Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Kent!  (Read 6810 times)

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Kent!
« on: October 23, 2023, 04:04:30 PM »
https://wasps.co.uk/club-announcements/wasps-announces-plans-for-new-stadium-development-in-kent/

The club is actively engaged with Sevenoaks District Council to identify a suitable location and ensure that the development meets both the needs of the club and the broader community.

Building on the rich 156-year history of Wasps, this move signifies a new chapter in the club's journey, reaffirming its commitment to professional rugby. In a statement on 17 October the club discussed its strategic journey since October 2022. Having faced significant challenges with regulation and funding, the club has persisted with its determination to revive Wasps at the highest possible level.

As the development progresses through its planning stages, Wasps will be actively exploring temporary facilities to underpin its operations in Kent. Whilst determined to establish a base in the southeast of England, the club has also agreed an option of utilising Worcester Warriors? Sixways ground for both training and playing purposes, without in anyway replacing Worcester Warriors RFC and indeed committed to assisting their return to competitive rugby.

A Wasps spokesperson said: "The journey of Wasps has been one of passion, resilience, and commitment to the game. Our determination to secure a new, sustainable future for the club has never been stronger. By working with Sevenoaks District Council, we hope to build a long-lasting legacy that acknowledges our storied past and charts an ambitious future.

As a Cov Wasps fan, that's a hell of a trek for "home games"!

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Kent!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 04:05:38 PM »
Erm, not sure how I've managed to add this twice. Could someone adept at such things tidy one up?

Ta :)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 04:09:57 PM »
Gets my vote as I live 30 minutes away!
Keeps Warriors happy
Doesnt tread on the toes of any other prem or championship club.
Lots of rugby playing kids etc & local sides to tie up with.
Sounds like a winner on some levels, but the details will be key.
And teh obvious wheres the money coming form & what comp will they play in.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 04:12:13 PM »
Sevenoaks council:

Wasps Rugby Football Club stadium and training ground proposal
Wasps Rugby Football Club has put forward an early proposal for a new multi-use stadium, training ground and a hotel as part of our Local Plan ?Call for sites?.

The Local Plan sets out what could be built and where in the next 15 years and the ?Call for sites? identifies potential development sites that could be included in our new Local Plan.

The location of the proposed stadium, training ground and hotel is the Pedham Place area on the outskirts of Swanley, Kent.

You will have an opportunity to comment on Wasps? proposal (and all other 'Call for sites' proposals), at our next Local Plan consultation from 23 November 2023 to 11 January 2024 (this consultation is subject to Cabinet approval on 9 November 2023).

As a top tier Club, with an international profile, we believe this is a once in a generation opportunity. Wasps would bring unparalleled economic, sports development, health, education, skills and cultural benefits to the District and we are keen to explore how that could be achieved.

However, the public and partners will all need to have their say on Wasps? proposals before it could be considered for inclusion in the new Local Plan.

Wasps? proposals would also require planning permission, which again would give the public an opportunity to have their say and actively engage in the process.

For more information about the Wasps? proposal view our Development & Conservation Advisory Committee report or view our Questions and Answers.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 04:24:19 PM »
Well that really is a curved ball.

Obviously some work gone in. Just off Junction 3 of the M25 (I know it well as a foreign lorry driver totalled my car and nearly me a few years ago). Can't complain as can get there in under half an hour on a clear run plus still got my DartTag thingy.

If it works out I feel bloody upset about the fans attracted by the Coventry move. Really is a kick in the teeth.

Kent though is a good move with no Cheating clubs nearby but could have tried Essex first lads!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 04:38:05 PM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 04:27:16 PM »
Positive news to hear of a long term plan for Wasps' resurrection and pleased to see that consideration has been given to Warriors.

From a purely selfish perspective, it's a shame that the move will take Wasps' to the "wrong" side of London for me. I think this will rule me out of regularly attending home games in the longer term - I will probably need to consider attending the local(ish) home games instead (for the purpose of clarity, it's not gone unnoticed that many London-based fans had similar journeys to the Midlands during the Coventry era).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 04:29:39 PM by jamestaylor002 »

craigymace4

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 04:30:01 PM »
My money was on Oxford! Perhaps the EPIC will be sold to help finance the move as it wont serve its purpose for the club now. Not a bad market to tap into with not much in the way of Pro sport in Kent. Lots of amateur clubs in and around that area too!

Whilst it isn't a bad run for me (Guildford), I do feel for our Cov/Midlands family. Remember how we all felt when we went to Cov..

Nonetheless, hopefully another positive step in seeing our great club rise again! Once A Wasp!

NorthYorksWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 04:36:25 PM »
That?s me definitely done then!! 510 mile, 10+ hour round trip ain?t happening. Glad I enjoyed what I could of Wasps while I could. STH from early Adams Park days thro? to Cov inc. 325 mile, 7 hour drive when we moved to the Dales but can?t justify that sort of trip and expense. Will be sad if it does come to Sevenoaks but will wish all connected with Wasps the very best of luck.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2023, 04:39:51 PM »
Just reading the Council's forward policy and it looks like they have taken whatever proposals Wasps put forward into their 2040 year plan outline.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 04:43:34 PM by Neils »

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 04:51:42 PM »
I can understand the thinking and hope it goes well, but it will be nightmare journey for me and many others. I don't think I've ever got past the A3/M25 junction without at least a 30minute delay and last month it was over an hour.

It looks like they could start at Sixways so I'll have to make the most of that opportunity if it happens.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2023, 04:59:52 PM »
I moved from the ancestral home [Harrow] to Canterbury in January so good for me. 50 mins down the motorway. Accessible for most of Kent and SE London. I assume the academy region would move from Saracens to Wasps  :)

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 05:02:37 PM »
M40/M25 far worse than M40/A46. Have to look at rail options.

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2023, 05:11:03 PM »
If it works out I feel bloody upset about the fans attracted by the Coventry move. Really is a kick in the teeth.

2h from Oxon, too, eek...

...but not feeling too sorry for Cov right now, though - was right shocked to get an earful at Friday semi from a CRFC lad in row ahead who just couldn't let bygones rest. He wasn't there Saturday, though, hehe. Was flying the shirt and drew much better response from Stade Toulousain and other French fans, so not everyone hates us - COYW (even if in Kent, Essex, anywhere...)!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2023, 05:14:38 PM »
From the Council documents -

Wasps Rugby Football Club Proposal

When will the stadium be built?
Planning permission will first be needed. This is a matter for Wasps to consider.

How big is the proposed stadium?
24,000 to 28,000 seats.

What about transport issues in the area, the junction to the M25 is already busy?
Transport would be considered as part of the proposal, including new transport infrastructure, but
it?s too early to say what this could look like at this early stage.

Who owns Pedham Place Golf course?
The golf course is in private ownership and unfortunately we cannot share the details.

What is the planning status of Pedham Place?
The site is in the Green Belt and an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), it was agreed to
be a ?broad location for future growth? in the 2019 iteration of the emerging Local Plan.

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2023, 05:15:12 PM »
That?s me definitely done then!! 510 mile, 10+ hour round trip ain?t happening. Glad I enjoyed what I could of Wasps while I could. STH from early Adams Park days thro? to Cov inc. 325 mile, 7 hour drive when we moved to the Dales but can?t justify that sort of trip and expense. Will be sad if it does come to Sevenoaks but will wish all connected with Wasps the very best of luck.
Likewise. From mid Wales, Coventry was do-able (roughly 5hrs round trip) But any part of Kent is too long a journey in both time and distance. However if Sixways is initially used, then a easy jaunt fot Mrs FW and me.
But until the long term structure (including promotion and relegation) of prem2 / championship is certain, how can any club  plan?
Regardless, best wishes that Wasps can be resurrected not just in name but in playing style too