Always a Wasp

Author Topic: SLAMMED  (Read 788 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
SLAMMED
« on: January 31, 2023, 10:22:24 AM »
BBC doc. about Welsh rugby in the very late 60s and 70s, well worth a watch, I  came to rugby in the middle 70s so was unaware of the nonsense of amateurism pre 70s, eg. no training together, no coaching, not allowed to discuss tactics, had to supply your own track suit, turn up at Twickenham do a few push ups in the car park and then run out on to the pitch and play. The other thing that struck me was the amount of round the neck tackles and I don't mean seat belt, these were almost clothesline jobs, seemed to be a legal tackle in those days, the fazlet would be in his element, anyway well worth a watch, It's on the BBC I player   

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: SLAMMED
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 10:34:23 AM »
I might give that a watch - by the time I was old enough to play rugby, the game was professional so it would be good to watch.

No doubt seat belt / clothesline tackles are dangerous at any time but I wonder if, due to players relatively smaller sizes, they had the same impact as they do now? Not saying by any stretch that it was OK!

The one thing I have seen (when looking on YouTube) is how quick scrums were. I'd bet a good 5 (maybe more) could be completed in the time it takes a modern scrum to be completed!

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: SLAMMED
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 10:53:02 AM »
You are right about the scrums, the other thing I forgot were the memory's of sitting with my Welsh father in law watching England getting slaughtered yet again, still he did introduce me to Rugby so I thank him for that.