Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England today  (Read 9719 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: England today
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2023, 12:28:09 PM »
And England Rugby couldn't even get their skipper's club correct.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2023, 12:44:09 PM »

And transferred Jack Walker to Toulouse.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2023, 12:59:56 PM »
Blue Murder says The Sunday Times. Apt. The beast that is top tier English Rugby has been dying for some times. It was put to the sword (or guillotine) yesterday. I actually enjoyed the game. Tibo was magnificent, should have had MotM, but the 'pundits' bottled that one and gave it to the highest scorer (I know it is a skill to kick penalties and conversions, but it doesn't take a rugby brain or stamina).

The backs couldn't perform because most possession they got was on the back foot. Our forwards were outplayed in every aspect of the game. Very few of them would have been in my team. Same goes for the backs. JvP is soooo slow.

But, we don't have the skilled players in the rest of the Premiership. We don't have much better coming through. You all know, I have been massively critical of the entire structure of the game, as the county youth programs and academy programs run by clubs are mostly controlled by the problem. The old boys network. The heavy reliance on private schools. No significant development program in to main stream schools, and no significant funding at grass roots. All that money spent on Twickenham and First Class/5 star expenses paid jollies around the world. Money talks they say. Well, the sugar daddy money is, and it is strangling our game. Money corrupts, and that corruption is spreading, year after year, crumbling the game from within, like wood rotten with termite damage.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2023, 01:13:52 PM »

And transferred Jack Walker to Toulouse.

Presumably some convoluted logic that as he has the same initials as Jack Willis then he plays for the same club🙄
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2023, 05:21:44 PM »
Having seen Ireland win vs a more than decent Scotland....I'm rather concerned about England going to Dublin.....

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2023, 06:52:40 PM »
Having seen Ireland win vs a more than decent Scotland....I'm rather concerned about England going to Dublin.....

Ireland appear to have a significant injury list to contend with. England might just get lucky.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2023, 07:08:26 PM »
I doubt it. England have their own selection worries ? namely a dearth of talent.

Thanks to Jones, we?re left with a bunch of past-it codgers and uncooked novices.

It is a similar challenge to the one that Wales are facing, with Pivac have done a Jones during his time in charge. They also have an RFU that consistently challenges our own RFU in terms of world class incompetence. However, Wales probably have a better chance of turning it around as (i) the WRFU CEO has already walked and (ii) they have Gatland.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2023, 09:44:12 PM »
I doubt it. England have their own selection worries ? namely a dearth of talent.

Thanks to Jones, we?re left with a bunch of past-it codgers and uncooked novices.

It is a similar challenge to the one that Wales are facing, with Pivac have done a Jones during his time in charge. They also have an RFU that consistently challenges our own RFU in terms of world class incompetence. However, Wales probably have a better chance of turning it around as (i) the WRFU CEO has already walked and (ii) they have Gatland.
Honestly think Gatland's last Lions tour was crap. And all on him. If Warren was anywhere near England I would not be happy.
I am sure he would turn it round in time, but the end product would suffer from extreme conservatism that dogged the tail end of his first Welsh tenure, but was forgiven in Wales because his team was experienced and streetwise so tended to win the inevitable arm wrestle his tactics produced. It was never really enough to compete with anyone outside the NH.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2023, 11:33:36 AM »
If the Lions were being selected today, does anyone think any of the 23 that represented England on Saturday would get a nod? That's a damning indictment.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2023, 11:42:52 AM »
If the Lions were being selected today, does anyone think any of the 23 that represented England on Saturday would get a nod? That's a damning indictment.

Would any non-Irish make the 23 at all?

England were dire on Saturday, as bad as I can ever remember seeing them in the 6N.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2023, 12:07:52 PM »

Would any non-Irish make the 23 at all?

England were dire on Saturday, as bad as I can ever remember seeing them in the 6N.

Chin up, chaps.

There were times in the 60's and 70's where England played like that against average opposition.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2023, 12:09:35 PM »
The entire Lions squad would be made up mostly from Ireland plus a fair proportion from Scotland. Hardly anyone from England or Wales would get a look in.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2023, 01:33:17 PM »
Headline in Grauniad that Lawrence out with hamstring, allows possibility of Manu returning....A fit and firing Manu, at 13, not 12, is not a difficult pick...however.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2023, 05:08:33 PM »
Headline in Grauniad that Lawrence out with hamstring, allows possibility of Manu returning....A fit and firing Manu, at 13, not 12, is not a difficult pick...however.....

Fit for 5 minutes at best. Made of glass these days, sadly.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2023, 06:03:08 PM »
Manu is certainly not the answer. In terms of Ire they had a flanker on line out duty and a prop hooking yesterday and got it done cosily in the end. Their injuries would need to be fourfold what they have for us to avoid a spanking.