Always a Wasp

Author Topic: World Rugby - Player insurance  (Read 1384 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
World Rugby - Player insurance
« on: December 22, 2018, 09:47:02 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/21/premiership-world-rugby-player-insurance-legal-threat

So the PRL are obviously using the Dale Carnegie marketing mantra of "How to win friends and influence people" ... probably annoying the other home union nations again.

Interestingly it sheds some light on the issue of players picking injuries whilst away on international duty (this was discussed a few times on the DW board in relation to the Sam Jones injury and retirement, and the various other long term injuries picked up in Eng training camps).

(I had to read it 3 times before I got my head around it.. I think)

It seems there's a World Rugby reg forcing Tier 1 nations to pay up to £225k to cover a players club salary if injury ocurs on national duty.. if a player earns more than £225k then the club has to make up the difference.

World Rugby themselves pick up the bill if its  Tier 2 international player

With salary inflation PRL want that increased, if its not then they are threatening not to allow GP based players (non-england) to join their national squads before the official window starts for the WC...

That is if I'm reading all that correctly.

No wonder the RFU are strapped for cash though, imagine the insurance bills they've been paying out thanks to Eddies training camps  ;D

The question is.. what constitutes "international duty". Does that include training camps etc
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 09:56:38 AM by BG »