Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Article - Is Rugby Doomed?  (Read 1782 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Article - Is Rugby Doomed?
« on: January 30, 2023, 10:35:38 PM »

Is rugby doomed? Why the game's kingpins are so divided on an existential crisis

With scandals ? from sexism, clubs going bust and controversial tackle laws ? rocking the sport, Telegraph Sport looks at rugby's future
By Ben Rumsby 30 January 2023 ? 4:00pm

Rugby union is in permacrisis. Less than three decades since turning professional, the game feels under siege like never before amid a toxic cocktail of controversy, calamity and scandal that has left clubs, players and supporters in open revolt.

It has been plagued by bad news, from the collapse of Wasps and Worcester Warriors, to major sexism, racism, bullying and corruption scandals, to multimillion-pound lawsuits brought by former players over brain injuries. The sport is now fighting a mutiny over a seismic change to the tackle law critics have branded the final nail in its coffin.

Reports of its demise may prove greatly exaggerated. The Six Nations, which starts this week, will be among the best-attended and most-watched events of the year, as will a World Cup that promises to be the biggest ever, while last year?s women?s tournament was widely regarded as game-changing for the sport.

But all this, and other causes for optimism, do not alter the fact that the game feels increasingly in a fight for its very existence, inevitably raising the question: is rugby doomed?

'It's not been a great year for rugby... the whole thing needs ripping up'

Among those to have warned of its demise has been Nick Easter, who posted #deathofthegame on Twitter in response to the Rugby Football Union?s announcement it was banning tackling above the waist at amateur level. The former England and Harlequins number eight was also defence and forwards coach at Worcester when they were plunged into administration and is now director of rugby at National League One side Chinnor RFC.

?It?s not been a great year for the game, has it?? he joked, before stressing he was serious when he aired his ?concerns? about the fate of the sport. Those have only deepened in the aftermath of the bombshell announcement of arguably the biggest change to the way rugby is played since the game became professional. Warnings that banning tackles above the waistline would lead to players quitting the game proved prophetic, with Easter saying two members of his Chinnor squad told him they would do just that. He added of the law change: ?They?ve legally been forced to change it, haven?t they, really, with all the lawsuits going on??

Easter gave an equally blunt assessment of the overall state of the game and why it had become so beleaguered. ?The whole thing needs ripping up and redoing,? he said. He pinned much of the blame on its failure to prioritise quality over quantity, from the number or scheduling of fixtures to the overall player and fan experience. ?Less is more,? he said, comparing rugby?s business model unfavourably to that of American football.

Branding some of those running the game ?incompetent?, he said: ?A lot of them are obsolete. They?re not open-minded enough with their views, they?re not experimental enough and, sometimes, they think no change is better. They don?t want to be the one to zag when everyone?s zigging in case they get ousted. Other people are just nodding their heads like the Churchill dog saying, ?Yeah, yeah, yeah. But as long as I?m all right, Jack?, without a thought for the game.?

He added: ?It?s only when it gets so bad and so desperate that they get off their a---- and make a change.?

It does not get much more desperate than the collapse of Worcester and Wasps. That, and the fallout from it, was recently the subject of a damning report by MPs, one of whom proclaimed the elite game in England was ?in disarray?.

'We were screwed over by owners who never had rugby in their interest'

Matt Kvesic was coached by Easter at Sixways. He was among the players there fortunate enough to remain a professional after being picked up by Zebre Parma.

?The game?s on a bit of a knife-edge,? said Kvesic, who admitted being ?nervous in the sense that it seems to be one thing after another at the moment?. He added: ?Do I think rugby?s doomed? No. I think there is a solution but it?s going to take a lot of time.? That solution, according to the flanker, is attracting the right sort of investment ? ?We were screwed over by two owners who never had rugby at the heart of their interest in the club? ? and making the sport more appealing. ?Certain things don?t help that,? he said. ?Like drastically changing these rules the other week that came seemingly out of the blue.?
Fans gather outside Worcester Warriors rugby club as the announcement is made that the club is to be suspended from the league. Christine Morgan is overcome with emotion.
Worcester went into administration last year Credit: Andrew Fox for The Telegraph

For Christian Day, voices like Kvesic?s have for too long been ignored within the game.

?We?ve been through some really, really challenging times,? said the former Northampton lock, who was recently elected general secretary of the Rugby Players Association.

?We can?t sit still. If we sit still, other sports will overtake rugby union. That?s a fact of life.?

Key to avoiding that, according to Day, is making players ?partners in the game?. He added: ?It is all about being willing to listen, perhaps, to non-traditional voices in the game and look at ways of growing and adapting and innovating.?

Sweeney: 'Rugby's future is bright'

The RFU?s abject failure to consult amateur players before banning tackles above the waist is precisely what triggered the eruption of arguably the biggest backlash to any of the crises engulfing the sport.

What does its chief executive, Bill Sweeney, make of talk about the game?s demise?

?I feel that rugby?s future is actually bright,? said Sweeney when asked if its ?torrent of issues? had become an existential threat. ?You might think I?m deluding myself or you might think that?s expected for me to say.?

He added: ?There are some days when you think, ?Oh God, not another thing we?re going to have to deal with?. But we just knuckle down and get on with it.?

For how long Sweeney will be allowed to ?get on with it? is unclear. He was already facing calls to resign following the collapse of Wasps and Worcester, which have only grown in the wake of the RFU?s humiliating apology for its botched handling of the tackle law change.

Reflecting on a fiasco that has left him facing a vote of no confidence at a special general meeting, Sweeney said: ?We?re happy to actually hold our hands up and say, ?Maybe we should?ve handled this differently?.?

But he stood firm over the basis for the law change, a combination of what he called overwhelming ?scientific evidence? and ?lawsuit challenges? by brain-injured former players. He added: ?You can?t just be in possession of that information and do nothing.?

Far from killing the game, reducing the legal tackle height is one of several measures Sweeney hopes will safeguard its future. Acknowledging ?pressures around participation levels? that had been compounded by the coronavirus crisis, he said: ?Kids now have more choices available to them in terms of how they spend their free time. They?re less willing to commit to perhaps training sessions during the week and how much time it takes up to play an organised team sport. So, we know that, in order for the game to thrive and the game to grow, we have to be more reflective of what society wants.?

A failure to get it right at grass-roots level will merely compound an ongoing crisis in elite rugby in England, which has already led to the collapse of two of the country?s biggest clubs and has threatened to see more go to the wall.

Sweeney admitted the RFU had not had ?the necessary regulatory vehicles in place to be able to intervene? when it came to the downfall of Wasps and Worcester but promised this was now being addressed.

Massie-Taylor: 'I'm excited about the future'

Simon Massie-Taylor was brought in to clean up the mess Premiership clubs found themselves in post-pandemic. The loss of two of them is a damning indictment on the game given top-flight teams were bailed out by the Government to the tune of ?124 million, more than any other professional sports league. That bailout was also a loan, which will need to be repaid by clubs who would have gone to the wall without it. They are living on borrowed time.

?Is rugby doomed?? said Massie-Taylor, appointed Premiership Rugby chief executive just over a year ago. ?No. I?m very confident and excited about the future.?

It includes that of the Premiership itself, with Massie-Taylor putting his faith in a rescue plan that includes cutting it to 10 teams, aligning it with the Championship, and introducing a sporting commission and financial monitoring panel. But none of this works while clubs continue to lose millions of pounds a year.

?My number one job is to create a platform that attracts future investors and continues to grow the sport,? Massie-Taylor added. Already a major challenge during a recession and cost-of-living crisis, the reputational damage that has been inflicted on the game has made that all the harder. One potential investor is known to have been put off by the recent report by MPs that accused Massie-Taylor of a ?very complacent belief? that plans to increase revenues and improve collaboration would solve annual losses averaging around ?4 million per club.

'I think there is significant change'

Saracens are one of those clubs, and their chief executive, Lucy Wray, warned that talk of rugby being doomed risked becoming a ?self-fulfilling prophecy?. Describing herself as ?glass half-full?, she argued it was ?an incredibly exciting time? for the sport, particularly in the women?s game.

She added: ?Yes, there are some difficulties, but I think they?re being worked through and I think there is significant change. And a lot of this comes because people don?t like change. But change is happening.?

It is not just in England that rugby is beset by major crises. The exposure of a shocking sexism, racism and homophobia scandal at the Welsh Rugby Union has cast a huge shadow over the start of the Six Nations, resulting in its chief executive Steve Phillips handing in his resignation at the weekend. And the build-up to the World Cup in France has been thrown into chaos by bullying and corruption scandals. The rot extends right to the very top of the game, with World Rugby?s own vice-chairman, Bernard Laporte, having recently been convicted of a string of corruption charges. Laporte stood down as the French Rugby Federation president last week.

'Doing nothing is not an option'

Alan Gilpin is the most powerful executive in the sport. World Rugby?s chief executive, it is his job to keep watch on the overall health of the game.

?I don?t think, globally, the sport?s under siege,? he said. ?The reality is every sport that is sufficiently global has always got challenges in one part of the world or another, and that?s certainly the case for rugby. And maybe that?s as a result of the growth we?ve experienced.?

That growth recently saw Egypt, Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo become associate members of World Rugby, while Gilpin also pointed to last year?s Women?s World Cup being the ?most successful event in the history of women?s rugby? and ?unprecedented demand for tickets? for this year?s men?s equivalent.

World Rugby is also poised to launch a global law trial of a lower legal tackle height as part of a wider drive to win over those who see the sport as unsafe.

?One of the things that rugby needs to do better, globally ? and it?s good in some parts of the world and not so much in others ? is make sure we?re attracting everyone who wants to play rugby,? Gilpin said. ?So, let?s make sure we?ve got a non-contact version of the sport for everybody. We lose too many people as participants in rugby at the point where they might have decided that, ?Actually, this level of contact is not for me?.?

Warning that ?doing nothing is definitely not an option?, he added: ?If we can get it right, it can be the making of the sport.?
Let me tell you something cucumber

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Article - Is Rugby Doomed?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 08:29:02 AM »
It certainly isn't in rude health. They said they would make rugby more popular than football! If ridiculous statements like that form the basis of a strategy then there isn't much hope. Although the constant tinkering around the edges followed by a radical change that separates the amateur game from the professional doesn't really suggest any sort of strategy. Unless the strategy is to appease people who don't care about the game push away those that do.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 08:38:18 AM »
Nothing that hasn't been said by old fogeys like me for years. But nothing changed, and I see no evidence it is changing (at least for the good) now. You can hear much the same in any club across the land.

I do not know how well 'supported' rugby is. It can be miserable to watch any outdoor sport live in British winter weather, so you would expect only a hardcore of 'fans' to stand in the cold. Well, I say stand, but for me that has to be somewhere to sit, as I physically can't stand for more than a few minutes without being in pain.

I wonder what the age, gender and race profile of the supporter base is? I can see with my own eyes who turns up to games; predominantly ex-players, white, 50+, male. What is it truly worth to potential sponsors? Not a lot apparently.

Compared to football, the basic game costs more to run. At professional level, to attract players to make a career commitment, money has to be paid. The money that the fans and sponsors are willing to put in barely covers operating costs, and certainly not player wages.

The only hope is to increase the armchair viewership and thus attract more (valuable) sponsors and advertising. Free to air TV deals, social media (like YouTube). I cannot see the Premiership doing a deal like that, but surely, with today's technology, doing something in the Championship must be possible? Not the high quality we come to expect from Premiership and 6 Nations. Think more of something better than standing on a muddy touchline at eye level with people and stand stanchions in the way.

The game needs money, and it isn't going to come from people on touchlines. The people who do have the money aren't going to hand it over for access to the current demographics.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 08:40:31 AM by NellyWellyWaspy »

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 10:45:25 AM »
Years ago when I started playing rugby at school and for my local team all tackling was below the waist. Obviously the game has changed over the last 40 years, but in all these stories reporting "players will quit the game" no-one has asked those players why?

Is it a fear of injury to yourself as a tackler if you have to tackle low all the time? Is it fear as the tackled player? Is it simply if I can't hit 'em hard and stop 'em dead like Rugby League I don't want to play Union?

I no longer play and haven't for years, hence I cannot understand why saying tackle waist and below = well I'm not playing anymore then.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 06:31:28 PM »
It certainly has its challenges at the moment. For me personally it?s three main issues are 1) On these isles the domestic leagues are in trouble. Aside from being financially unsustainable the Gallagher Premiership is stale, repetitive and uninteresting. It hasn?t recovered from Wasps & Wuss?s demise and if they take it to 10 for me, it?s gone. The URC is a farce with some teams just paying it lip service 2) The game is now so complex to the untrained eye that it?s a huge barrier to attracting badly needed new support. The new proposed tackle laws will build on this with an element of farce added. I?ve spoken to loads of people who say if the laws come in they?ll simply stop watching. 3) The game has become dominated by size. The way to more injury free, entertaining rugby has to be to reduce player size. Limiting substitutions, looking at breakdown laws etc are possible vehicles for achieving this.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 10:29:27 AM »
Aside from being financially unsustainable the Gallagher Premiership is stale, repetitive and uninteresting.

Sorry, can't agree with that. Pretty much any team can beat any other. Games are close & actually would be very exciting if I had anything other than a passing interest in the results.
Those supporters of the remaining 11 teams should be having a pretty good time!

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 10:53:53 AM »
Aside from being financially unsustainable the Gallagher Premiership is stale, repetitive and uninteresting.

Sorry, can't agree with that. Pretty much any team can beat any other. Games are close & actually would be very exciting if I had anything other than a passing interest in the results.

Except that Saracens with their financial doping will win it at a canter.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 11:07:34 AM »
I think you may be right that Sarries will win it, but I don't think it will be at a canter, any team can beat any other on the day. They should really have lost at the weekend to Bristol, who are bottom of the table....

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:12:31 PM »
This is all a bit radical but in my opinion no news is because the RFU/PRL are completely clueless. They will continue with false platitudes and do nothing. This season I expect no promotion from the Championship, next season no Wasps or Worcester in the Championship and in the meantime 2 or 3 more premiership teams to go into administration.

My prediction (and I stress it's only a prediction) is that this is what the RFU/PRL want. The next Professional Game Agreement, due in 2024, will be announced with a massive fanfare as a completely ring fenced professional league of 8 teams with no salary cap,  will take the majority of funding and will be controlled by sugar daddies. It will be lauded as the saviour of english rugby (England). The RFU will pay lip service to the Championship - maybe 2 conferences of 8 semi-professional teams each. There will be token funding. Wasps, Worcester plus those who have fallen by the wayside in the meantime will be "allowed" back then.

I hope to God I'm wrong.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 09:25:17 PM »

I know what you?re saying. The games themselves are probably entertaining. For me it?s more that the whole thing is teetering on the edge of credibility. The same teams on tv every week - results in the same analysis - results in repetition = stale. It?s not really the content of the games, it?s the thing itself as a league. I?m very probably biased as Wasps aren?t part of it.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 09:03:51 AM »
I know what you?re saying. The games themselves are probably entertaining. For me it?s more that the whole thing is teetering on the edge of credibility. The same teams on tv every week - results in the same analysis - results in repetition = stale. It?s not really the content of the games, it?s the thing itself as a league. I?m very probably biased as Wasps aren?t part of it.

Yep, pretty much that.
But like I said, if you are a fan of another club, you would probably think nothing much is wrong....

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 12:06:43 PM »
Fundamentally, the game isn't doomed but I'd say we are definitely looking at the game becoming increasingly fractured.

This will be a case of "them and us".

For the "them" - I think what we will see is the consolidation of power between the RFU/men's England team and those clubs who have owners who have enough money to go along for the ride. Those clubs will continue to provide the main talent pool for the England side. The rest will either collapse trying to keep up, or will bail before collapsing. We will then end up with a small English league made up of those elite clubs. The league will have no relegation but may have some system like the Premier 15's, where clubs can be invited in and out as seen fit - I'd imagine some invites will be political (for example, Tigers have been able to add their women's team - set up in 2021 to the Premier 15's at the expense of Wasps Women). This may not be called the Premiership, but be given some new marketable name (I'm not a marketing type of guy but inspiration could be taken from "Super League"/"Super Rugby"/"Premier Rugby". This will be fully professional. This new league could/would then be modernised and marketed to today's audience, meaning laws will continue to be tinkered with, this may be on a league-only basis or may be an RFU directive (such as changes due to safety). I'd imagine there will still be a salary cap but it will be much higher. For this to work for them, the governing bodies of the league will need to be forward thinking and realise that, to increase visibility of the sport, they cannot keep rugby as an old boy's club. Broadcasting would be to the highest bidder (Prime Video, BT, Sky et al)

For the "us" - all the clubs that don't make the grade will be left to fend for themselves and either join the Championship or create a new league (similar to the Welsh hierarchy at the moment, where you have the regions in the URC and then you have the Welsh Premiership below that). Funding will be dramatically different to the new "Super League", which may only consist of a token gesture sum from the RFU at best. Players are not likely to gain international recognition from this league, so would need to move to a "Super League" club to get that. The benefit of this new league would be that it would be far more representative of English rugby than the Premiership at the moment (in the current Premiership set up, if Newcastle are ever relegated, there is no representation north of Manchester). This league will be semi-professional for the most part, with maybe 1 or 2 clubs looking to win a successful application to the new "Super League" - similar to how Ealing are trying to get into the Premiership now. Laws will only change if there is an RFU directive, leading to potential clashes in the way that the game is played between leagues. Broadcasting could work better, you might be able to buy a package for your club only or the games shown on FTA or YouTube as examples.

I don't even really know where to begin with grassroots, so I'll leave that discussion for someone else.

The women's game will continue as it is.

TL;DR The RFU and the rich clubs go off into the sunset to go and earn all the money and leave the rest of the clubs in the country behind. The women will be fine.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 12:14:48 PM by jamestaylor002 »

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 02:14:24 PM »
Grassroots rugby is in reasonable health post Covid. Adult male teams still have problems with numbers bit that will always be an issue. Very few sides get out more than a 1st & 2nd 15, with the occasional 3rd or vets.
Minis & Juniors is thriving. The real success story is Girls & Womens rugby where interest & numbers is growing every year.

The problem since the top level went pro has always been that pro & amateur rugby have different problems & issues. High tackles really are not a major issue outside of the top level. So bringing in rules & guidelines to fix those issues & trying to impose them where its not needed cause unnecessary friction.
For example someone at the RFU said there were on average 10 high tackles in a game & thats why they needed to lower the tackle height. In a season of watching my local amateur clubs 1st 15 play in Counties 1 Kent league I dont think I saw 10 high tackles in total. For the entire season!

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 08:33:41 PM »
I agree with you 100% jamestaylor002

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 12:46:06 PM »
Grassroots rugby is in reasonable health post Covid. Adult male teams still have problems with numbers bit that will always be an issue. Very few sides get out more than a 1st & 2nd 15, with the occasional 3rd or vets.
Minis & Juniors is thriving. The real success story is Girls & Womens rugby where interest & numbers is growing every year.

The problem since the top level went pro has always been that pro & amateur rugby have different problems & issues. High tackles really are not a major issue outside of the top level. So bringing in rules & guidelines to fix those issues & trying to impose them where its not needed cause unnecessary friction.
For example someone at the RFU said there were on average 10 high tackles in a game & thats why they needed to lower the tackle height. In a season of watching my local amateur clubs 1st 15 play in Counties 1 Kent league I dont think I saw 10 high tackles in total. For the entire season!

I'm glad that M&Js is thriving, it wasn't long ago there was concern about children playing the game due to risks of concussion etc.

I'm enjoying the girls and women's rugby success story. I know a fair few people who have become engaged with the sport because of the women's game. These are people who've had no desire to engage with rugby before, so the women must be doing something right!