Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Grim outlook?  (Read 3822 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Grim outlook?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 08:39:50 PM »
Yes, I saw it at the time. Now superseded by the news that HMRC have filed for a Winding up order on Irish.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 09:11:08 PM »
Yes, I saw it at the time. Now superseded by the news that HMRC have filed for a Winding up order on Irish.

Yes - thought it needed posting to see who is next.🤣

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 10:02:56 PM »
I suspect that Newcastle are also struggling. While there are spending well below the cap, their gate receipts are super low. They slashed ST prices for next season, and I am not sure they sold that many anyway. I think Tony Rowe must be hurting though. Chiefs regularly fill their ground, but even that isn't enough. They are probably also spending well under the cap.

I think we can expect Irish to go under very soon, so that makes 10. If Tigers, Chiefs and Newcastle go under, then the PRL is at 7:

Cheats
Quins
Saints
Bath
Bristol
Gloucester
Sale

I am far from convinced Gloucester are on sound footings either, so make that 6, of who only Saints do not have an uber rich sugar daddy, right?

Government 'talking' about help for both League and Union? Not going to happen. Lots of gas and air. No votes in it.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 12:05:32 AM »
If there is one silver lining it would be Tigers going.  With few exceptions, they have been obnoxious as fans all over these past few months.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 07:42:25 AM »
If there is one silver lining it would be Tigers going.  With few exceptions, they have been obnoxious as fans all over these past few months.

+1 especially those we came across in Dublin

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 09:24:41 AM »
Be interesting to see how the English Eddie Jones (Baxter) would react to Chiefs going under.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 09:38:02 AM »
The clubs and league are in an absolute mess financially, but if we are honest this is a situation all of PRL and the premiership clubs -including our own- making. The fact that self governance has been shocking since professionalism is the main cause. There was little to no support for clubs such as Richmond, Coventry, Rugby etc who fell early on. London Welsh collapsed with barely a flutter of support. Ally to this that in 2015 with it being a pretty open secret Saracens and Bath were flouting the cap, which went unpunished, are we really surprised the slap on the wrist to Saracens occurred?

All clubs have been navel gazing, looking out only for themselves and supporting the ?pull the ladder up jack and sod the rest approach? with a closed shop league, and lack of support to those in the championship who harbour ambitions to make it to the top flight. They have supported rather than fought against the criteria to enter the prem, and see the Championship clubs as feeder clubs, rather than fully professional outfits that should be challenging them as they deserve to be.

The increase of the salary cap is so absurd that it beggars belief, and the idea a 10 team closed shop will be attractive and will pull in more supporters is fallacy defined.

I love our sport, but I am coming to the conclusion a complete collapse and reset is likely the only way it will be saved. The RFU, PRL and clubs themselves are, frankly, neither capable or clever enough to do it themselves.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 12:32:04 PM »
I suppose it depends on how you define ?at risk?. Those bumping along the bottom financially appear to be Cheats minor, Falcons, Exeter and Glaws. But at risk in terms of the whim/presence of a benefactor are Sale, Cheats major, Bath and Brizz. They have a different and maybe less immediate risk - but who knows. Just leaves Saints playing Quins!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 03:40:52 PM »
Ceterum (autem) censeo PRL esse delendam

And start again

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 04:03:55 PM »

And start again

Scorched earth baby. Burn it down. Nero was right.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 10:05:12 AM »

And start again

;D
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2023, 10:48:08 AM »
the idea a 10 team closed shop will be attractive and will pull in more supporters is fallacy defined.

I don't think any of the people involved in making the decisions (i.e. PRL and RFU) have suggested it will be a closed shop.  It's just fan murmurings that seem to be doing that. 

The daft thing in all of this is that it seems like PRL are talking about doubling down on the criteria enter 'Prem 1' - What we really need is a plan and scope for Clubs to be able to grow in line with their revenues.  Not a pre-req that Prem 1 Clubs should have a 10k+ seater stadium, the only reason for which is that they have a mandatory public healthy and safety certification from the Department of Sport (or whatever it's called these days).

Surely it would be significantly cheaper to go through an inspection/audit/certification process for whatever current stadia teams have without ploughing millions into trying to build a stadium that sits empty most of the time in the hope that they get promoted.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2023, 11:33:33 AM »
I don't think any of the people involved in making the decisions (i.e. PRL and RFU) have suggested it will be a closed shop.  It's just fan murmurings that seem to be doing that.

But with a lack of focused ideas or even comment coming from PRL/RFU fans are making up rumours etc.
Some comms around what they are thinking would be a good idea.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 12:10:45 PM »
You also have to wonder what fans of other teams are thinking?
If you club isn't showing any signs of distress you could easily dismiss Wasps, Warriors & even LI as teams that have caused their own downfall and those clubs with sound business foundations or rich backers have no need to worry.
We saw it on here when Warriors went under, Wasps were OK because Derek was a decent bloke & we'd just signed Vincent Koch!
You saw it on Irish's message board when things started looking bad. No need to worry Mick Crossan is great bloke, he won't let Irish go under....

There will be some serious reality checks for some fans!