Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England today  (Read 9455 times)

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England today
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2023, 11:52:25 PM »
I think it was a pen. To England. Irish player was attempting to gather a ball that was knocked on (and he had no right to play) and ran into an England player who could have legally played the ball. It was the Irish player's responsibility to move out of the way to avoid impeding the England player. Instead he dipped, collided and prevented the England player from any chance of taking part in the move.

Not a red.
Not a yellow.
No foul play.

And although downgrading is rare, the downgrade to yellow is face saving.

Agree. If a player knocks the ball on and a player from the same team picks the ball up in front of where it was knocked on, he's offside and it's a pen.

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2023, 10:55:22 AM »

Agree. If a player knocks the ball on and a player from the same team picks the ball up in front of where it was knocked on, he's offside and it's a pen.
[/quote]

He's only offside if he's in front of the player who knocks on which he wasn't. He ran to collect the ball from an on side position presumably to gather the ball to stop England gaining the advantage. No penalty, the correct outcome would have been scrum England as there was no advantage from the knock on.

I agree that the downgrading to yellow is just to save face, the mitigation is overwhelming. Very unfortunate incident but Rugby is a brutal old game even when is keeps within the laws, glad that common sense has prevailed. 

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2023, 11:09:41 AM »
glad that common sense has prevailed.

but too late, although  I don't think it affected the outcome, the game had already been ruined.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2023, 04:10:06 PM »

He's only offside if he's in front of the player who knocks on which he wasn't. He ran to collect the ball from an on side position presumably to gather the ball to stop England gaining the advantage. No penalty, the correct outcome would have been scrum England as there was no advantage from the knock on.

I agree that the downgrading to yellow is just to save face, the mitigation is overwhelming. Very unfortunate incident but Rugby is a brutal old game even when is keeps within the laws, glad that common sense has prevailed.
[/quote]

I agree he was not offside. But in trying to pick up the ball he obstructed the England player who could have played it. In this case by running into him.