Always a Wasp

Author Topic: WW look to be moving forward.  (Read 4190 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: WW look to be moving forward.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2023, 02:57:28 PM »
I wonder if the delay is largely around waiting to hear/see what happens with the Premiership.  Will it retain it's current format for the 2024/25 season or will it be restructured to Prem A + Prem B divsions with promotion and relegation between them?

If the latter is the case, there'll be a whole new funding structure and I wonder whether there is a benefit to delaying our 'come back' for a season,

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2023, 03:36:27 PM »
I wonder if the delay is largely around waiting to hear/see what happens with the Premiership.  Will it retain it's current format for the 2024/25 season or will it be restructured to Prem A + Prem B divsions with promotion and relegation between them?

If the latter is the case, there'll be a whole new funding structure and I wonder whether there is a benefit to delaying our 'come back' for a season,

First point - can't see that because the reorganisation is down to RFU/PRL and they are the ones giving us the ultimatum.

Second point - I think it would be completely insane to delay a comeback. By autumn 2024 the vast majority of supporters will have rearranged their lives to exclude Wasps.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2023, 03:50:59 PM »
The issue with us is the money, and the ground, it always was, and it has not been solved. Derek didn't have it. Or at least did not want to fund a loss making club. Fair enough, although his lack of comment damns him in my eyes as a self interested shark. Until he says anything he is as guilty as Worcester's owners but that is neither here nor there. Opprobrium is not going to pay bills.

The fan numbers are fine- better than most- and that is a matter of public record year on year. They can be looked up and have been repeated ad nauseum. Fine in Bucks and London, better in Cov, but decent by rugby standards. No matter how much  garbage we hear about London, Bucks or Coventry, it never was about the location. It is bullshit to suggest we will succeed on the back of being in a particular area. Bullshit. It is, and always has been, about the money the owner has and is willing to lose, and owning the ground.
Own the ground and but without the debt to buy it and we will be as bad as all the others, slightly buggered long term and unable to make the money we need to break even but not making huge losses. Middle if the pack bad. Without the ground it is like  AP. Untenable long term no matter how full the ground is. So I can't see us working unless serious dough is available. It has gone for a Burton, and we won't be finding it soon.
I am extremely pessimistic even if the championship has us next year- no stable roots and many long term fans not going to turn up for Championship rugby unless  we have hope of escape.
That, plus the lack of punishment for cheats at the top, make English rugby a deeply unattractive long term prospect for me.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2023, 04:14:17 PM »
For those who have fallen out of love with rugby, I understand.
BUT, there's a whole world of rugby out there to enjoy. Find your local amateur club, go and watch them on a Saturday, have a beer & a burger & speak to REAL rugby fans & players. Go and watch the juniors & women play on Sunday. Its a totally refreshing difference to the pro & international game. Hopefully it will remind you why you started watching rugby in the first place & you can fall in love with it all over again.

Just to warn you, you WILL be asked if you've ever played &, irrespective of the answer, you WILL get asked if you would like a run out next week! Age & ability won't matter  :)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2023, 10:31:26 PM »
I fear this site will fairly rapidly become a place dedicated to an amazing former team.

I want to be proven wrong but I fear the same. To be honest, if it doesn't work out I'd rather someone come out and say "sorry everyone, we tried but couldn't make it work" than say something that keeps some of us hoping - dragging it out longer than needs be.

I'll be making the effort to go across to Pau to go and watch Dobby play at some point.

Yep, I think Racing for me. Two players I loved watching at Wasps there. I will be wearing a Wasps shirt if I do go though.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2023, 11:36:07 AM »
The cold reality is that, unless 'we' can find a philanthropist, who is prepared to pay off the debt and then put up money for future investment, we are dead in the water.

I wonder if Jim Ratcliffe fancies 'Ineos Wasps'?

Nobody with a business brain is going to take us on, for sure.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2023, 01:58:25 PM »
The cold reality is that, unless 'we' can find a philanthropist, who is prepared to pay off the debt and then put up money for future investment, we are dead in the water.

I wonder if Jim Ratcliffe fancies 'Ineos Wasps'?

Nobody with a business brain is going to take us on, for sure.
Well JLR are going massive on the Defender this year including the world cup.
The demographic of rugby lends itself to the 4x4 including ex players being paid to big them up on social media.
If he wants a foothold for the Grenadier stranger things have happened.
Pigs might fly mind.