Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Future  (Read 19571 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2023, 03:46:22 PM »
Sorry if it came across as a criticism James, it wasn't meant to be. I'm usually one of the quickest to condemn the North London lot and know how quickly a thread can succumb to our natural desire to vent when they come up.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2023, 03:48:30 PM »
@NWW,

Good points. I was thinking more about what's in the control of the RFU/PRL should they ever get around to the fabled review of the game here.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2023, 04:01:33 PM »
@NWW,

Good points. I was thinking more about what's in the control of the RFU/PRL should they ever get around to the fabled review of the game here.

I understood that, but I think a lot of the problem is on the pitch, in the way the laws encourage coaches to coach, and players to play. No point of getting the 'leadership' sorted if what they are in charge of is broken.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2023, 04:44:36 PM »
This started on Wasps (non)future but morphed into English rugby - hohum. Almost the same shit hole I suppose.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2023, 04:55:49 PM »
If anyone was not already doing so, it now appears we can ignore Pudsey tweets. Last one spoke of two weeks (long since passed) and keep a look out.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2023, 11:13:52 PM »
Perhaps he was forecasting that Farrell would be up in front of the Beak.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2023, 09:45:16 AM »
This started on Wasps (non)future but morphed into English rugby - hohum. Almost the same shit hole I suppose.

Indeed. Despite most people on this board professing that they are not interested in pro rugby anymore & England are putting them off the international game etc etc, we have multiple threads about how bad England are & the one Wasps related thread ends up all about how bad England are as well!!
I also find the pavlovian response to the mention of Farrells name amusing, but I guess with no Wasps related news forthcoming, it's inevitable.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2023, 10:42:49 AM »
For Wasps to come back a sustainable English structure needs to be put in place. These are intrinsically linked, one cannot happen without the other. The finances of England, as well as their organisational capability are germane to a Wasps future thread. Not only in a 'no England, no prem' simplistic way, but at a less superficial level of producing incremental growth in the numbers watching the club game needed for a twenty pro team system.

How England are playing might be tangential, but even  then, the numbers of paying customers attracted to the game is going to be influenced in a small way by national sucess.

Even the existence of a cap, and the ongoing issues surrounding adherence to it is relevant to a Wasp future thread. These are fundamental issues. Wasps will probably evanesce. We know that is almost certain without structural change. The few indicators we have that point to a different outcome in a prem 1/2 system beg the question as to what is needed for Wasps to exist in that system.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2023, 11:05:27 PM »
Highlighted in Facebook?

?As an aside, we have also been informed that there has been interest from a former owner of Wasps RFC in buying Sixways with the intention of trying to run a URC franchise at the stadium.?

https://www.wwst.co.uk/post/atlas-not-the-only-option

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2023, 08:37:52 AM »
Highlighted in Facebook?

?As an aside, we have also been informed that there has been interest from a former owner of Wasps RFC in buying Sixways with the intention of trying to run a URC franchise at the stadium.?

https://www.wwst.co.uk/post/atlas-not-the-only-option

Saw this too. Interesting. I'm assuming CH is the "former owner".

The URC angle is intriguing. I seem to remember one of the Wasps announcements just after admin saying something like (I paraphrase) "we'll be back, but it might not be under the RFU". Can't find the exact piece I'm thinking of though.

Might be a merger with one of the ailing Welsh regions being floated? Worcester is close-ish to the border!

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2023, 09:24:10 AM »

The URC angle is intriguing. I seem to remember one of the Wasps announcements just after admin saying something like (I paraphrase) "we'll be back, but it might not be under the RFU". Can't find the exact piece I'm thinking of though.

That was what my mind went to. It was a club statement on 18 May headlined 'Our exit from the Rugby Football Union'.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2023, 09:42:03 AM »

That was what my mind went to. It was a club statement on 18 May headlined 'Our exit from the Rugby Football Union'.

+1

You got there as I was digging it out.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2023, 10:27:25 AM »

Exactly that. Well played. Better memory skills than mine, clearly.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2023, 06:05:20 PM »
Would that mean that anyone who plays for such a club might not be eligible to play for England?

At the moment I can see that as being an advantage but...

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2023, 06:47:51 PM »
The RFU and iRFU will do everything they can to prevent territorial incursions by other tournaments and leagues. If your ground is in England, you WILL be subject to the RFU and will NOT be allowed to play in any competition not approved by them for English to compete in. Total territorial monopoly is what they currently hold, and, short of governmental action (unlikely as it is the same old boys club) that will not change, ever.

Any player (including academy players) moving outside that system would be a pariah, as would the club, and any sponsor of that club.