Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Another One??  (Read 2739 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Another One??
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 02:20:54 PM »
WWW has this thing about London and it's a broken record. But look what happened in the wastelands of Coventry. London will work if the stadium is the right size, and transport links. The Stoop is the perfect example for both. Full house for most games. Great atmosphere. For those of us who have travelled to Sarries, the journey is a nightmare and last bit a road trip by taxi or Shanks pony.
Best of all would be in the South East of London or just outside, I don't how many people I have heard say if Wasps had  stadium around Sevenoaks it would buzz. No professional rugby in this area
I was one of the messengers shot down repeatedly on Drunken Wasps, likewise here fold are (were) even more rose tinted.
The Midlands was a complete disaster, and mostly because for 150 years we have been around / within the M25 and the move was doomed. And then the grossly incompetant management of Eastwood / Vaughan and his merry band of board members that totally ignored the massive annual 7 year losses, and to the end had no plan B. To say our future is in the Midlands is insanity. Yet that is what the genius Holland and his interim CEO Scott are mouthing. Holland is of course tainted as a prior member of the disasterous board, and wants teh Midlands to use his training facility. The Legends are brilliant but he should not be allowed anywhere near the club, yet until we find a long or even medium term financier, he is the proud owner of our trophy cabinet and trading name.
Unless the Legends ditch him , find a backer with deep pockets who can steer us back to the South East, with plans for  a newbuild self owned stadium to be put in place within a few years, this new show is not going to get off the ground.

Wow, and I thought I was negative...

Well he has switched counties but the message is the same.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 02:33:23 PM »
Roger  E:  Thank you.  That all  made total good sense.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 02:44:47 PM »
Two more Gallagher Premiership clubs in financial peril - reports

England?s Gallagher Premiership woke up to damaging headlines on Wednesday morning, with separate reports claiming that Newcastle Falcons are considering voluntary relegation to the Championship while players and staff at London Irish are fearing not being paid their monthly salaries. The disturbing headlines come five months after both Worcester and Wasps were liquidated, resulting in the 13-team competition getting dramatically reduced to 11 for the 2022/23 season.

The sport has been delivering on the pitch, with numerous commentators describing the quality of on-pitch play this year as the best ever in the Premiership. There have also been some recent bumper attendances, with Harlequins attracting 54,669 to Twickenham earlier this month and Saracens getting 55,109 along to Tottenham last weekend.
However, the financial pinch has refused to go away and there have been regular anxieties about the financial viability of the Gallagher Premiership in the wake of the early-season demise of Worcester and Wasps.

With a 10-team league suggested for next season to balance out the fixture list, it has now been speculated that Newcastle might willingly exit the top flight for the Championship, while a delay in new investment is separately causing concern at London Irish despite last Saturday?s win over Northampton in front of a 13,543 attendance lifting them into the playoff positions.
City AM broke the story on Newcastle, reporting: ?Newcastle Falcons have denied suggestions that the club?s recent cost-cutting is paving the way to voluntarily drop out of the Premiership next year. City AM has learned of a growing belief in English rugby that the Tyneside team could be looking to ease their financial situation by joining the Championship as part of a wider shake-up of the domestic game.

?Newcastle have initiated a major offloading of talent during the current season, with England international duo George McGuigan and Trevor Davison shipped out, to Gloucester and Northampton Saints respectively, as well as a number of talented youngsters? Furthermore, it is understood that a number of Newcastle players are out of contract at the end of the season with the club grappling, as many others are, with the need to cut costs and remain within Premiership Rugby?s current ?5m salary cap.
?The club has made a dramatic cut in season ticket prices for the 2023-24 season from ?294 to ?180, which puts them in line with many Championship clubs and cheaper than some second-tier sides, such as Ealing Trailfinders and Doncaster Knights, this season.

?Newcastle chiefs told City AM that they had not had any discussions with Premiership Rugby about voluntarily dropping into the Championship in 2024 or otherwise. Premiership Rugby declined to comment.?
Meanwhile, Sportsmail reported the alleged salary uncertainty at London Irish. ?London Irish players, coaches and staff are anxiously waiting to discover if they will be paid later this week amid growing fears of financial turmoil, as a buy-out of the club has been delayed.
?Sportsmail has learned that Exiles employees are worried about the threat of their monthly wages not being received. It is understood that coaches and players have been seeking assurances, after being made aware of potential trouble.
?On Tuesday night, Premiership Rugby and the RFU claimed that ?a cash flow solution? has been found, to alleviate the danger of the payroll deadline not being met. However, any solution is based on confirmation of new investment ? believed to be from the United States ? which has been held up for some time.

?Well-placed sources say this is not the first time this season that there have been doubts over wages, at a time when owner Mick Crossan has been trying to relinquish control of the club. It is thought that there were similar fears around Christmas, which proved to be unfounded. Employees have been told repeatedly that a buy-out is imminent ? but that is yet to take place.
?The PRL hierarchy are convinced it will happen ?soon?, with the spectre of Wasps and Worcester?s financial collapses still looming large over the sport. Crossan told Sportsmail last September that he was ready to give Irish away for free, having presided over a return to London from Reading, in a ground-share with Brentford.?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 02:45:51 PM »
From RugbyPass - got missed off.

Old news though

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2023, 02:47:49 PM »
WWW has this thing about London and it's a broken record. But look what happened in the wastelands of Coventry. London will work if the stadium is the right size, and transport links. The Stoop is the perfect example for both. Full house for most games. Great atmosphere. For those of us who have travelled to Sarries, the journey is a nightmare and last bit a road trip by taxi or Shanks pony.
Best of all would be in the South East of London or just outside, I don't how many people I have heard say if Wasps had  stadium around Sevenoaks it would buzz. No professional rugby in this area
I was one of the messengers shot down repeatedly on Drunken Wasps, likewise here fold are (were) even more rose tinted.
The Midlands was a complete disaster, and mostly because for 150 years we have been around / within the M25 and the move was doomed. And then the grossly incompetant management of Eastwood / Vaughan and his merry band of board members that totally ignored the massive annual 7 year losses, and to the end had no plan B. To say our future is in the Midlands is insanity. Yet that is what the genius Holland and his interim CEO Scott are mouthing. Holland is of course tainted as a prior member of the disasterous board, and wants teh Midlands to use his training facility. The Legends are brilliant but he should not be allowed anywhere near the club, yet until we find a long or even medium term financier, he is the proud owner of our trophy cabinet and trading name.
Unless the Legends ditch him , find a backer with deep pockets who can steer us back to the South East, with plans for  a newbuild self owned stadium to be put in place within a few years, this new show is not going to get off the ground.

Where to start with that. Some huge rose-tinted spectacles there.

Lets talk about the midlands and the 'disaster'. I'm not from Coventry but live there now, and have for about 30 years. The visibility of Tigers, Worcester & Saints as top teams was non-existent outside the local rugby clubs, not once in my 20+ years prior to Wasps arrival did Tigers ever promote themselves in Coventry, as soon as Wasps announced they were moving they got all indignant and put up billboards etc.
Coventry Rugby were a mess, they were in National league 1 and not doing well, they had also called in the administrators/gone bust twice. They had to sell off their ground in Coundon Road.
Again they got all indignant but had/have zero plans to get to the prem, and had about 1200 spectators at a match. I went to a few in the early years I was in Cov at Coundon road but stopped as they were poor and matchday experience wasn't great.
Then look at Wasps, yes free tickets, they weren't as freely available as the SBT lot would have you believe, but even in the final year with no freebies they were hitting in or around 10k spectators, a number of Prem clubs would love that level of support (and how often did it happen at AP, very rarely I understand). This side of things was good and successful.
What wasn't was the way the business was run, the losses, which did stop just before COVID were too high, then there was COVID.
Being in Coventry was a success in attendances.

Why do you think moving to Sevenoaks would work? Nothing says it would other than it's near your house so you want it there and a few local rugby clubs want it. In Coventry there are over 10 rugby clubs, plus numerous in the surrounding area, the support is there, and it turned out.
Yes the stoop is busy now, I went a few years ago and it was easy to get tickets last minute. Also it's capacity is under 15,000, every year except the COVID years that Wasps were at the Ricoh, we would have easily filled the Stoop, on occasion twice over. Saracens struggled to fill their 10,000 seater stadium, LI get nowhere near filling their ground, so what evidence is there that a move to London would work. It doesn't work for the current clubs.

It's really easy to be very negative about the move based on how the business side of things turned out, but for getting people through the turnstiles it worked, so I don't see how moving away from something that worked to an area with zero history of Prem rugby would be any better.

On the business side I don't think we will ever get the full story, I know someone who worked, and still does, at the arena and he was quite scathing of the way it was run by Derek, and how Stephen Vaughan was basically bypassed quite often, his comment that he felt it was unfair the amount of grief Vaughan got on the forums. Sounds like from RogerE's comments Vaughan wasn't the issue, but Eastwood was in that case. Whilst it is what actually sunk Wasps it doesn't really point to a well run business being unsuccessful in the same area with a sensible cost base.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2023, 03:29:04 PM »
Times article :

Premiership Rugby try to force through London Irish takeover amid financial concerns
Players and staff will be paid on time this month but there are no guarantees over the club?s immediate future the longer a potential change in ownership drags on

Premiership Rugby are doing ?everything possible? to help force through a takeover of London Irish as financial uncertainty causes deep concern at the club.

London Irish are fourth in the Gallagher Premiership and in a strong position to reach the play-offs for the first time since 2009. However, the owner Mick Crossan has had to stump up hundreds of thousands of pounds each month from his own pocket this season to make sure bills are paid.

Crossan has been looking to sell the club and The Times understands that he has a US consortium lined up for the purchase. However, with the deal dragging, Premiership Rugby are keen to push through the takeover and, according to a source, doing ?everything possible? to make it happen.

Players and staff at London Irish were worried that they would not be paid on time for this month, but the club sent their employees an email on Wednesday morning confirming that payments are now being processed.

A source said that the Irish situation is ?very different? to those at Wasps and Worcester, who both went into administration last autumn. Irish have not yet missed any monthly payments to players and Crossan has found genuine investors to take the club on. However, there are no guarantees over the club?s immediate future. The priority is to find enough funds to finish the league season.
Advertisement

In a statement released on Wednesday, the London Irish said: ?It has been public knowledge that the club is exploring its options with regards to investment, however no comment will be made until there is anything to announce. In regards to recent media reports, London Irish can categorically confirm that all staff will be paid this month.?

Crossan is determined to find a buyer with his beloved club?s best interests at heart, before he departs in the summer. He told the Mail on Sunday last year that he would give away the club for nothing. ?If anyone?s looking to buy a rugby club with its own training ground and perpetual (P) shares then they don?t even have to buy it,? he said. ?I?ll give it to them as long as they fund it.?

Rumours began circulating the club around Christmas that they were in financial trouble. Despite their move back to London in 2021, from Reading, to take up tenancy at the Brentford Community Stadium, Irish produce a small turnover (about ?10 million at best in a good year) and have large debts. According to a report published by the House of Commons website, using Companies House data, Irish owe ?37.3 million.

At that time, Crossan and the interim chief executive Adrian Alli, who was appointed in October, addressed the squad to allay their fears. On the strength of that message, many players signed new contracts, turning down offers elsewhere, although recently others have decided to leave due to the uncertainty. ?If it goes wrong now the players will be left high and dry and utterly furious,? a source said.
Sponsored

Irish have always produced young players, but some will depart in the summer. Ollie Hassell-Collins, the England wing, will join Leicester Tigers and full back Tom Parton is joining Saracens.

This fraught situation at Irish sits in stark contrast to their form on the field. The club were bottom of the Premiership at Christmas but have risen to fourth after recent victories over Northampton Saints and Newcastle Falcons and Sale Sharks.

?It?s not filtered down to the players yet,? a source said. ?As it does it will have an impact, which is a real shame as it?s starting to come together.?

Premiership Rugby declined to comment.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2023, 05:29:26 PM »
Kent, you said it yourself- an owner with deep pockets.
Yes, we can play in London with one of them, I do not deny that.
We could also play in Oxford, Wycombe or Cornwall with one of them. Without one of them London is a non starter,because without one of them Sarries would be bust with their own stadium  and Irish soon will be.
Not sure about the broken record bit. I normally only post on  the subject when financial details of the failing London clubs come out, or in response to you.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2023, 06:11:32 PM »
If our owner had deeper pockets, we'd still be in Coventry.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2023, 06:28:54 PM »
I think Falcons will go. Jettisoning players like confetti mid season is a hell of a tell tale sign. Irish I regret will be the same. Professional rugby as we know it probably has a year max to run. Other teams will survive thanks to cash gifts but the fundamental structure as we know it has and will continue to crumble away. London is, quite frankly, a crazy suggestion. If Irish can?t make a ground share work there?s just no chance. There is also the trifling fact that we aren?t allowed to play there. Prem can?t carry on as it is. Champ can?t bloat uncontrollably. Welsh rugby is bust. All that equals imminent changes and lots of them.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2023, 08:39:32 PM »
I think Irish might be ok. There are plenty of wealthy Americans who consider themselves to be Irish and will leap at the opportunity to prove it.  If they started the process early enough then I guess an American consortium of wannabe Irish is the perfect answer.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2023, 09:00:39 PM »
I think Irish might be ok. There are plenty of wealthy Americans who consider themselves to be Irish and will leap at the opportunity to prove it.  If they started the process early enough then I guess an American consortium of wannabe Irish is the perfect answer.

This +1

Unfortunately

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2023, 09:11:50 PM »
Indeed, Neils.  Mixed emotions.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2023, 09:31:34 PM »
Let's face it we'd have jumped at the offer had we had the choice.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2023, 10:44:40 PM »

Of course we ( or our owners) would have but we see the RFU getting involved here. Where were they when WW and Wasps went belly up.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2023, 12:34:10 AM »

Of course we ( or our owners) would have but we see the RFU getting involved here. Where were they when WW and Wasps went belly up.

Well yes, where indeed.