Always a Wasp

Author Topic: WW look to be moving forward.  (Read 4172 times)

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: WW look to be moving forward.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 04:48:20 PM »
What odds on a 2nd tier breakaway?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 05:19:25 PM »
What odds on a 2nd tier breakaway?

It is what I suggested before. The RFU only have 100% control because they say they do. There is no law saying they are the only body, is there? In the USA, didn't the body that ran rugby fold and a new body emerge? New body, new league?

Maybe I misremember what happened over there.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 05:27:21 PM »
I know it is over 100 years ago for a precedent, but didn't rugby league do exactly that.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2023, 09:09:57 PM »
Perhaps the new version could be called Honest Rugby ? where scrums have a straight feed, shirts are made from cotton (so scrums can bind properly), and anyone who gets caught cheating gets slung out and forfeits their shares.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2023, 09:17:22 PM »
There  might not be many Clubs left.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2023, 10:44:36 PM »
In the business world the shambolic performance of the RFU of late would mean they'd lose their right to the contract and it would be going out to competitive tender. Not sure I can bear to support an England team that represents the RFU in the Six Nations.

Probably find one of the conditions we aren't able to meet is both us and Worcs aren't allowed to tackle above the ankles!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2023, 12:13:20 PM »
One huge factor is having to pay 'rugby creditors'. That will run in to tens of millions.

Any sensible investor will say, why pay that? If they are not out and out Wasps die hards, why not pick any other Championship side, and invest in them? That team will have a ground (albeit with potentially little or no infrastructure), a team, coaches, etc.

Having to throw tens of millions down a black hole for a brand that has no ground, no team, no coaches, is a really big ask.

It is this basic conundrum that made me question whether a comeback was even possible, for either team. I still hold to that. I simply do not see it happening.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2023, 12:38:45 PM »
Not sure the rugby creditors runs to multi millions. Certainly a large amount if the level of money said to be due to Brad ( who I think was the highest amount due to the existing players).

Do wonder if the Happy New Year tweet will be the last thing we hear. Also notice that the positivity emanating from Pudsey stopped a fair while ago - or maybe he was told to can it.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2023, 12:40:38 PM »
One huge factor is having to pay 'rugby creditors'. That will run in to tens of millions.

Any sensible investor will say, why pay that? If they are not out and out Wasps die hards, why not pick any other Championship side, and invest in them? That team will have a ground (albeit with potentially little or no infrastructure), a team, coaches, etc.

Having to throw tens of millions down a black hole for a brand that has no ground, no team, no coaches, is a really big ask.

It is this basic conundrum that made me question whether a comeback was even possible, for either team. I still hold to that. I simply do not see it happening.

In my view it is all stymied by the fact that the phoenix Wasps have to play somewhere in the Coventry area. If they could be allowed to move back to the smoke they could re-assocaite with the amateur side at Twyford Avenue.

It was the RFU and PRL that backed the move to Coventry,as, I have been told," it would grow the game in the Midlands". So in my view they hold some responsibility.

More and more I am coming to the conclusion that we have seen the last of the non-amateur Wasps.

I hope I am wrong, because I have been a supporter of, first the Wasps Amateur First Team, and then the Professional Wasps team for 65 years, and currently there is a gap in my life.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2023, 12:42:18 PM »
I fear this site will fairly rapidly become a place dedicated to an amazing former team.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2023, 12:50:44 PM »
I fear this site will fairly rapidly become a place dedicated to an amazing former team.

I want to be proven wrong but I fear the same. To be honest, if it doesn't work out I'd rather someone come out and say "sorry everyone, we tried but couldn't make it work" than say something that keeps some of us hoping - dragging it out longer than needs be.

I'll be making the effort to go across to Pau to go and watch Dobby play at some point.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2023, 01:23:04 PM »

My initial view when Wasps first got into trouble was that they would go the way of London welsh. I still think that's the most likely outcome, but until that's official I will still hold out a glimmer of hope that something can be recovered.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2023, 01:37:52 PM »
I'll be making the effort to go across to Pau to go and watch Dobby play at some point.

At this rate, I'm not sure I'll be making much effort to watch any rugby at all. I'm not sure I'm even going to bother watching England tomorrow.

Rugby, in the land of its birth, is dying on its arse. Elite rugby is controlled by a shrinking, self-serving EPL with less teams, less players, less games, less fans, less exposure, less interest and surely less revenue and less investment. At all other levels, an incompetent RFU is determined to create division, and possibly two separate versions of the sport, by introducing new laws for some but not for others, based on nefarious "evidence" and causing dismay among just about everybody who enjoys watching and playing the game. 

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2023, 01:57:12 PM »

At this rate, I'm not sure I'll be making much effort to watch any rugby at all. I'm not sure I'm even going to bother watching England tomorrow.

Rugby, in the land of its birth, is dying on its arse. Elite rugby is controlled by a shrinking, self-serving EPL with less teams, less players, less games, less fans, less exposure, less interest and surely less revenue and less investment. At all other levels, an incompetent RFU is determined to create division, and possibly two separate versions of the sport, by introducing new laws for some but not for others, based on nefarious "evidence" and causing dismay among just about everybody who enjoys watching and playing the game.

I'll still be watching rugby, but it won't be English professional rugby that I'll be watching. It will likely be French rugby I'll watch. Any English rugby I'll watch will be my local Level 5 team.

I agree with your statement about elite rugby. You may be interested to have a read of my post on the "rugby is doomed" thread as to what I think will happen (it's a long post and can't be bothered to type it out again)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2023, 02:50:15 PM »
I find myself disagreeing with this. I re-read the 16th December statement. It confirms a ground HAS been agreed - just not communicated. It?s fairly bullish on the satisfaction of RFU requirements. It?s general tone is that we will be playing in 23-24. For me the lack of news is a positive indicator. Equally I don?t think for one minute we?re starting to recruit a squad in the next few weeks. Conversations with players/coaches will inevitably have already taken place. I?m hopeful.