Always a Wasp

Author Topic: From the bottom we go!  (Read 1264 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
From the bottom we go!
« on: May 21, 2023, 06:48:44 PM »
It?s very apparent we are going to start at the bottom of the league structure. The why?s and wherefores have been discussed in full. But as other fans have said, what a journey the trip back up might be. There are no guarantees of progression through the leagues and there are lots of them. But for me, if there?s one thing this sorry debacle has crystallised in my mind it?s that I?m not too bothered about taking part in what will become a stale, repetitive and broke premiership. I?m looking forward to the journey, based on the model of sustainability, that I think we?ll embark on. I think we?ll still have our team. It won?t be Leota, Rees, Varndell, Gopperth or Beale but it will be Wasps. I?m happy to get behind whatever emerges.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: From the bottom we go!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 07:42:31 PM »
I don't honestly think it will be viable from the bottom, but you never know. There already is the FC, having two Wasps only works if they are majorly different in terms of ambition.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 11:35:31 AM »
A club local to me had a similar fall from grace.

They were a small community club who attracted the interest of a rich businessman. His son started playing as a mini & he got involved. He financed the 1st team & they rocketed up the rugby pyramid, with multiple back to back promotions. This caused a far amount of problems within the club as the minis, Juniors & lower sides felt a bit excluded form the professional 1st team. He financed a move away form their traditional ground as he fully intended them to make it to the Premiership.
They were flying high in National 2 when the investor very suddenly had a heart attack & died. This left them with huge financial holes that could not be filled & their 1st team folded. After a couple of seasons they re-appeared in Kent Counties 4, the lowest available league. They finished their first season mid table.
They were able to reform because, despite the 1st team dissolving, the essence of the club, the old ex players propping up the bar, the committees, the minis & juniors, was still there. With all of that, they have still only managed to finish mid table in the lowest league.

Wasps problem, as I see it, is that it really is just a name. Theres no traditional club in the back ground that it can base itself on. How is it going to survive?
Shugs you say "I think we'll still have our team" but will we? How is a bunch of players & coaches that have no Wasps background or history (an assumption I know) Wasps?
Can sticking a badge on a new team, make them Wasps? I honestly dont know.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 12:17:51 PM »
It's very apparent we are going to start at the bottom of the league structure.
No it isn't!

All we know is that Wasps cannot start again as a professional team in the Championship so, if they want to continue with their plans of a new team, it would mean starting at the bottom of the pyramid.

If the Legends' goal is to get Wasps back in the Prem as quickly possible and build a stadium for it in a few years time then there is a much better way.

The Legends comprise several former Wasps 1st team players who played at Sudbury. They were therefore part of the Wasps FC club that still exists at Level 8. So they could offer to finance that club in Acton and help their 1st team climb the leagues. However, they need to guarantee to keep the ethos of the whole club intact. That could be by adding another team layer so those who still want to play at their current level can still do so.

Over the time period it will take to climb the leagues and become a fully professional team they can also run the M40 corridor stadium project so that the professional arm can play there while the lower teams carry on much in the same way they do now in Acton.

That plan would create a Wasps team and club that longstanding supporters could still be jnvested in and not just the name of a Midlands outfit with no connections to the Wasps club other than that. If they want to bring their real fan base with them that is the only option. I would support that.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 12:38:42 PM »
The thread re London Welsh shows how it should, IMO, be done I think.