Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Brad On Life  (Read 1286 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Brad On Life
« on: April 21, 2023, 08:01:58 AM »

Brad Shields: Missing out on England's 2019 World Cup squad took its toll

Exclusive: Having spent the last few years in Europe, playing for England, Wasps and Perpignan ? Shields is now returning to New Zealand
By Charlie Morgan, Senior Rugby Writer 20 April 2023 ? 1:57pm

Five years ago this week, Brad Shields found himself at the centre of a conflict that was threatening to go global. Thankfully, he can laugh about it now.

Having agreed a move to Wasps ahead of the 2018-19 campaign, Shields was being tapped up by Eddie Jones. But officials at New Zealand Rugby were not keen on any player ? let alone the Hurricanes captain ? leaving the Super Rugby season to join England for a tour of South Africa. Shields grasped the initiative and defused an awkward situation himself.

?It was a bit funny,? he remembers. ?I never thought that I was going to be called up or be a part of that tour. I thought that I would get over to England, prove myself on the pitch and go from there. I had a conversation with Eddie? but not much apart from a text message.

?The NZRU initially said no but I went over and had a catch-up. Obviously, you want to play international rugby and that?s the goal for most aspiring rugby players. We came to an agreement and I got released for that few weeks.?

It would be a gross understatement to suggest that the half-decade since has been eventful. Shields, whose parents were born in England, won nine caps before agonisingly missing out on World Cup selection in 2019.

A year later, he caught Covid in the week of a Premiership final and then welcomed his second child, Franco, after his pregnant wife had shaken off the virus.

Off the pitch, Shields has developed a line of flavoured hard-seltzer drinks, Social, alongside former Wasps colleague Josh Bassett. In a big step for the company, these will be stocked at Twickenham this weekend as Harlequins host Bath. Not bad for a venture inspired by Bassett?s dislike of beer.

Of course, Shields is also one of the Wasps players who had their lives thrown into limbo last October. Speaking from the south of France, Shields is engaged in a fierce relegation battle with Perpignan and has recently secured a return to the Hurricanes.

Nervousness and excitement are the pervading emotions. And while bitterness lingers from the Wasps fall-out, Shields harbours no regrets about spending a generous chunk of his career in Europe.

?You want to prove yourself to your peers,? explains Shields, starting with his feelings upon been whisked into the England squad for a series against the Springboks.

?That was always going to be the challenge, coming into a group without being part of the build-up, being a last-minute thing that just happened.

?I tried to work hard and understand my role so I could bring some value to the team and, in a way, feel accepted by the group. That was my biggest fear, not being accepted. But they were absolutely unbelievable. They brought me on board and made my time really, really good.?

?What I?m most proud of is taking the plunge and, I guess, ticking off the box of playing international rugby,? Shields adds. ?There aren?t many more prestigious places to play than Twickenham in front of 80,000. For me to play against the All Blacks was pretty special.?

A resourceful, hard-working back-rower, Shields featured in the 2019 Six Nations and the ensuing World Cup training camp. He was hindered by ligament damage in his foot, though, and pipped by Lewis Ludlam to the final back-row spot.

?At the time, I don?t think I recognised how much I was affected by that,? Shields admits with admirable candour. ?You?ve almost got to be like a goldfish in a sense. You have to face your demons, whether that be selection or injury, but rugby also gives you a really good chance to move on pretty quickly if you address it properly. I didn?t, initially, but now I?ve got a grip of that.?

Wasps supporters, as well as a tight-knit squad, would have rallied around Shields. He earned that support with committed performances and a desire to meet fans whenever possible. Upon the announcement of his deal with Hurricanes, the 32-year-old received a touching message that read: ?At least you?ll still be in black and yellow?. Naturally, a strong bond only made the denouement more painful.

?Ultimately, there is always a business element in professional sport and that let the players and the staff down,? Shields says. ?That leaves a sour taste, to say the least. The respect and the player welfare elements were completely discarded.

?It was tough because we were getting all the right messaging: ?This is all going to be OK?. Then when you get an email calling for a Monday morning meeting, to have a random person come in and say what they said ? ?we can?t pay you this month, the club?s in administration, you haven?t got a job from today? ? it?s a pretty rude awakening when you think you have a sense of security.?
'You had to say goodbye to people you respect'

A couple of WhatsApp groups have survived the demise of Wasps, allowing players to keep in touch. Yet the reality remains stark.

?Ultimately, everyone has got to move on with their lives and they?re doing that all around the world,? Shields shrugs. ?We had a really, really good group. We were proud of the direction we were going in. All of a sudden, you have to say goodbye to people you respect and put your body on the line for. You disperse the next day and that?s it.?

Shields is eager to reinforce his backing for Chris Holland and the phoenix club attempting to represent Wasps in the Championship next season. He knows that the road ahead will not be easy. Ironically, one major lesson from his spell in France has been the jeopardy of relegation and how that enhances things. Perpignan are currently 13th in the league. Finish there and they would have to beat the losing finalist of the second-tier play-offs to stay up.

?It?s been such a mental few months, with moving the family out and the language barrier and it being a shock to the kids, it?s taught me to enjoy rugby again. You can get so caught up in the game, putting pressure on yourself," says Shields.

?When you?re a kid, you play rugby because you love it and being in a team like this brings back that passion. And the crowd is insane. We have 16,000 people making noise for 80 minutes, non-stop.?
'I?m a different player to the one that left'

Whether or not Perpignan do retain top-flight status, Shields is bound for a second stint with the Hurricanes. The nervousness is about a ?first day of school? sensation rather than concerns about his reception. A happy homecoming awaits.

?There was some bad press, but I tried to stay away from that stuff,? Shields says. ?The team and the management were supportive of me because they knew what my aspirations were. I gave so much of myself, in terms of energy and effort, to the Hurricanes. It?d be different if I played for two years and buggered off.

?The messages I?m getting at the moment are excited and that?s probably what makes me nervous as well. I?m a different player to the one that left but I?ve got to embrace that. I?m looking forward to getting back and ripping in.?
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Brad On Life
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 08:55:34 AM »
Best wishes to Brad. Hope everything goes well for him and his family.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 10:00:03 AM »
Hankie required after reading that.  Good luck  and much happiness to you Brad.  A huge 'fan's favourite'  and tireless player, and superb captain.  Thank you for everything you've done for Wasps.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 04:13:01 PM »
The way Brad took to Wasps shows how great a man he is. It was to old Wasps' benefit and loved him being at the club but I do really have sympathy for him that it was the national side that brought him here and then left him in the international wilderness after a handful of games. I know professional sport is brutal but you don't do that.

I wish Brad all the best and every success in all of his future endeavors. Hopefully we see him back here in England soon - in any capacity.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 05:15:55 PM »
Whole situation with Eddie was nuts. He should have played for us before England, really. Eddie set him up to fail. He had a great career with us, but should have had more caps.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 07:43:33 PM »
As much talent as we lost I think Shields was right up there. Often somewhat under the radar but what a superb player.