Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT : Farrell past his use by date?  (Read 1982 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: OT : Farrell past his use by date?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 12:21:43 PM »
I'm rather torn on England. I do wonder if the best thing in the short/medium term is for France to turn up, play with that intensity for more of the game and show supporters and players and coaches just how much work/change is needed or if I'd hope we can look to gradually improve towards a too close for comfort RWC....

Saturday vs Wales was a bit of an improvement - but Wales were awful. And yet managed to take the lead....even if it was off our mistake. It seems that (and I'll reference Squidge on this and his vid on George Ford) that we still too often keep doing the same thing in possession and this is Farrell's tendency when playing and controlling from 10. We really only looked to play what was in front of us for Watson's try.

The data (from England Rugby) suggested that we were as poor as Wales at making breaks or beating defenders. I realise there's more than one way to win a game - but the lack of confidence to play heads up much, if at all, suggests a team looking not to lose.

I do think Ford was at training for a reason. He fits Evans' style more and was Tigers' FH with Borthwick. But I do think it might take the shock of getting murdered before England take a chance. We are really looking towards 6N's 2024 as the start of the new. But do we really have much to lose by looking to play more/at all now? Our form and play in the RWC will be reliant upon the rep RWC training camp more than anything. So if we're going to play in the RWC with more go forwards, why not practice vs two top teams, now? In the RWC, our relatively weak pool will allow some more try outs - assuming we don't foul up. But we need to be able to score vs good teams if we're going to impact the knock out stage.

TBH, if France play with intensity for one half - we'll be in lots of trouble. And Dublin might be a very long afternoon too. As Ireland are able to play with intensity and are v comfortable in their game plan.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: OT : Farrell past his use by date?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 12:44:20 PM »
England have always played conservatively with a few sparkling players thrown in to get us off our seats occasionally and Borthwick is from the mold, so it should come as no surprise that he wants Farrell an 10. This wouldn't be a problem if Farrell was playing at his past best, but he isn't for England and hasn't for some time*. If he's going to be in the team then the game plan has to revolve around him and he has to buck up.

This wouldn't be a problem if they were winning ugly against the tope teams in the way they did against Wales and rebuilding fortress Twickenham, but they aren't and don't look capable of hitting the heights of the WC winning team, or getting anywhere near them.

I think they should forget  this years' WC and start building for the next one because with the best will in the world this team aren't much better than quarter finalists and if they hadn't such such a relatively easy looking pool, at least on paper,  I'd be worried about getting through it. On reflection, perhaps we will struggle.

*I stopped watching EAs long before the cheating was revealed so I'll take at face value what others have said about him playing well at club level.