Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Spoiler: Eng v Scot  (Read 3392 times)

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Spoiler: Eng v Scot
« on: February 04, 2023, 06:35:58 PM »
Only followed the score.

Am I wrong for being happy Scotland beat England? Am I even worse for hoping everyone beats England?

Answers on a postcard.

Not bitter at all (sarcasm)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler: Eng v Scot
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 06:48:14 PM »
Only followed the score.

Am I wrong for being happy Scotland beat England? Am I even worse for hoping everyone beats England?

Answers on a postcard.

Not bitter at all (sarcasm)
Scotland deserved the win for their ambition, but England were about the best they?ve been for a long time. It was a good game and restored a bit of my faith.

Still a lot for Rngland to do, but I?m a lot more positive than I was under Eddie. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 07:03:24 PM »
England at least tried to play. The Scots found too many holes and spaces. If Ben Curry is a better back rower than Willis I?ve been watching the wrong game. Hate to say it but we lost it when the likes of Youngs, Vunipola and Cole came on and we had an ineffectual 12. Not picking on the same people but they are consistent themes with selection and poor England performance.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 07:09:14 PM »
First time I've smiled about a rugby game in ages.

That 1/4 Scottish blood is running strong in my veins today.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 07:22:58 PM »
No Scottish blood in my veins (that I know of) but .....  hooray!  Well done Scotland.  I  didn't watch the match but was told Scotland was a one-man team, and  England's defence was rubbish,   mainly consisting of arms held wide out and spinning round like revolving doors.  It didn't work.  I don't think I missed too much.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 07:48:03 PM »
You missed some good tries Wonky - mainly from Ven Der Merwe. I felt like I was watching as a neutral - which made it a decent watch. Borthwick has a lot to do - priorities are finding a 9, 12 and 13 and digging out the Willis brothers phone numbers.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 08:11:34 PM »
Thanks Shugs - but I just can't bring myself to watch an England game. Well not yet. Not until there's a Wasp and I don't mean Daly.  Maybe I'll get back to watching again.  Bit depressed by it all!!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 09:11:57 PM »
All this stuff about Scotland being their best in a generation or whatever is a distraction.   They are a solid second class rugby nation, who England should be beating at home, and SA, NZ, FRA and IRE won't be shipping 4 tries at home to them, no matter how much energy they have.
Our last three shameful years of 6n mediocrity obfuscates the fact that Scotland have not been winning against everyone else, they have not been embarrassed of course, as they have been when at their lowest, but they have been chugging along as they always do. They have always mugged the odd top team, but this was no mugging of a superior team by plucky Scots, this was a second rate England being beaten by a slightly better team. England have no divine right to best Scotland, nor to win every 6n match at HQ, but the thing today is quite a few people won't be surprised because we are in a mess.
The issue is Eddie has left us in a mess, and the game generally is a mess. The game is a mess in Wales and England off the pitch, and this is reflected on the pitch. Fundamentally instead of developing a team to win the WC by picking players in form in their positions we had 3 years of bullshit like Ellis Genge standing at fullback with all the effectiveness of a wet fart hanging off a Christmas tree.  Poor old Borthwick has to pick players who should have been picked two years ago, whilst keeping some experience, against a backdrop of a disrupted season.
Our 12 today was a pile of shit, too, but apparently he is a test natch animal, so it's fine.  ::)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 09:22:35 PM »
Agree with all of that WWW. Either Farrell plays 10 or he doesn?t play. And Smith (and Ford) are better 10?s so he doesn?t play. Launchbury must look on at the likes of Itoje, Hill, Isiekwe and Ribbans and wonder what he?s done wrong. Jones has departed and left us with a real mess. Three years of ridiculousness that Borthwick now has to fix. He may have the imagination but I don?t think he has the players.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 09:30:33 PM »
Agree with you about where Scotland sit, WWW.

Beating England will also serve as a distraction in itself, too. I've seen many seasons where Scotland have finished 4th or 5th but "at least we beat England".

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 09:43:59 PM »

Beating England will also serve as a distraction in itself, too. I've seen many seasons where Scotland have finished 4th or 5th but "at least we beat England".

But that is all that matters.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 09:59:55 PM »
It was the first time I have sat and watched rugby since Wasps went into administration. I only watched the second half and found myself enjoying how Scotland were prepared/empowered to pass the ball. Overall, my heart wasn't in it though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 10:02:46 PM by Brandnewtorugby »

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 10:17:37 PM »
England have been left in a hole since Jones decided after Covid kicked in to use the 6Ns as a testing ground and to select favourites regardless.

This can be seen most clearly in the late 2020 Italy game where regardless, we kicked, and did it over 40 times against a team we were beating easily. But better ball in hand stats that day.  And in the 2021 Scotland game and others, where we selected Championship players, off the pace and pissed on the the chips of new younger players like Lawrence and Martin and didn't give players like Dan a chance.

We then used last 6N's to try other stuff - running into defenders vs Scotland and failing to have any tactical sense. I suppose the problem in a nutshell was we missed Ford and pissing about with some master plan whilst losing so many games doesn't work as a RWC strategy.

The RFU have done their worst and left matters to wander and given Sinfield and Borthers no time to try and engender a new way of playing. Odd sparks of good play today. But as predicted, too little time to work on defence, breakdown and patterns in attack. There's nothing that the average Prem side couldn't do what with passing flat and trying cut outs. But compared to England 2016, i.e.  Lancaster's team "given the hairdryer" it was an inept and misfit of a performance.

As I wrote somewhere else, there's a lot riding on this game as lose it and you go to Cardiff really needing a result before playing France and Ireland.

I too was hoping Scotland would win, if only to get some real thinking to happen. Let's hope that's possible....

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 10:25:42 PM »

But that is all that matters.

I know it is and whilst that's the thinking it'll hold them back.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 10:36:31 PM »
Our 12 today was a pile of shit, too, but apparently he is a test natch animal, so it's fine.  ::)

Don't forget his reliability off the tee which we couldn't do without.

(For those that didn't see it, he missed a couple of absolute sitters)