Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps to Sixways - Telegraph  (Read 18613 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps to Sixways - Telegraph
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2023, 06:05:47 PM »
Wasps did NOT announce anything in December -

err, yes they did. The Wasps website posted the news item "Wasps confirm return for 23/24 season" on 16th Dec. It contained the following:
"a groundshare agreement has been reached with a Midlands venue ? which will be announced in the near future ? to host its home games."

They did not state where which was the original post.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2023, 09:13:55 AM »

Read my post again Neils

"this is all rather confusing.
Wasps announced they had agreed a stadium share back in December and it would be announced in due course.
You would assume that to get approval from the RFU they would need to be able to prove they had somewhere suitable to play.
now we we get a statement saying nothing has been agreed.....

Hope we get some clarity soon"

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2023, 09:28:29 AM »

Read my post again Neils

"this is all rather confusing.
Wasps announced they had agreed a stadium share back in December and it would be announced in due course.
You would assume that to get approval from the RFU they would need to be able to prove they had somewhere suitable to play.
now we we get a statement saying nothing has been agreed.....

Hope we get some clarity soon"

But the thread is Sixwas.

Clarity this week is necessary. Was supposed to be Tuesday but I suspect Atlas may have annoyed some people.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2023, 10:40:34 AM »
Atlas  seem to be playing with fire, and risk losing a possible tenant methinks.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2023, 11:23:09 AM »
The possible issue Wasps have is if they have secured enough funding to be fairly confident of being promoted within 3 years. To avoid the same problems Ealing have had, they would need to be playing in an appropriately sized stadium. Which Sixways certainly is.

So maybe Soluhill was seen as a ground suitable for a phoenix club at the start but ambitions have moved forward.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2023, 11:43:46 AM »
The possible issue Wasps have is if they have secured enough funding to be fairly confident of being promoted within 3 years. To avoid the same problems Ealing have had, they would need to be playing in an appropriately sized stadium. Which Sixways certainly is.

So maybe Soluhill was seen as a ground suitable for a phoenix club at the start but ambitions have moved forward.

I'm all for ambition, but that sounds a bit delusional to me :)

Covguy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2023, 12:11:32 PM »
Apologies if missed in thread anywhere. But what is puzzling me is the mention that wasps will train and base operations at six ways. Why need to train there given Henley? That doesn?t stack up to me.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2023, 12:20:01 PM »
I have faith in the new Wasps leadership and I would rather we only make statements when they are true and accurate. For me, this is what builds trust with the club as I would know to discount (or at least take with a shovel of salt) any rumour relating to the club until confirmed/rejected by the club itself. I trust that the work being done now is formalising a deal with the chosen venue as any deal was subject to RFU approving our proposal.

What appears to me is that Atlas are either na?ve or cynical. I'm leaning towards the latter but feel that there is some of the former at play (I'm no business expert, this is my own perception). It might be true that Wasps have an agreement in principle to play at Sixways - perhaps Sixways was a venue included in our proposal to the RFU. However, I don't think including this as part of Atlas's supporters meeting was the correct thing to do as it's only an agreement in principle - it's not a given. Particularly when it must've been know that photos would be taken and shared online, though it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of the plan.

I think Wasps need to play at a venue that allows them to grow sustainably. If that's at the Moors, so be it. The Premiership will be a goal of the Phoenix club but there's no point chasing after it if we end up in the same hole as before.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2023, 12:22:29 PM »
I have faith in the new Wasps leadership and I would rather we only make statements when they are true and accurate. For me, this is what builds trust with the club as I would know to discount (or at least take with a shovel of salt) any rumour relating to the club until confirmed/rejected by the club itself. I trust that the work being done now is formalising a deal with the chosen venue as any deal was subject to RFU approving our proposal.

What appears to me is that Atlas are either na?ve or cynical. I'm leaning towards the latter but feel that there is some of the former at play (I'm no business expert, this is my own perception). It might be true that Wasps have an agreement in principle to play at Sixways - perhaps Sixways was a venue included in our proposal to the RFU. However, I don't think including this as part of Atlas's supporters meeting was the correct thing to do as it's only an agreement in principle - it's not a given. Particularly when it must've been know that photos would be taken and shared online, though it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of the plan.

I think Wasps need to play at a venue that allows them to grow sustainably. If that's at the Moors, so be it. The Premiership will be a goal of the Phoenix club but there's no point chasing after it if we end up in the same hole as before.

+1

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2023, 02:49:20 PM »
Covguy: The comment about Wasps training as well as playing at Sixway was made by Atlas, not Wasps. Yet another inaccurate comment like the one that there is an agreement in principle that we will play at Sixways.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2023, 02:50:29 PM »
James  ...  that is brilliant, and exactly how I (for one) feel.  I don't see Wasps as Warrior's Saviour  but I think they could be up the creek without us.  Warriors don't seem to trust Atlas and neither do I (fwiw)  and I would imagine that the Legends are checking all minutia and each word exchanged.  Presumably Legends have not committed to anything yet.  Right now a bit of bridge building needs to be done......  by Atlas.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2023, 03:39:51 PM »
Must admit Atlas don?t fill me with any confidence. If at all possible I?d like to swerve them. The venue people don?t seem to be discussing is the CBSA. Short term of course. I agree, there?s no way we?ll be training anywhere but Henley - another statement from Atlas that makes me want to avoid them is the one around that.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2023, 04:12:08 PM »
I wonder what the cost difference would be between playing at Solihull and playing at Sixways.

Could we make Sixways economically viable? It seems like a hell of a gamble to take to move to a new city, hire a big stadium with no certainty as to how full it would be. We're just emerging from the wreckage of having done just that.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2023, 04:20:20 PM »
I wonder what the cost difference would be between playing at Solihull and playing at Sixways.

Could we make Sixways economically viable? It seems like a hell of a gamble to take to move to a new city, hire a big stadium with no certainty as to how full it would be. We're just emerging from the wreckage of having done just that.

I suppose it also depends on the terms. What would Wasps be responsible for? At a HUGE guess (and maybe wrong), let's say we play at the Moors as a tenant. Therefore, limited responsibility for the ground (apart from pitch maintenance perhaps) whereas Sixways we might be responsible for the ground as well on top. Playing in Solihull might cost the same as playing at Sixways (on face value) but the added responsibilities of playing at Sixways might make it more expensive. This is just one take, I could be totally off the mark, but the general principle remains the same.

It will also depend on who we are dealing with as well, I'd imagine. One group might be easier to work with, leading to stable/amicable relationships. From what I've seen so far, Atlas might not be a good option for that.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2023, 04:34:42 PM »
What surface do the Moors play on? Sixways is plastic.