Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Farrell cleared  (Read 6373 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Farrell cleared
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2023, 05:53:15 PM »
I suspect this is gamesmanship from the Aussies! England looked marginally less predictable with Ford.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2023, 06:19:20 PM »
Certainly enhances their chances if England stick with Farrell, though it won't matter- the coach is the wrong man.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2023, 06:35:45 PM »
Shamelessly nicked from Shedweb. Credit to MarcusRann for posting.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2023, 06:52:11 PM »
That?s Englands best chance gone

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2023, 08:21:48 PM »
An interesting article with comments from three rugby journalists. The point about England being able to roll out high powered legal support unlike minor nations is well made.

'I'm really not sure where rugby goes from here': Mail Sport's writers give their verdict on the 'o? https://mol.im/a/12410081 via https://dailym.ai/android
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2023, 09:08:52 PM »
We can add Kevin Sinfield's name to the list of rugby league tw@ts who should, as Lee Anderson might suggest **** off back where they came from too based on his Farrell / Beckham comparisons. Beckham was one of the best in the world, Kevin. Farrell isn't one of the best in England.

Sadly the one RL coach who has really done something in the game is English and has never coached England.
I won't bother to link the story, if you want to see a story about how hard done by Farrell is in the eyes of Kevin it's all out there.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 11:19:13 PM by westwaleswasp »

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2023, 07:00:30 AM »
We can add Kevin Sinfield's name to the list of rugby league tw@ts who should, as Lee Anderson might suggest **** off back where they came from too based on his Farrell / Beckham comparisons. Beckham was one of the best in the world, Kevin. Farrell isn't one of the best in England.

Sadly the one RL coach who has really done something in the game is English and has never coached England.
I won't bother to link the story, if you want to see a story about how hard done by Farrell is in the eyes of Kevin it's all out there.
Unfortunately add Shaun Edwards name to the long list of thick.
https://mol.im/a/12409835

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2023, 07:41:25 AM »
Farrell shall now be known as St Owen of the High Tackle having pulled off the miracle of having his red card rescinded.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2023, 08:35:23 AM »
I think one of the big differences here is that England actually challenged the decision to issue the red card.

Normally the player / union will plead guilty and the punishment will be reduced as a result; challenging the issuance of the card itself is very rare as you run the risk of an increased ban.

It look like, in this case, England decided the likely ban would be 4-5 games, and the risk of an additional one was worth the risk of rolling the dice and challenging the red card.

Couple that with expensive legal representation and a panel possibly inclined to lenience anyway and it becomes feasible.

NB. I'm not defending the approach - it was a red card all day long.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2023, 09:32:19 AM »
I've never really worked out what the problem is with Farrell. But on the surface there seems two issues - but they might be linked by "entitlement".....

This tackle was a red all day long, the tackled player didn't dip and if anything, was saved from a full on shoulder tackle to the head by any movement. But Farrell didn't even attempt to do any of the things that are required by a legal tackle.....And looking at the vid seemed bang to rights, not wrapping or getting lower and looking to "impose" on the tackled player.

The connection is with my view of Farrell (Wasps-centric view of course) when he laid out Charlie. That seemed more because he'd been made to look a little pedestrian perhaps? And didn't like it.....And that level of entitlement is what seems to drive him to "tackle how I want to" and to "smack a youngster"....

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2023, 10:05:59 AM »
Horrible horrible creature.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2023, 10:17:44 AM »

Don't know if you have read Sinfields otherwise excellent book but his view, while acknowledging potential head injuries, has always been that collisions are a foreseeable risk and shouldn't be removed otherwise the game isn't the game

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2023, 11:04:12 AM »
Just watched George Moala's tip tackle that earned him 5 weeks. The management of the game is all over the place.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2023, 01:54:22 PM »
There are some very unhappy Pacific Islanders who feel they are unjustly treated in comparison. That includes Malakai Fekitoa and Dan Leo.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2023, 02:10:12 PM »
There are some very unhappy Pacific Islanders who feel they are unjustly treated in comparison. That includes Malakai Fekitoa and Dan Leo.

And rightly so - can't afford to employ a KC to put their case.
Let me tell you something cucumber