Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps to Sixways - Telegraph  (Read 18586 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps to Sixways - Telegraph
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 12:01:05 PM »
Wasps are on the verge of finalising a deal to play at Sixways, the former ground of Worcester Warriors, Telegraph Sport understands.

The arrangement would see professional rugby return to Sixways just months after the Warriors were liquidated, with Wasps expected to abandon plans to move to Solihull.

Wasps were relegated from the Premiership following their own liquidation last year. They are now in the process of applying to join the Championship. Any application to play at Sixways would need to be ratified by the RFU.

And on a dramatic day for the stricken former Premiership clubs, it also was announced that Worcester Warriors will rebrand as Sixways Rugby and play in National League 2 West after taking over semi-professional side Stourbridge.

More to follow . . .

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 12:02:00 PM »
Behind paywall but will get whole article up soon - unless somebody else does.

Strikes me somebody is feed the Telegraph  - yesterday Logan saying things moving and now this

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 12:13:42 PM »
Not sure what to think of this. It does not sit at all well with me. With Warriors officially giving up on the Championship (and, by RFU rules actually ceasing to exist), frees the RFU to accept Wasps playing in that location.

London and South East fans wanting to come by train would find getting there a nightmare. Coaches/Buses or car share from Warwick Parkway I guess.

Really easy for me to get to though by motorbike, and Warriors always had free parking for bikes (I have been there a few times).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:23:02 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

MarleyWasp

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 12:20:34 PM »
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Frugby-union%2F2023%2F02%2F09%2Fwasps-play-sixways-worcester-warriors-merge-stourbridge-rfc%2F

Personally, I don't feel comfortable with supporting Wasps at Sixways given how Warriors have been screwed over by their intended saviours.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 12:23:27 PM »
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Frugby-union%2F2023%2F02%2F09%2Fwasps-play-sixways-worcester-warriors-merge-stourbridge-rfc%2F

Personally, I don't feel comfortable with supporting Wasps at Sixways given how Warriors have been screwed over by their intended saviours.

+1

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 12:27:26 PM »
Not comfortable with this at all.
Feels like we're taking advantage of Worcester's demise at best. At worst this is a full on stitch up by the RFU, PRL and Wasps to preserve the big brand club at the expense of Worcester. It stinks.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 12:30:13 PM »

I'm not comfortable with it either but I don't think we are in a position to be too choosy.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 12:30:59 PM »
Feels like we're taking advantage of Worcester's demise at best. At worst this is a full on stitch up by the RFU, PRL and Wasps to preserve the big brand club at the expense of Worcester. It stinks.
I agree but I bet I still end up going.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 12:38:47 PM »

I'm not comfortable with it either but I don't think we are in a position to be too choosy.

I agree with you Ross, I think any advantage we get from Worcester's situation certainly won't endear us to anyone and it will continue to make life difficult for Wasps. But, you're right, Wasps aren't in really in the position to be in the moral position to say "thanks, but no thanks" considering they are working towards getting into the Championship next season.

If we were to, likely unofficially, come out and say that we understand the sensitivity surrounding Wasps playing at Sixways, we are there because we wanted to play Championship rugby and we want to find a suitable permanent solution for ourselves that's away from Sixways, I feel that's a better way of trying to deal with it. I know this is very simplistic but the sentiment is the point I'm trying to put across.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 12:39:05 PM »

Actually the RFU rejected Atlas as owners because they had concerns over their plans, with property and use of the site being more important to them than Rugby. Given what's been announced today, I can entirely see why they reached that conclusion.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 12:39:22 PM »
Quite frankly this is just bizarre. For a start there is already opposition to this from external bodies. If it all falls through and with a deadline of the 14th we are scuppered. That?s before you get into the moral dilemma of cuckooing into Sixways. Not sure this will work.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 12:49:50 PM »
'Cuckooing' is the right word.  Repeat of the Ricoh.  Altho' it is almost within spitting distance of our home and also our daughter's home none of us would be comfortable going to Wuss under these circumstances. 

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 12:55:19 PM »
More from the DT:

Wasps are on the brink of finalising a deal to play at Sixways, the former ground of Worcester Warriors, Telegraph Sport understands.

The arrangement would see professional rugby return to Sixways just months after the Warriors were liquidated, with Wasps expected to abandon plans to move to Solihull.

Wasps were relegated from the Premiership following their own liquidation last year. They are now in the process of applying to join the Championship and any move to Sixways would have to meet the Rugby Football Union?s conditions.

And on a dramatic day for the stricken former Premiership clubs, it also was announced that Worcester Warriors would cease to exist, with Sixways Rugby entering National League 2 West after rebranding semi-professional side Stourbridge.

Atlas Worcester Warriors Rugby Club Limited confirmed on Thursday that they had pulled out of the application process to compete in the Championship next season as Worcester Warriors, with director Jim O?Toole stating they ?cannot agree to the RFU?s conditions and commercial restrictions?.

?We will invest in [Stourbridge?s] semi-professional first team and they will play at Sixways,? said O?Toole. ?We will invest significantly to get them through the leagues. The plan will be to reach the Championship by 2026.

?We hope to be able to call upon former players to come in and help us move through the divisions. Some of the older guys who can still mix it in that league, as well as the players who were breaking through from the academy.?

Stourbridge are currently placed bottom in National League 2 West and could, therefore, be relegated into Midlands 1 next season, the fifth tier of English rugby. Should relegation occur, for the club to fulfil O?Toole?s desire of reaching the Championship by 2026, they would have to achieve three back-to-back promotions.

Telegraph Sport has approached the RFU for comment.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 01:04:25 PM »
Why not just rename to Wasps Warriors and be done with it. Where next? Carlisle?

Last time I travelled from London to Worcester by train it was a chore I have avoided since.

To be honest, I'd rather Wasps commit to the Coventry area, or relocate back to London and play in National League 2 than do this.