Always a Wasp

Author Topic: World Rugby proposes belly tackles  (Read 1527 times)

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
World Rugby proposes belly tackles
« on: March 13, 2023, 09:33:48 AM »
World Rugby is considering introducing a belly tackle rule for the grassroots game. This would see a requirement for tackles to be made below the sternum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64931217

There as some pot flaws here. The first is that there will be a surge in no arm tackles, as realistically it is not possible to get both arms around the belly of a lot club level front rows

There is also the added complication of trying to locate the sternum on such players as well.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: World Rugby proposes belly tackles
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 10:41:27 AM »
World Rugby is considering introducing a belly tackle rule for the grassroots game. This would see a requirement for tackles to be made below the sternum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64931217

There as some pot flaws here. The first is that there will be a surge in no arm tackles, as realistically it is not possible to get both arms around the belly of a lot club level front rows

There is also the added complication of trying to locate the sternum on such players as well.

😂🤣😂🤣

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 11:31:34 AM »
They should address tackle techniques first, we already see far too many tackles with the head on the wrong side amongst well coached professionals, I can't see it being any better at lower levels. Getting even lower exposes the poor tackler to fast moving knees more often.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 11:44:08 AM »
They should address tackle techniques first, we already see far too many tackles with the head on the wrong side amongst well coached professionals, I can't see it being any better at lower levels. Getting even lower exposes the poor tackler to fast moving knees more often.

Case in point being the Ringrose incident on Sunday. Went low. Head in the wrong place. Bad news.

Hearing he was sitting up and moving about later on, which is a relief.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 12:19:20 PM »

Case in point being the Ringrose incident on Sunday. Went low. Head in the wrong place. Bad news.

Hearing he was sitting up and moving about later on, which is a relief.
Indeed. I was watching the game and glad to hear he's OK. It looked quite innocuous at first but when they showed the reply it was very bad and he looked to have been knocked out.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 12:33:35 PM »
"The clear mounting evidence is that doing nothing is simply not an option," World Rugby's chief executive Alan Gilpin said.

"Specifically in the community game, head-on-head contact is something we need to reduce".

Gilpin did not rule out making a permanent law change to the tackle height in the community game. He also refused to rule out a change of tackle height in the elite game in future.
I get quite frustrated by the lack of understanding from WR. It's the professional and maybe semi-pro game where there is a huge problem, and this is the shop window of rugby with influence, yet they do nothing about that.

At my very low level I'd say most people tackle high by trying to grab shoulders. Not that effective and very rarely dangerous. I don't ever recall seeing a dangerous head shot in my level 8 club's 1st team games either.

My other bugbear is it is all concentrated on the tackler height and never mentions the tackled player's contribution to the level of danger. This needs to be brought into the equation to be workable and effective and HAS to be applied to top level rugby.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 01:11:54 PM »
When I was being taught rugby 65 years ago, I was always told to tackle low and where to put my head. Any high tackles were likely punished by a hand straight to the mush. I think my most effective tackle ever was head on to a speeding full back. I couldn't make up my mind which side to put my head, so I ended up nutmegging him which made his eyes water😊
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 01:13:59 PM »
Specifically in the community game, head-on-head contact is something we need to reduce.

That just is not true. Firstly there very little head on head in the grassroots ruby I watch, and what little there is not from high tackles but dubious ruck clear outs.
Agree with Melie, deal with the issue at the top of the game and let grass roots rugby continue with as little messing around as possible.

I also liked Flatmans article https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/david-flatman-i-fear-the-game-is-becoming-too-apologetic-rugby-simply-will-never-appease-everybody/on this a few weeks ago. Rugby needs to be less apologetic and be proud that its a tough sport, that's why people play it in the first place!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 01:36:55 PM »
I agree with you Mellie, WR either outright ignores or has not considered (not sure which is worse) the fact that professional rugby influences the way that some clubs in the community play.

I also have yet to see any dangerous head shots in any games involving my club either involving our 1sts (Level 5), 2nds or 3rds, though it's not uncommon to see a tackle that attempts to stop the offload - which is something that started with the choke tackle at professional level. There has been times where I've noticed similarities between the way clubs in the Premiership play and clubs in the Premier Leagues (Midlands Premier for us) in the way backlines are organised etc. So it is certainly concerning that WR/RFU's aren't properly considering the influence professional rugby has.

I think there also needs to be a change of mindset in some corners of the community game. I've seen many comments on social media asking how they are now meant to stop the chance of an offload with the tackle height reduced. My thoughts would be that if an offload is a serious threat between a try being scored or not then perhaps it's a team's defensive ability needs to improve as well as tackling ability.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 01:48:05 PM »
That just is not true. Firstly there very little head on head in the grassroots ruby I watch, and what little there is not from high tackles but dubious ruck clear outs.
Agree with Melie, deal with the issue at the top of the game and let grass roots rugby continue with as little messing around as possible.

Not a single head-on-head all season for my junior side. The reason is simple. At this age group, ball carriers don't hinge at the waist and launch themselves as low as possible into contact like adults do.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 06:00:37 PM »
I?m with Mellie on this. WR must issue two directives for this. Tacklers - below the sternum. Ball carriers - no stooping. Can?t happen of course.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 06:28:17 PM »
Details of the law amendments coming in for "base of sternum and below" tackling including regulation for the ball carrier and no change at pick and go.

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/article/law-variations-approved-to-lower-tackle-height-in-community-rugby-union