Always a Wasp

Author Topic: RWC 2023 match officials  (Read 1415 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
RWC 2023 match officials
« on: May 10, 2023, 11:29:36 PM »
Referees: Nika Amashukeli (Georgia), Wayne Barnes (England), Nic Berry (Australia), Andrew Brace (Ireland), Matthew Carley (England), Karl Dickson (England), Angus Gardner (Australia), Ben O'Keeffe (New Zealand), Luke Pearce (England), Jaco Peyper (South Africa), Mathieu Raynal (France) and Paul Williams (New Zealand).

Assistant Referees: Chris Busby (Ireland), Pierre Brousset (France), James Doleman (New Zealand), Craig Evans (Wales), Andrea Piardi (Italy), Christophe Ridley (England) and Jordan Way (Australia).

Television Match Officials: Brett Cronan (Australia), Tom Foley (England), Marius Jonker (South Africa), Brian MacNeice (Ireland), Joy Neville (Ireland), Brendon Pickerill (New Zealand) and Ben Whitehouse (Wales)

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: RWC 2023 match officials
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 07:14:25 AM »
I don't understand the fast tracking of Karl Dickson, if there is a controversial ref decision being discussed then I am genuinely surprised if Karl wasn't the ref.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 07:30:37 AM »
Great to see Nic Berry on the list.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 10:24:59 AM »
I was a fan of Karl Dickson when he first started because he had played the game so recently & could empathise with the players to keep the game flowing.
Over the last year or so however he seems to have got bogged down in trying to find reasons to blow his whistle!

Can't see any reason why more female refs aren't in there. Sarah Cox, Holly Davidson, Aur?lie Groizeleau, They seem to have done excellent jobs when I have watched them.
One saving grace though, no Clare Hodnet, who seems to be the TMO equivalent of Karl Dickson isnt there either.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 01:10:41 PM »
I don't understand the fast tracking of Karl Dickson, if there is a controversial ref decision being discussed then I am genuinely surprised if Karl wasn't the ref.

As Paul said, it might be that he benefitted from being going straight into refereeing from his playing career. He retired in 2017 on the 6th May (Harlequin's last game of the season - they didn't make the play-offs. I did check, and he did play in that game) with the announcement of his move to officiating coming 4 days later (from the 2017/18 season onwards).

He probably also had the advantage of being able to make the right connections during his time at Harlequins, which may have helped expedite his career. Add onto this that, by regularly being behind Care in the pecking order, he had the relative freedom to gain his officiating experience whilst still playing. He officiated A-League semi-finals just before he retired.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 03:09:03 PM »
I'd have thought the Georgians would be a bit more pleased for Nika Amashukeli then their Facebook post suggested...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 03:11:30 PM »
I'd have thought the Georgians would be a bit more pleased for Nika Amashukeli then their Facebook post suggested...

Nice spot.

Good ref though.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 05:30:29 PM »
Three refs from England + 1 x AR & 1 x TMO.

I'm not sure what that says about the standard of refereeing here or the rest of the world.

Agree that its good to see Nika on the list, a good ref and well done to World Rugby for bringing him on and letting him get experience.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 01:09:28 PM »
More VERY questionable calls from Dickson on Saturday.
The commentary team were struggling not to be too critical, but honestly, some of it was just baffling...

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 01:59:02 PM »
More VERY questionable calls from Dickson on Saturday.
The commentary team were struggling not to be too critical, but honestly, some of it was just baffling...

Going back to my previous post in this thread.

Lots of discussion over a controversial ref decision this weekend, and what a surprise, it was Karl Dickson.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 03:05:33 PM »
Equally surprising, it was a decision that favoured Saracens.