Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Road back to the Prem  (Read 2091 times)

Chins

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Road back to the Prem
« on: February 16, 2023, 10:13:07 PM »
Ok, so time to dream but at the same time there are some interesting points that need covering off.

I am assuming that our new owner haven't raised lets say 5m to pay off previous debt and then show we have a solid plan moving forward for shits and giggles. However it appeared to be stated before that depending on our ability to get promotion that may affect who our backers are and how deep their pockets are. 

So I am assuming we should be one of the best funded teams in the Championship next season.  If maybe FUD, but talk of Ealing joining the Welsh as they cant get promoted even if they win the championship. So what would make us different ? If we play at Solihul and by some miracle win the Championship surely the ground will stop us being promoted ? That being the case wouldn't Sixways be a better option now ? Or do the owners have a master plan ? How long before the Prem is ring fenced and we will never be able to get promoted ?

Thoughts

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Road back to the Prem
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 10:39:22 PM »
There?s a huge difference between being funded to pay off rugby debts because some of that money may be one off goodwill contributions and building an organisation that buys promotion.

I don?t want us buying promotion, that way needs unsustainable costs or a sugar daddy.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 10:56:57 PM »
It doesn't make us different, no, so I'd imagine we've been doing our homework.

I think it will come down to what is realistic.

A ground share with someone like the Moors will allow us to get up and running relatively quickly. This gives us time both on and off the pitch to get things right for the longer term - I don't imagine us getting promotion at the first time of asking.

Going for another stadium like Sixways or the CBSA is too much of a risk - seeing as taking on a stadium proved to be our demise.

Chins

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 11:05:12 PM »
There?s a huge difference between being funded to pay off rugby debts because some of that money may be one off goodwill contributions and building an organisation that buys promotion.

I don?t want us buying promotion, that way needs unsustainable costs or a sugar daddy.

Well i cant see our new owners wanting to see as us a long term championship club. So a lot boils down to that point. If they want to get into the Prem then there could be a big risk of it being ring fenced and off limits forever. Therefore making it happen now maybe the only way. Today there are no championship clubs that appear to be eligble for promotion, so it wouldnt be us trying to jump the line. Look at the money Bristol spent to get back in and Sarries. If you want it you need to spend big and even bigger in subsequent years.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 08:15:33 AM »
Just assembling a squad capable of competing and consolidating in the Championship has to be the first priority. There are some really good well-established teams in the Championship and talk of promotion is a bit premature for a club that only exists on paper at the moment.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 08:18:36 AM »
Two things. For us once we see who we are signing we?ll know if it?s plan A (well funded with institutional investor) or plan B (semi pro and looking to stick around in the Champ until Plan A can be sorted. Sixways gets us seamlessly back should we achieve it.
Secondly, I don?t think the wider rugby landscape will look like it does now. At least two prem clubs are clearly on the brink and precedent?s are well set for if they go bust. Not only would ring fencing not happen they?d be lobbying people to join. By existing thanks to the Legends we?re in the mix. It?s a messy mix that could turn out to be anything but we?re part of it.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 08:45:39 AM »
I am sure that our new owners will have been in discussion with the RFU and PRL with regard to all the possibilities regarding the future shape of professional rugby in England and what a return to the premiership would take. There is plenty of uncertainty around rugby right now and I'm sure any potential investors would want to know what they will be getting into.

I expect that there will be a plan A, B and C for everything from where we play to staffing depending on the level of investment they can secure.

Personally I hope that we play at Solihull next year, it's not particularly far from the CBS so travel times for most people will be around the same as before and it has good public transport links being between the Chiltern line and the west coast main line.

I'm sure discussions have already begun with possible stadiums we could play at should gain a return to the premiership within the next few seasons.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 09:29:01 AM »
For the vast majority of the RFU requirements including playing surface I suspect the new owners have that sorted and buttoned down fairly tight. They would not get RFU approval without proving all is in place. In due course we may find out some detail of it.

Plans A onwards may reflect whether we are fully pro or semi-pro. There is, unless I am wrong, only one fully pro team and that is Ealing. That decision will reflect the desire and planning of the owners/investors.

Coach and initial intake of players I would be very surprised if this is not at least part way to being fixed especially now the RFU have given the nod. All the coach and playing staff need to know at  this stage is are you really viable and where will we train. On the first point the RFU has said yes and on the second we have a better facility than any other team. Pay me and train me, making a happy squad.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 09:32:33 AM »
This is a complete rebuild job which will take time. Thankfully this is not a phoenix as the club was purchased.

Yet challenges remain.

Professional rugby is currently non sustainable as it is. You only have to look at Wales and our own prem to see this. We need to start slowly. We have no stadium of our own again, and thus tenancy will have a marked impact on income.

Anyone hoping for a quick return to the Prem and then being competitive are likely to be very disappointed.

Personally I would be very pleased if we are in the prem and pushing to get into Europe in 10 years. I would advocate a semi pro approach until we are sustainable. Working hard on infastructure and building a resiliant business plan so we not only survive but survive well.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 11:10:27 AM »

Well i cant see our new owners wanting to see as us a long term championship club. So a lot boils down to that point. If they want to get into the Prem then there could be a big risk of it being ring fenced and off limits forever. Therefore making it happen now maybe the only way. Today there are no championship clubs that appear to be eligble for promotion, so it wouldnt be us trying to jump the line. Look at the money Bristol spent to get back in and Sarries. If you want it you need to spend big and even bigger in subsequent years.
And look at the money Ealing have thrown at the problem and still not succeeded.

Whatever the long term plan is, and that could well be top tier European rugby, the short term goal has to be putting a side together than can stay in the Championship next season and rebuilding a fan base around wherever we end up playing. A lot of people will have broken the habit of watching Wasps and they need attracting back, plus new fans found.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2023, 11:34:58 AM »
From the article about Tigers need for funding on the Tigers thread, this shows the difficulties that our new owners are facing:

However they did start in a strong position anyway ? furthermore, in any case, anyone willing to invest ?13m in a rugby club is to be applauded, especially in the current market. The club are lucky that this option is available, to be utilised.

The reality is that this motion does need to be approved because the statement advising the Administrators could be appointed, presents the very real danger the club finds itself in. It may be the biggest club in England, however that does not make itself immune from the very real demands of business

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023, 12:24:36 PM »
Whatever the long term plan is, and that could well be top tier European rugby, the short term goal has to be putting a side together than can stay in the Championship next season and rebuilding a fan base around wherever we end up playing. A lot of people will have broken the habit of watching Wasps and they need attracting back, plus new fans found.

totally agree. Get a Wasps side on the filed & get supporters paying to to watch, buying shirts, pints & pies etc! Then things can progress form there.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 03:16:29 PM »
Noting some twatter traffic saying the Prem Cup next year will include the Championship teams. Interesting if true.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 04:40:47 PM »
?Thereby making a mockery of a 10-team Premiership?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2023, 04:57:19 PM »
?Thereby making a mockery of a 10-team Premiership?

Doh. That hadn't occurred to them😬
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!