Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps to Sixways - Telegraph  (Read 18799 times)

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps to Sixways - Telegraph
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2023, 08:41:11 AM »
Right. What does OAWAAW mean?

For clarity: that was rhetorical.

Point well made though, and thank to those that expanded it!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2023, 08:53:25 AM »
I thought it was ?Once at Wycombe although approaching Worcester?.

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2023, 08:53:48 AM »
I'm not sure leasing Sixways would be a good plan for New Wasps compared to say Solihull Moors.  That's if Moors has ever been a realistic option.  Why lease a ground that will still be far too big for at least the first 5 years with all the costs associated with it especially if Worcester is probably not the right location for Wasps anyway.  The club will get so much bad feeling once again, and again unjustifiably so, for moving into dead mens shoes.  I understand the ambition to be back in the Prem but we are trying to sprint before we can even stumble.  Without the P Shares then entry to the Prem is not possible anyway.

Keep it simple, keep it within a manageable budget and build the club back up from sustainable base point.

I can see though that for an investor and sponsor you are more likely to commit your money and bring your clients to a game at Sixways than a small non league football ground sat between massive warehouses.  Swings and roundabouts perhaps to securing the funds to get the club off the ground.

As for Warriors.  The new owners are buying their way in at a price point they can afford.  Wont be long before Stourbridge/Sixways RFC becomes Worcester Sixways, the original club at Stourbridge gets dropped and separated off and a new Worcster club emerges, free of the old debt and ready to go again.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 09:00:00 AM by Laterontoday »

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2023, 09:12:40 AM »

;D ;D ;D

#TooSoon

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2023, 09:13:51 AM »
As I understand it not having a P Share does not proclude you from the Premiership but it does exclude you from TV etc funding.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2023, 09:14:19 AM »

Naughty

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2023, 09:37:05 AM »
Does anyone have any insight as to what is happening to the academies? I assume we can't just merge Wasps and Worcester. And if we are in the Championship and not a Premiership team, how is the Academy affected?

To me, supporting Wasps is about watching Academy players turn into Internationals.

If Wasps were playing in Timbuktu but still had a Willis or a Launchbury playing I would support them.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2023, 09:40:05 AM »
From The Ruck - nothing new -

BREAKING: Wasps will play at Premiership stadium next season
9 February 2023
Rugby Rucker

According to The Telegraph, Wasps are now in talks to share Sixways Stadium with Sixways Rugby, the newly rebranded Worcester Warriors.

This could bring professional rugby back to Sixways just a few months after the Warriors? liquidation. Wasps, who were relegated from the Premiership after their own liquidation last year, are now seeking to join the Championship and any move to Sixways would have to comply with the Rugby Football Union?s conditions.

On a tumultuous day for the former Premiership clubs, it was also announced that Worcester Warriors will no longer exist, with Sixways Rugby taking their place in National League 2 West after rebranding semi-professional club Stourbridge.

The Rugby Football Union had given Worcester Warriors a deadline of February 14th to meet the requirements for playing in the second tier, but Jim O?Toole, part of the Atlas takeover with James Sandford, announced that discussions on the matter have ended.

?There were a number of key clauses in the contract that we couldn?t sign,? said O?Toole.

He told BBC Hereford & Worcester: ?This decision will clearly upset and annoy a number of people.

?The sad fact of life is that the Worcester Warriors brand and the Worcester Warriors business is gone.

?The name sadly will disappear. We are rebranding as Sixways Rugby.?

The new club will instead partner with fourth-tier side Stourbridge, who ex-Warriors chief executive O?Toole says will play at Sixways for the rest of the season.

Next season, under the new name of ?Sixways Rugby?, they will compete in the National League 2 West.
Two more Premiership clubs in trouble as league?s debt topples ?500m
#13. Exeter Chiefs ? ?13m
#12. Gloucester ? ?27m
#11. Northampton Saints ?26.5m
#10. Worcester Warriors ? ?26.5m
#9. Sale Sharks ? ?30.9m
#8. Leicester Tigers ? ?31m
#7. Harlequins ? ?33.7m
#6. London Irish ? ?37.5m
#5. Bath ? ?37.3m
#4. Newcastle Falcons ? ?39m
#3. Saracens ? ?40.8m
#3. Bristol Bears ? ?51.2m
#1. Wasps ? ?112.3m

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2023, 09:41:13 AM »
As I understand it not having a P Share does not proclude you from the Premiership but it does exclude you from TV etc funding.
Doesn?t the whole P share thing fall away once the term of the CVC investment ends?

If it doesn?t then the Prem won?t (shouldn?t) have the right to negotiate deals on behalf of any team that doesn?t get their share of television rights for the games they appear in.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2023, 09:43:26 AM »
Does anyone have any insight as to what is happening to the academies? I assume we can't just merge Wasps and Worcester. And if we are in the Championship and not a Premiership team, how is the Academy affected?

To me, supporting Wasps is about watching Academy players turn into Internationals.

If Wasps were playing in Timbuktu but still had a Willis or a Launchbury playing I would support them.

I understood that the Academy was still running - something that Chris Holland guaranteed (may be wrong on this). I do know that "Skulls Wasps" twitter etc has been following the current series of matches and I think he put up a team list for this weekend.

Wouldn't put it past the EAs, Cheetahs or Donkeys to voluntee to take on the area though.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2023, 09:44:58 AM »
Next season, under the new name of ?Sixways Rugby?, they will compete in the National League 2 West.
Two more Premiership clubs in trouble as league?s debt topples ?500m
#13. Exeter Chiefs ? ?13m
#12. Gloucester ? ?27m
#11. Northampton Saints ?26.5m
#10. Worcester Warriors ? ?26.5m
#9. Sale Sharks ? ?30.9m
#8. Leicester Tigers ? ?31m
#7. Harlequins ? ?33.7m
#6. London Irish ? ?37.5m
#5. Bath ? ?37.3m
#4. Newcastle Falcons ? ?39m
#3. Saracens ? ?40.8m
#3. Bristol Bears ? ?51.2m
#1. Wasps ? ?112.3m
That?s a bit off, the Wasps that owes that money no longer exists. The new Wasps owes rugby creditors as part of the deal to continue playing at Championship level, but it?s nowhere near that much.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2023, 09:45:21 AM »

I understood that the Academy was still running - something that Chris Holland guaranteed (may be wrong on this). I do know that "Skulls Wasps" twitter etc has been following the current series of matches and I think he put up a team list for this weekend.

Wouldn't put it past the EAs, Cheetahs or Donkeys to voluntee to take on the area though.

The RFU are running them directly, for both Wasps and Worcester (at the moment, unsure how that will pan out for Worcs in light of the current news). Playing games as "Midlands Academy North" and "Midlands Academy West", or something of that nature.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2023, 09:45:57 AM »
Doesn?t the whole P share thing fall away once the term of the CVC investment ends?

If it doesn?t then the Prem won?t (shouldn?t) have the right to negotiate deals on behalf of any team that doesn?t get their share of television rights for the games they appear in.

P Share was there before CVC. Exeter had to buy one off of Yorkshire Carnegie I think. CVC involvement just means the Premiership get 27% less of the TV money. I must admit I do not see CVC earning their over a quarter share by expanding the game!!

Sussex Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2023, 09:56:05 AM »
I feel so desperatley sorry for the Wuss fans. Imagine how we would feel. Have had some great times at Sixways and they are top people down there. This is just horrible for them. Knowing them though, they will not make life hard for Wasps.
I'm with AndyWasp - just pleased we will survive. For now. But we can't long term until we own our own stadium, hopefully this is a staging post for a long term solution nearer Wasps London roots.
For me looking forward to the Ealing / Scots / Richmond games, and "away" to Sixways now and again. Can recommend the Redesdale Hotel and Raj mahal curry house in Moreton in Marsh just up the railway line for a great evening stay / meal post match

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2023, 10:14:27 AM »
Academies are Midlands West (Worcester) and Midlands Central (Wasps). They are run by the RFU. I believe that the ex Wasps academy coaching staff includes Ashley Johnson and they train at Henley in Arden.