Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Future  (Read 19566 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2023, 11:06:41 AM »
That sits under my Option 4, but its too early to say if it will amount to anything IMO.
Theres also the question of how much a franchise Wasps (& Warriors & Irish) would feel like to supporters? Yes they are well known names with great history but how many actual supporters of those clubs will be interested? How many will be left to be interested?

The 3 clubs that have gone bust are now just badges & IP. But as we all know theres more to supporting a club than just a badge.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2023, 11:07:45 AM »
Of all the ideas on how to save professional rugby that have been floated this is the only one that has appeared credible and remains afloat. However, it won't work without promotion and relegation and to that end the artificial barriers for protecting the PRL such as ground size, need to be removed or significantly lowered.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2023, 01:29:01 PM »
This has the stench of CVC about it.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2023, 02:26:45 PM »
I hope to God something positive really does result from this, and IF it does I hope to God I'm still around to see it.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2023, 03:46:01 PM »
Does this really change anything though? There won't be any more money to go around (or significantly more anyway), so what is left will be spread more thinly unless the idea is to remove the cap and let everyone spend what they can.  Until they deal with the perennial cheating (and get the media to stop lauding cheating) then everything else is fiddling around the edges.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2023, 06:23:11 PM »
It sounds like a cut and paste of the Rugby League set up going forward.
It's bloody daft.

Hickmania23

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2023, 09:08:15 AM »
The sale agreement for Birmingham City has just been released to HKSE and confirms BCFC are paying ?28,000 per month to lease the EPIC according someone who has read through the documents

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2023, 09:15:51 AM »
The sale agreement for Birmingham City has just been released to HKSE and confirms BCFC are paying ?28,000 per month to lease the EPIC according someone who has read through the documents

Nice wedge.
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2023, 11:53:17 AM »
Of all the ideas on how to save professional rugby that have been floated this is the only one that has appeared credible and remains afloat. However, it won't work without promotion and relegation and to that end the artificial barriers for protecting the PRL such as ground size, need to be removed or significantly lowered.

Not sure about credible, lots of have mentioned a two-division structure.  Problem is that the same trio involved in running/owning the Premiership and Championship (RFU, PRL and CVC) are the same trio trying to conjour up a solution to the very problems they've created.  When you read this garage, it sounds like (once again) they're wide of the mark:

t is not yet clear what conditions to regain entry would be, but there is a widespread view that their return would help consolidate the rebranding and streamlining of English rugby?s top two tiers.

The most likely pathway would involve a move to a franchise system that will see clubs able to gain entry if they can prove they meet a revised minimum standards criteria that goes beyond having a stadium with a capacity of 10,000 but is also likely to include levels of support, strength of brand name, size of social media following and a long-term vision for growth.

This ties in with PRLs suggestion that fans want and can be guaranteed a really premium experience for Premiership Rugby.  Not that first they need to fix the economics of rugby, work out a sustainable long-term plan, or help teams make sure they can get the best players on the pitch so more casual fans can see the stars of the game.  You know, the important bits.

The best thing Wasps, Irish and Warriors could do is break away from those 3 completely then seek to encourage as many of the other Prem Teams over as possible - that way, they stand a chance of doing things properly. 

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2023, 01:34:36 PM »
Is there any pro sport in Enland that is entirely self funded via fan ticketing prices, fund raisers (like meals/parties, bucket shakers), in ground purchases (parking, drinks, food, programmes), equipment sponsorship (shirts) and pitch side advertising, and merchandise? What I would deem as 'genuine' community income, as apposed to some billionaire writing a cheque with a ton of zeroes.

At grass roots, most local Rugby Union clubs have found a way to balance their books on a sustainable level. It is only the top two tiers and at International level that expenditure exceeds income.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2023, 09:58:35 AM »
So two months on from my original post I think we know what is NOT going to happen.
No deal has been made with Wasps Amateurs to re-join & play at Twyford Avenue & the RFU have stated that Wasps has not requested to play at any level in their league structure.

Given that must mean nothing is going to happen in the coming season, lets have some kind of announcement stating that & explaining some of the details of why?

But, nothing on the website since May, only a few hints from Pudsey that something might be happening, but nothing ever seems to & complete silence from anyone that we know is involved in whats left of Wasps. Come on, communicate!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2023, 12:19:45 PM »
Ball is likely in the RFU and PRL Court over a championship rebrand to prem ii. They need to get ten convincing clubs together.

Personally I think it will fail, because none of the prem I clubs will want to share any toys any time soon, the RFU and PRL won't work together, and all current prem clubs will want barriers to promotion.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2023, 04:35:01 PM »
The legends were clear first time round that they wouldn?t announce anything until there was something concrete to comment on. I think that?s the reason for the silence. Unfortunately it also probably means nothing is happening.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2023, 05:03:22 PM »
Totally baseless, but I would expect any movement to be a matter of months, minimum.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2023, 05:03:39 PM »
I would normally agree that if you have nothing to say, then keep quiet.
But on that basis we may hear nothing till the fag end of next season when (if!!) the prem 1 & 2 plan gets announced.

There might not be many Wasps fans left to communicate with at that point if they don't start engaging soon.....