Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Another One??  (Read 2774 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Another One??
« on: March 29, 2023, 07:48:00 AM »
London Irish risk NOT paying their players and staff this week https://mol.im/a/11912907 via https://dailym.ai/android
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Another One??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 08:28:25 AM »
I did wonder when I saw OHC going to Tigers.

Best wishes to the players and staff at this stressful time, recent history doesn?t appear to be on their side.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 09:43:24 AM »
Having thought about it does this reliance on US funding not smack of the WW debacle surrounding Atlas and withdrawal of US funding.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 10:20:36 AM »
I hope they're ok.  I've always enjoyed watchign them and have been along to games there a fair few times.  I'd hate for them to go the same way we have.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 10:46:52 AM »
London is a graveyard for Union.
Irish could go, Sarries would have gone ages ago without Nigel's wonga. Only Quins are even close to a decent business model, and that is questionable. One reason why a successful prem Wasps team in London itself is a fevered fantasy, and will become more so as the demographics continue as they have. London is a paragon of a modern multicultural city, Union the paragon of a niche game that is very regional and in the south at least, largely private school based,   played by a small number of countries worldwide. Soccer is the lingua franca, and London's uniquely antiquated transport system will make travelling to games from elsewhere in the SE an increasingly difficult task. 
Hope Irish survive, suspect they won't, their story is too similar to ours for my liking.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 10:50:09 AM »
Just had a look at their fans message board. They are doing what many on here did before Wasps went under, shooting the messenger!
Lets hope they get funding from somewhere sorted quickly.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 11:10:34 AM »
Statement from LI:

"It has been public knowledge that the Club is exploring its options with regards to investment, however no comment will be made until there is anything to announce.

In regards to recent media reports, London Irish can categorically confirm that all staff will be paid this month. Anything reported to the contrary is pure speculation."

Sounds eerily reminiscent of statements by Wasps.

https://www.london-irish.com/news/club-statement/bp4136/

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 11:32:16 AM »
Falcons have denied reports that they are investigating voluntary relegation.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 11:32:59 AM »
Statement from LI:

"It has been public knowledge that the Club is exploring its options with regards to investment, however no comment will be made until there is anything to announce.

In regards to recent media reports, London Irish can categorically confirm that all staff will be paid this month. Anything reported to the contrary is pure speculation."

Sounds eerily reminiscent of statements by Wasps.

https://www.london-irish.com/news/club-statement/bp4136/

Didn't we and WW not say something similar (at least ours were paid in the month).

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 11:41:13 AM »
Here Here VV.  One of my favourite teams (except for one player) -  always liked their supporters.  Good luck Irish.  Hope you overcome any troubles effectively and quickly.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 11:44:29 AM »
At this rate the Championship numbers will double.  At least.  The Premiership will then reach the RFU desired-for aim of four teams.

Sussex Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 11:54:04 AM »
WWW has this thing about London and it's a broken record. But look what happened in the wastelands of Coventry. London will work if the stadium is the right size, and transport links. The Stoop is the perfect example for both. Full house for most games. Great atmosphere. For those of us who have travelled to Sarries, the journey is a nightmare and last bit a road trip by taxi or Shanks pony.
Best of all would be in the South East of London or just outside, I don't how many people I have heard say if Wasps had  stadium around Sevenoaks it would buzz. No professional rugby in this area
I was one of the messengers shot down repeatedly on Drunken Wasps, likewise here fold are (were) even more rose tinted.
The Midlands was a complete disaster, and mostly because for 150 years we have been around / within the M25 and the move was doomed. And then the grossly incompetant management of Eastwood / Vaughan and his merry band of board members that totally ignored the massive annual 7 year losses, and to the end had no plan B. To say our future is in the Midlands is insanity. Yet that is what the genius Holland and his interim CEO Scott are mouthing. Holland is of course tainted as a prior member of the disasterous board, and wants teh Midlands to use his training facility. The Legends are brilliant but he should not be allowed anywhere near the club, yet until we find a long or even medium term financier, he is the proud owner of our trophy cabinet and trading name.
Unless the Legends ditch him , find a backer with deep pockets who can steer us back to the South East, with plans for  a newbuild self owned stadium to be put in place within a few years, this new show is not going to get off the ground.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 12:47:17 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I managed to talk to the parents of a couple of ex-Wasps players who are owed "Rugby-related" payments when Wasps eventually manage to reform.

What was suprising was that they put the blame almost entirely on Eastwood, as he was the prime mover of the move to Coventry, the Bond and he virtually run the whole Wasps Group empire. They were also critical of Dallaglio who they regarded as Eastwood's mouthpiece.

They did not blame Holland or Vaughan, as the impression they had were that both had the best intentions for the Rugby and, to a lesser extent, Netball sides, but were being given incorrect information from the "Group". The impression they had was that both were increasingly distanced from the "Group" by Eastwood. They said that at the fatefull meeting Vaughan was as shocked as everyone else because he had been led to believe things would be continuing.

Interestingly Derek was not blamed too much, because of the amount he has lost, and the fact he was "let down" by Eastwood.

To change the subject slightly I understand that unless the reformed Wasps play the first 3 seasons in the midlands area they will not be allowed in the Championship. However subsequently they can move, and I believe moving to an area that can be reached easily by both "heritage" and "midlands" fans would be an advantage. In my view that is somewhere on the Chiltern line/M40 corridor e.g. Banbury or Bicester.

I agree London, as such is a non-starter - when Wasps looked at a site near Wormwood Scrubs the stadium was affordable, but the infrastructure changes that the GLC required to be made were in excess of ?100m.

I am not sure moving south of London would work - just because there is a dearth of professional rugby in an area doesn't mean it will succeed there. Remember  the RFU deemed that Coventry was a prime area for Rugby development before aproving the move from Wycombe and look what happened there!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 01:20:26 PM »
WWW has this thing about London and it's a broken record. But look what happened in the wastelands of Coventry. London will work if the stadium is the right size, and transport links. The Stoop is the perfect example for both. Full house for most games. Great atmosphere. For those of us who have travelled to Sarries, the journey is a nightmare and last bit a road trip by taxi or Shanks pony.
Best of all would be in the South East of London or just outside, I don't how many people I have heard say if Wasps had  stadium around Sevenoaks it would buzz. No professional rugby in this area
I was one of the messengers shot down repeatedly on Drunken Wasps, likewise here fold are (were) even more rose tinted.
The Midlands was a complete disaster, and mostly because for 150 years we have been around / within the M25 and the move was doomed. And then the grossly incompetant management of Eastwood / Vaughan and his merry band of board members that totally ignored the massive annual 7 year losses, and to the end had no plan B. To say our future is in the Midlands is insanity. Yet that is what the genius Holland and his interim CEO Scott are mouthing. Holland is of course tainted as a prior member of the disasterous board, and wants teh Midlands to use his training facility. The Legends are brilliant but he should not be allowed anywhere near the club, yet until we find a long or even medium term financier, he is the proud owner of our trophy cabinet and trading name.
Unless the Legends ditch him , find a backer with deep pockets who can steer us back to the South East, with plans for  a newbuild self owned stadium to be put in place within a few years, this new show is not going to get off the ground.

Wow, and I thought I was negative...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 01:23:31 PM »

To change the subject slightly I understand that unless the reformed Wasps play the first 3 seasons in the midlands area they will not be allowed in the Championship. However subsequently they can move, and I believe moving to an area that can be reached easily by both "heritage" and "midlands" fans would be an advantage. In my view that is somewhere on the Chiltern line/M40 corridor e.g. Banbury or Bicester.

Indeed, Banbury sounds perfect especially as the Towns Footie club is looking to secure funds in building a new Community Stadium.

It also helps that their old and proposed stadiums are both within a 15 min walk for me  ;)