Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Future  (Read 19414 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2023, 07:57:08 PM »
It is indeed 999 years. I have posted on the WW SN site thread if you want a few more details on the  leasehold and freehold.
 Not a huge amount of point in repeating, but sum up is watch this space, there is a protective search from Sept 12 on the 999 year leasehold, normally made in expectation of a sale in the next few weeks.

There is also a charge against sport England (i.e. money is owed to them).

Oh, and you won't see any underlease at 5 years on HMLR's radar- the minumum is seven for it it be registered.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2023, 10:21:06 AM »
Given that Chris Holland now appears to own what?s left of Warriors as well as what?s left of Wasps, I think the future options have now been whittled down?

1.   Wasps (& probably Warriors & Irish) are gone, never to be seen again
2.   Wasps re-emerge as a ?Franchise? in ?Prem 2? playing at Sixways, either as part of a merged Wasp/Warriors or as a stand alone club. (this whole prem 1 & 2 idea needs crystallising & communicating asap but with the RFU busy arguing amongst themselves or at the RWC that doesn?t look like its going to happen soon!)

So the question I would ask is, how many people would support such a  team, either merged or not?
How ?Wasps? is it really going to be? I guess that would depend on who manages, coaches & plays for it, but you would not expect many ex Wasp players or coaches who are still Prem or Champ quality to want to be involved.
Will just having an ex wasp coach or a few older ex players in the squad make it Wasps enough?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2023, 11:41:32 AM »
It would be good if there were a few ex-Wasps involved somehow, but it (any squad members, backroom support etc) would presumably mean the whole caboodle starting from the ground upwards, which in turn would mean a totally new squad  from all over everywhere.   A completely new entity.  Would that matter?  In my view, no,  Why should it?  It would be a completely new club anyway. What you would need (apart from the obvious) is one helluva good talent spotter. It would be a completely fresh start.  Allez Wussps.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2023, 12:15:24 PM »
It would be great to get someone of Joe Launchbury?s standing involved to help with the building of the Wasps ethos, but not essential for my support.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2023, 01:00:15 PM »
I echo above, it would be great if a resurrected Wasps Rugby club had strong links to ex players and coaches but it wouldn't stop me being a supporter if all the staff were new and had no previous links to the club.

I'd be far happier if it wasn't a merged club though.

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2023, 01:35:08 PM »
It has always been my understanding that working alongside Chris Holland, there has been the likes of Scrivs, Kenny Logan, Chris Braithwaite and others with the potential for negotiating different levels of investment depending on what the RFU "allow" or the "powers that be" come up with in terms of "Prem 2" and pathways within the league structures going forward.
Understandably no one will commit any significant levels of longer term investment into a new club/company until they know what this looks like for their survival or progression.
The current RFU debacle and some negative feeling around some "issues" with the World Cup doesn't exactly make that position any easier right now.
There is also the "legal cloud" of the concussion issues surrounding the whole game as well that could potentially cause some "institutional" investors/sponsors to be very cautious about getting involved at this moment in time until that starts to get "resolved" in some way?
All in all, lots of things to start getting resolved before we will have a team to watch and cheer on once again, but hopefully we will get there.
Given the time that has elapsed, I'd rather wait and be as sure as possible that there is a good future to look forward to for everyone concerned be they investors, sponsors, fans, players, coaches and all the support staff.
I have really missed the week to week involvement and excitement with Wasps, but sort of got used to it now and can't find any interest or feeling with any other games really.
I'm pleased to read about our "old" players and coaches doing well, but still hope that we will come back and I can hopefully get that enjoyment (and frustration!) back again as it was great to be a part of it. :)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2023, 01:56:08 PM »
Speaking for myself, and not criticising anyone else, I am not sure how I am going to feel if a rugby club emerges under a Wasps banner that has nothing to do with the old Wasps. Is the name & the badge enough to make that team "Wasps"?
I really don't know

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2023, 02:29:26 PM »
The way I look at it, none of the players and coaches who were at the club when I started following them at Adam?s Park were there when they folded last year, but I was still a supporter, so what?s the difference? I said, for me it?s about ethos and much as I appreciate former Wasps stars being involved at the management level I?d still like a bit of continuity on the training ground if not the pitch but not a deal breaker. 

If after a couple of years it?s obvious the ethos hasn?t continued then I?d probably just being interested. 

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2023, 02:37:09 PM »
If (big 'if') we did become reborn at  Sixways I feel, maybe naively, that it has to include Wuss in part.  It was, after all, their home, and understandably they may well resent anyone else who would be seen as intruders. The support of local people is vital in so many respects. It was/is their ground. Wuss supporters and ex-personnel should be included.  After all this time I have come to think that it has to be an amalgam of the two (three?) Clubs, working together in unity  -  which could perhaps be extremely difficult and lengthy but hopefully not impossible.  Time alone would tell.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2023, 02:59:33 PM »
Speaking for myself, and not criticising anyone else, I am not sure how I am going to feel if a rugby club emerges under a Wasps banner that has nothing to do with the old Wasps. Is the name & the badge enough to make that team "Wasps"?
I really don't know

There's a similar uncertainty in our household about Wasps coming back without a clear connection to our time as Supporters.

Semi-related to this, we're looking at what Pau games could we get to and combine with a weekend away somewhere to watch ex-Wasps players play.  Treviso is an obvious candidate, Toulouse is probably difficult to get Home Game tickets for.  Figuring Pau might be a good one to target as well.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2023, 05:42:41 PM »
Don't know.
Honestly, Wasps should really be in a permanent home. That for me is key. Not sure I want to be part of supporting an entity that fails to punish cheating like the prem.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2023, 07:51:06 PM »
If (big 'if') we did become reborn at  Sixways I feel, maybe naively, that it has to include Wuss in part.  It was, after all, their home, and understandably they may well resent anyone else who would be seen as intruders. The support of local people is vital in so many respects. It was/is their ground. Wuss supporters and ex-personnel should be included.  After all this time I have come to think that it has to be an amalgam of the two (three?) Clubs, working together in unity  -  which could perhaps be extremely difficult and lengthy but hopefully not impossible.  Time alone would tell.
Good point. I have a very good friend who lives there part time and his family were big Wuss fans, although he?s a Sale supporter. I was at our last game there with home and met his uncle and cousin who?ve been long time STH and they were distraught at what they were going through. I?m not convinced there?d turn up to watch Wasps.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2023, 08:33:39 PM »
Is it possible for 2 clubs to play at the same ground in the same competition? Could be that both Wasps and WW play at sixways in Prem 2. The pitch would take a beating

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2023, 09:05:12 PM »
Is it possible for 2 clubs to play at the same ground in the same competition? Could be that both Wasps and WW play at sixways in Prem 2. The pitch would take a beating

Thought the pitch was artificial? So not a problem. Guess it would come down to attendances/ economics if risking paying 2 lots of salaries or one

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2023, 11:00:10 PM »

It happens in the Championship: London Scottish and Richmond share a ground.