Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps to Sixways - Telegraph  (Read 18630 times)

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps to Sixways - Telegraph
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2023, 06:19:25 PM »
I'm in south Birmingham. From a purely selfish perspective it's less than 30 minutes to Sixways for me.

Doubt we'll be welcome though. IF we do play at Sixways next season, even though it will only be on a rental basis, I can still imagine the crap coming our way.

I know this won't be popular, but it makes me wonder whether a Worcester Wasps merged team might in the end have proven the lesser of two evils.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2023, 06:20:34 PM »
If  (IF)  we do move to Wuss I think our family and maybe several others in this neck of the woods will be some of the few supporters who would benefit journey-wise.  From almost 3 hours to AP and then 2 and a quarter to Coventry we would have well under 1 hour to travel, and for this reason I can't quite believe it would ever happen.  But it would be selfishly nice. 

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2023, 07:17:55 PM »
Likewise travel to Sixways (from mid Wales) would cut my travel time by about a hour each way. Parking on the trading estate near Sixways also convenient.
Still don't know if I am entirely comfortable with using Sixways - really feel for Warriors supporters.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2023, 07:21:44 PM »
I'm in south Birmingham. From a purely selfish perspective it's less than 30 minutes to Sixways for me.

Doubt we'll be welcome though. IF we do play at Sixways next season, even though it will only be on a rental basis, I can still imagine the crap coming our way.

I know this won't be popular, but it makes me wonder whether a Worcester Wasps merged team might in the end have proven the lesser of two evils.
I?ve got to be honest I don?t really give a rats ass what supporters from any other club thinks.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2023, 08:30:57 PM »
Agree, FishingWasp. My family would park  by the Beefeater when picking up family members heading to Cov. 

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2023, 09:36:38 AM »
I'm beginning to think we need a sugar daddy league where they can do what they like with wage caps etc and which they can ring fence if they want, but no bail outs or other money from the RFU, and then for what is now the Championship to become the top of a meritocratic pyramid.

This.

8 franchised teams managed in the same way as the Premier 15s. Completely ringfenced and guaranteed financially by sugar daddies.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2023, 09:45:03 AM »
All professional sport is financed by sugar daddies

Even football with all the millions / billions spent each year is only possible due to mega rich owners.

It really is a shame, but professional rugby has always been and will always be a loss making business.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2023, 09:46:09 AM »
I'm beginning to think we need a sugar daddy league where they can do what they like with wage caps etc and which they can ring fence if they want, but no bail outs or other money from the RFU, and then for what is now the Championship to become the top of a meritocratic pyramid.

This.

8 franchised teams managed in the same way as the Premier 15s. Completely ringfenced and guaranteed financially by sugar daddies.

Agreed. I do wonder if I even want Wasps to be in that at all. I mean, in the long term, for individual clubs, it isn't sustainable. The sugar daddy would have some form of attachment to the club, and when they depart, everything falls apart.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2023, 10:57:32 AM »
Agreed. I do wonder if I even want Wasps to be in that at all. I mean, in the long term, for individual clubs, it isn't sustainable. The sugar daddy would have some form of attachment to the club, and when they depart, everything falls apart.

I can see it now. The EA's rising to the top of a cesspit of corruption.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2023, 11:13:26 AM »
Not too sure if they didn't do that years ago.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2023, 12:14:06 PM »
It really is a shame, but professional rugby has always been and will always be a loss making business.

With the RFU at the top, and club appointments made on the basis of the old boys club I fear you're right.

Lots of new blood, new ideas, and a little courage could sort it pretty quickly. But it'll never happen.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2023, 04:02:59 PM »
From the WW Board it sounds as if Stourbridge have poured cold water on the proposals. In effect sent the new guys away to return with firm thought out proposals.
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2023, 05:41:31 PM »

I started supporting Wasps about 20 years ago.
Living in East London/Essex at the time, I supported them despite them being in high Wycombe, not because of it.

I then moved to Norwich, to buy continued as a season ticket holder at Adams park.
When the move to Coventry happened, I followed. Again, not because of the Ricoh, but despite it.

The stadium and the location has been irrelevant to me throughout the time I've followed the club.

I've also never met any of the owners, except Derek.
As such, I don't see the club owner as my reason for supporting them.

I've seen us win things, and I've seen us lose lots of games and play terribly, but my support for them had never wavered.

Players come and go, coaches come and go.
I don't know what it is that I'm attached to, and I have no idea if any new Wasps club would feel the same.
It will be a case of waiting and seeing if it feels like Wasps

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2023, 06:30:45 PM »
+1

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2023, 06:39:37 PM »