Always a Wasp

Author Topic: From the WW Forum - Wasps info  (Read 6319 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: From the WW Forum - Wasps info
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2023, 07:05:39 PM »
The new owners of Sixways do seem to be full of shite.
Just like the last owners.

The issue appears to be that the document cannot be signed, because Atlas are not yet the legal owners of the ground, because they have not completed and paid Begbies.
They probably don't want to pay for the stadium until they've got everything lined up and I did wonder if they're trying to bounce Wasps in to making a decision. Not a clever move if that's the case.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2023, 07:15:38 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks our new owners aren't being entirely open, transparent and honest about this process?

It's easy to blame Atlas after their recent behaviour, but we have literally no idea what is going on at Wasps. I am not willing to give them my complete unwavering trust just because they bought a brand.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

MarleyWasp

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2023, 07:22:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/WaspsKitMan/status/1626975204038569985?s=19

Looks like Pudsey was inspecting the facilities at Solihull Moors FC this afternoon...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2023, 07:29:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/WaspsKitMan/status/1626975204038569985?s=19

Looks like Pudsey was inspecting the facilities at Solihull Moors FC this afternoon...

Good way to stir things further!
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2023, 07:52:10 PM »
If Wasps ARE to build a new stadium, and within that 3 year deadline, they, in effect, have a couple of weeks over 3 and a half years to get it completed. It took Edinburgh 1 year and 15 weeks from start of building work to completion at Murrayfield. So, from now Wasps have two and a quarter years to:

Locate and acquire a site
Get all the planning permissions
Get contractor quotes and sign contracts
Get work started

That is a very tight schedule. Unless it is a site that is already designated for outdoors sports with parking and facilities (unlikely), that means a new site. The only way that can happen in such a short time scale is if such a site is already on an agreed local plan, or some local plans are already proposed and agreed by the local council. So, some weeks ago I looked up and down the Oxford corridor (essentially, the Chiltern railway line Oxford - Banbury - Leamington, and the M40 J8-15) to find any such plans. One mooted near Kidlington, but nothing on paper/submitted.

The other is Warwick:

https://www.warwickdc.gov.uk/downloads/file/5228/community_stadium_project_site_master_plan

Looking at the plans, some sleight of hand is taking place here by WDC. Erecting a 5000 capacity (one stand, rest is terraces) ground, with limited parking (but maybe they could do a deal with National Grid, who have a massive car park there), and behind it an athletics track. I suspect to replace the ageing track at Edmondscote (where I used to do athletics when I was a youngster at school), which I assume they would then build housing on, to part pay for the new track project.

Of those plans, some of it (if you view the map) 5, 6, 7 and 8 is either now built or underway. I did check for planning applications, and those parts have approved planning applications. That allowed me to see that none of the other parts have had planning applications. There is also a new SEN school there, to link with what I know now as Evergreen School (that site was Round Oak School, which was built on the site of a school I started my teaching at, years ago now. That new school will allow the council to close their other SEN school in the North of Warwick, where I guess more houses will appear. It's all about the money.

There is a lot of land still unused there though, so a bigger stadium could be built, to meet the 10k RFU Premiership rules.

Even so, joining in to that construction and making changes would likely still take a year, even then. Tight for timing, but possible. I know that 'Brakes' are desperate to get out of their Harbury Lane football stadium site. I am not sure who owns it, but I can see planning applications for houses there, and maybe a (much needed for safety as it is a massive accident blackspot) roundabout on the Fosse Way/Harbury Lane corner of that site.

I know logic has not a lot to do with things, but wherever Wasps land next year to play, they can't stay long.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2023, 08:08:49 PM »
Judging by the rushed tweet response from Wasps it would seem that they weren't expecting Atlas to announce the "agreement in principle" today. If I was Chris Holland et al I would be pretty pissed off, I would be wanting a public apology from Atlas and I would be seriously considering whether or not these were the sort of people who "we" should be doing business with.

I also imagine that if we have an agreement in principle to play at sixways I imagine we would have an equal agreement in principle with Solihull and anywhere else we have been negotiating with.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2023, 08:23:48 PM »
Aren't CCFC building a stadium in Warwick?!

Does Warwick have any top level sports teams? Cricket I suppose. The council might be happy to invite a half decent sports teams to their area of it comes with stadium investment. Edgbaston is in Birmingham after all..

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2023, 08:32:35 PM »
Aren't CCFC building a stadium in Warwick?!

Does Warwick have any top level sports teams? Cricket I suppose. The council might be happy to invite a half decent sports teams to their area of it comes with stadium investment. Edgbaston is in Birmingham after all..

There was talk of them doing a deal with Warwick University. Which, perversely, is not in Warwick. Its campus traverses the boundary between West Midlands (Coventry) and the fields of Warwickshire.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2023, 08:42:49 PM »
I would tend to agree it should be in the area NWW describes. However was there not talk of the Oxford Stadium being surplus to require.ents  in the near future or surplus to the owners requirements ( shit area I know but it has had first class rugby on it ).

The other thing to sticks in my mind is the RFU requirement to say in the area for 2+ 1 years and Phil Vickery's comment about nearer the original home area. God knows how.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2023, 08:50:06 PM »
I would tend to agree it should be in the area NWW describes. However was there not talk of the Oxford Stadium being surplus to require.ents  in the near future or surplus to the owners requirements ( shit area I know but it has had first class rugby on it ).

The other thing to sticks in my mind is the RFU requirement to say in the area for 2+ 1 years and Phil Vickery's comment about nearer the original home area. God knows how.

Yes, there was talk of that, so I dug a bit deeper. Oxford were the ones who wanted to move to the site (actually, they just want to move) in Kidlington. Problem is, they keep getting turned down. As I said, the issue Wasps face is time. Oxford may well move, in 5-10 years, somewhere.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2023, 10:27:00 PM »
Presumably the Legends (being a canny lot)  are taking a belt and braces approach,  ie everyt5hing agreed to be tied with double knots and then padlocked.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2023, 12:00:21 AM »
Criticism of Wasps for their silence (until prompted into saying something by Atlas) is wide of the mark. My reading of it is that Wasps have acted 100% professionally by saying nothing until they have something definite to say, which so far they don't. I am absolutely fine with this, and my impatience to know what the future holds is simply irrelevant.
In contrast,  Atlas have clearly jumped the gun this afternoon by announcing agreement in principle before any de facto agreement is actually reached. I would be surprised if they are not in breach of an NDA too.
As mentioned above, if Wasps are still in a position where they have more than one option on the table then Atlas may just have talked themselves out of a potentially lucrative tenant.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2023, 02:11:40 AM »
As mentioned above, if Wasps are still in a position where they have more than one option on the table then Atlas may just have talked themselves out of a potentially lucrative tenant.

100% especially saying this at an event where you know people will try and take the opportunity to leak news.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2023, 08:05:13 AM »
Thinking about it a bit more and giving Atlas the benefit of doubt (I know), perhaps if the wording on that slide at been softened and a bit more of the subjunctive mood it would have been more accurate and a better sell. Along the lines of:

This is our short term vision:

- The club is to be called Worcester Warriors to maintain the historic links
- The team will be Stourbridge (at whatever level they finish the season) renamed as Worcester Warriors with new coaches and players
- If Stourbridge members reject the plan, WW will start at the bottom of the pyramid
- We have had discussions with Wasps for them to play at Sixways for a 3 year period
- We understand Wasps have a plan to have their own stadium and want to have moved in to it by the time WW reach the Championship
- We want to work with Wasps to support a Foundation that provides players to play for WW

Nobody's is bounced and it softens the blow for Stourbridge members a little. It is probably a bit nearer the truth at this stage as my guess is Atlas won't complete the deal until the stars have aligned themselves in Atlas's preferred constellation.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2023, 09:54:29 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks our new owners aren't being entirely open, transparent and honest about this process?

It's easy to blame Atlas after their recent behaviour, but we have literally no idea what is going on at Wasps. I am not willing to give them my complete unwavering trust just because they bought a brand.
They have said as much as Derek has.