Always a Wasp

Author Topic: NWC - interesting Exeter Summary  (Read 1691 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: NWC - interesting Exeter Summary
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 07:57:11 AM »
I think the fan in the article is right, Exeter used to be great at getting the best out of players who were deemed surplus to requirements elsewhere. They also benefitted from having the core of their squad flying under England's radar for a number of seasons as well.

Love or loathe Exeter, they have been successful in their relatively short time in the Premiership and have become a victim of sorts of that success. A number of those players leaving are members of that core squad that have become international regulars. With wage demands and the salary cap, it's not feasible to keep them all.

Any opportunity I can take to have a stab at Saracens I will, as the article is underplaying Saracen's strength. If being able to put out a largely international backline, plus a couple of internationals in the pack, against Sale last weekend and it still could be considered an under-strength side, that would suggest Saracen's do not have stars "dotted" through their squad.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 08:34:34 AM »
I agree with James, that comment about Sarries is bizarre given the squad of internationals they have.

As to Chiefs just getting there salary bill down to the new cap, that doesn't feel right given the number of stars that are leaving. Its a tough call but they can't be reducing salaries that much and should still be able to afford a few of those stars even under the new cap.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 08:43:47 AM »
I agree with James, that comment about Sarries is bizarre given the squad of internationals they have.

As to Chiefs just getting there salary bill down to the new cap, that doesn't feel right given the number of stars that are leaving. Its a tough call but they can't be reducing salaries that much and should still be able to afford a few of those stars even under the new cap.

It was ever thus with the EAs. All press seem to have a terminal blockage about asking the simple questions so they continue on their merry way untouched.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 10:43:41 AM »
I think there has to be more to than just the Salary Cap biting. For a club to lose that many players in one go, there must be underlying issues.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 10:55:15 AM »
I think there has to be more to than just the Salary Cap biting. For a club to lose that many players in one go, there must be underlying issues.

Apart from us and WW we don't really know the extent of Government borrowing that went on at all clubs. We do know that Exeter had to "sell" a high proportion of their hotel share to meet some of the tax requirements. Basically a greater loan to themselves by their ageing owner!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 02:38:27 PM »
Makes you wonder whether the author of this storyline has even the faintest inkling of EAs past cheating.  I don't have anything much against the Execeter players but (with a few exceptions) I don't like their supporters.  Have the EA bought up all of Brentford yet?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 06:44:25 PM »
Exeter have not developed a plan B to replace the flop over the line from 5 metres since the rule changes. As far as I can see that makes them boring, unsuccessful and broke.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 09:53:46 AM »
Exeter have not developed a plan B to replace the flop over the line from 5 metres since the rule changes. As far as I can see that makes them boring, unsuccessful and broke.

They were always the side most likely to struggle with the change to the pre-binding / latching law. It was almost as though someone looked at their style and decided it was boring, and made the change...

They have definitely struggled on the pitch since, but I'm not sure you can draw a direct correlation with off-pitch troubles.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 09:57:07 AM »
Exodus Chiefs. 😁

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 10:19:15 AM »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 10:35:58 AM »
and another here.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 10:38:16 AM »
Chapeau!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 12:47:16 PM »
I can't take the credit for that one, much as I'd love to. It's the headline in the article.

I can see that moniker sticking!