Always a Wasp

Author Topic: This Might have been missed - BT want Rebate  (Read 4409 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
This Might have been missed - BT want Rebate
« on: June 08, 2023, 10:01:09 AM »
EXCLUSIVE: Premiership Rugby faces MORE issues as BT Sport demands a multi-million pound rebate after it was confirmed that the competition will shrink to just 10 teams next season after London Irish's suspension

London Irish were suspended from the Gallagher Premiership on Tuesday
    It means that the competition will shrink to just 10 teams from next season
    Broadcasters BT Sports are demanding a multi-million pound rebate 

By Matt Hughes For Mailonline

Published: 17:01, 7 June 2023 | Updated: 20:21, 7 June 2023

Premiership Rugby clubs are facing further financial problems with their main broadcast partner BT Sport demanding a multi-million pound rebate following confirmation that the competition will shrink to 10 teams next season.

Mail Sport has learned that preliminary discussions over BT's compensation demands began after Wasps and Worcester were kicked out of the Gallagher Premiership earlier in the season and negotiations are now expected to intensify after London Irish's demise was confirmed on Tuesday.

BT have one season remaining on a three-year deal worth ?110million with Premiership Rugby, but have lost almost one-quarter of the clubs who were due to compete, which they are arguing has significantly reduced the value of the TV contract.

The broadcaster's frustration is compounded by the fact that they will be rebranded as TNT Sports this summer after being bought by Warner Brothers Discovery, so are conscious about having compelling products to attract and retain customers.

Premiership Rugby are sympathetic to BT's position, but will fight hard to limit the size of the rebate, as many of their remaining 10 clubs are beset by financial problems.
London Irish were suspended on Tuesday after the club failed to pay all their staff for May

London Irish were suspended on Tuesday after the club failed to pay all their staff for May
Next season's Gallagher Premiership will now only have 10 teams following the withdrawal

Next season's Gallagher Premiership will now only have 10 teams following the withdrawal
BT Sport are demanding a multi-million pound rebate and their frustration is compounded as they look to keep customers at a time when they will be re-branded as TNT Sports this summer

BT Sport are demanding a multi-million pound rebate and their frustration is compounded as they look to keep customers at a time when they will be re-branded as TNT Sports this summer

Covid-19 loans from government have yet to be repaid, while the loss of three clubs will lead to a significant reduction in their gate receipts next season.

One potential compromise which has been mentioned in the talks would be for Premiership Rugby to offer TNT Sports a discount on the next three-year rights cycle beginning in 2024, negotiations over which are due to begin shortly.

Despite Premiership Rugby's best efforts to hold a competitive tender process it is understood there has so far been little interest from elsewhere.

Sky Sports have just spent over ?1billion securing the next five years of EFL live matches from 2024, and their immediate priorities are retaining the majority of live Premier League rights after 2025 and securing rugby league's Super League from next season in a cut-price deal.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: This Might have been missed - BT want Rebate
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 10:56:28 AM »
What a surprise, if I was BT Sport I would be doing the same, this is a vast amount of booked airtime for next, and this past, seasons that is now empty and they need to find something else to fill it.

I've seen comments from a Tiggers fan saying they will still be able to show as many matches as they didn't show them all anyway, completely missing the fact in a 13 team league there are 26 playing weekends, whilst in a 10 team league there are only 18. Both then have the additional 2 for semi's and Final.

So with 3 live matches per weekend and approx 4hrs of live broadcast per match plus a few extra hours of highlights and Rugby tonight, they could be losing around 16hrs of broadcasting per weekend.
Based on 16hrs per weekend their total (excluding finals) is 416hrs with 13 teams, 288hrs with 10 teams.
I'd be looking for a big rebate.

This is what the Prem 10 seem to forget, the broadcast money won't stay the same when the number of hours and weekends greatly reduces.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 01:42:19 PM »
Not to mention Wasps and Irish had high TV figures as the fanbase is more spread. Reduced fans with skin in the game. I am not watching any English rugby, many will watch less.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 02:31:19 PM »
Not to mention Wasps and Irish had high TV figures as the fanbase is more spread. Reduced fans with skin in the game. I am not watching any English rugby, many will watch less.

Plus Wasps had one of the biggest travelling fanbase due, in part, to our spread across the country. We were often told in Europe that we were their biggest visitors from England. All lost now.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 02:44:51 PM »
You reap what you sow.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 04:46:51 PM »
But but but, fewer teams is better! Don't they understand? Are they stupid?

Just wait for it to be an eight-team league halfway through next season, they'll be falling over each other in an attempt to secure the rights for more money.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 04:54:16 PM »
As much as 8 you reckon??

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 05:10:47 PM »
One potential compromise which has been mentioned in the talks would be for Premiership Rugby to offer TNT Sports a discount on the next three-year rights cycle beginning in 2024, negotiations over which are due to begin shortly.
At a time when rugby needs more than ever to try to capture the imagination of children and their parents as well as sport loving adults they?re going to lock it behind a paywall, again, in pursuit of a short term fix.

If I?m going to pay to watch rugby next season it won?t be the premier league.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 05:19:08 PM »

Plus Wasps had one of the biggest travelling fanbase due, in part, to our spread across the country. We were often told in Europe that we were their biggest visitors from England. All lost now.

Maybe we were just the noisiest and drank the most wine?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 05:47:28 PM »
Who do BT Sport pay the money to, the RFU or PRL? I reckon they could be asking for as much as 30m rebate. In effect, next year for free. I was wondering whose budget this will come off? And likely that could seriously impact all the PRL clubs.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 05:52:21 PM »

Maybe we were just the noisiest and drank the most wine?

That might be it

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 10:33:50 PM »
At this rate, there will be more teams in the 6N than the Premiership.

Nevertheless despite the less-is-more belief of the PRL, RFU and the Chief Wanker (Baxter), I?m cancelling my BT Sport subscription as soon as the contract is up. As that will be in August, after the rebranding, you could say that I?ll be detonating TNT.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 10:26:50 AM »
But but but, fewer teams is better! Don't they understand? Are they stupid?

Just wait for it to be an eight-team league halfway through next season, they'll be falling over each other in an attempt to secure the rights for more money.

Looks like this was written tongue in cheek, but let's also remember that fewer teams being better is being taken out of context. A 10-team Premiership will only work with a strong second division with promotion/relegation is what is being talked about in conjunction with a smaller Prem.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 11:46:07 AM »
Have any players commented on the less teams stuff?

If there's to be 10 teams instead of 13, then that's 18 league games per season rather than 24.

A quarter less games, a quarter less salary ???

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 12:03:56 PM »
Have any players commented on the less teams stuff?

If there's to be 10 teams instead of 13, then that's 18 league games per season rather than 24.

A quarter less games, a quarter less salary ???

Probably still to feed down to that level.