Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Kent!  (Read 6804 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Kent!
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2023, 08:46:04 AM »
For my family home match days were/are often a great get together and outing.  We met and made lots of friends  (Hi Steve and Sharon, Simon and Lynsey, and  many others) and were lucky enough to meet players and background staff (Hello  Smiler, Pudsey,   Derek and family,  JC, Tom, Guy, Nick, Ben, Matt, Danni, James  et al)  ...........  that's who we'll miss.  And the rugby.  Oh, the rugby!  Sill, whatever will be will be.  And may Wasps continue. 

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2023, 08:55:31 AM »
PS .....  and thank you,  Wasps,  (and Rob, plus Mark, Louise and family) for helping our borderline autistic g/son to learn how to react and behave in crowds and with strangers; you all helped so much. 

nuneaton wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2023, 09:32:00 AM »
this is just to keep the warriors fans happy when we are playing at their stadium for the next 10 years. it sounds more like CCFC and we are going to build a new stadium but don't have any money . the last few football stadiums that have been built look at the costs and time and are all over budget even sending contractors bust .
Wasps need someone with very deep pockets   

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2023, 09:35:30 AM »
If this happens its going to be a very long way away & depends on a tournament structure & investment that currently don't exist.
It does seem like a genuine attempt to make a move that will work, make new fans while still being close enough to at least some of their original fans. I do feel for those from west London, High Wycombe & Coventry.
The Council seem relatively on side so far, but there will be a lot of work to do to make this happen & even more to make it work.

I am not counting any chickens at this point

Not sure about a quoted 24 - 28,000 seats, seems far too large for me. Make a small compact ground of 10-15,000 and make it a really intimidating place to play.
The term "multi-use" was also quoted. Can't think of any obvious other likely local users.
Access will be an issue. Thats a very busy junction at the best of times & takes the traffic for Brand Hatch. Not really walk-able from any public transport at present although a shuttle bus from Swanley, Sevenoaks or Ebsfleet would be options.

"At last Beckenham Bandit will be happy" sadly every silver lining has to have a cloud attached!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2023, 10:43:13 AM »
I think there is a huge cloud over the whole sport financially. The world over players are paid more than clubs can afford. The All Blacks haven't a pit to piss in, financially broke, too many players. It is all in the report.
We know what is responsible- or irresponsible- it's the minority of deep pocketed owners in a couple of countries paying wages that have no resemblance to what is coming in, and others paying to keep up. Look what it has got us.

Those issues are coming home to roost and we don't have a structure for this new home. Does anyone see a viable structure? I don't. I can see another club going under. We are trying to build a stadium on sand. I don't doubt it is possible to build one, but, and it is a huge but, without the structure in place it won't get going.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2023, 11:19:56 AM »
I know it?s a very personal thing but I can?t see the direct correlation between not being able to attend matches and not following Wasps. I quite understand that the live matchday experience is great but there is a lot around that and, as others have said, there are away games and TV.

+1 people manage to support Premier League football teams from the other side of the world without ever realistically having the chance to see them live. Each to their own though.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2023, 12:17:28 PM »
I know it?s a very personal thing but I can?t see the direct correlation between not being able to attend matches and not following Wasps. I quite understand that the live matchday experience is great but there is a lot around that and, as others have said, there are away games and TV.

+1 people manage to support Premier League football teams from the other side of the world without ever realistically having the chance to see them live. Each to their own though.
Don?t think anyone is saying they are going to stop following wasps if the new ground is in Kent, just that it?s not viable to attend home matches. I know for sure my son will still want the new kits and to go to games at Northampton, Leicester etc. just a shame most of our money will end up funding other clubs

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2023, 12:27:26 PM »
Having been season ticket holders for the Coventry duration we have decided to support the club from afar. Travelling to home games in Kent is unrealistic.

We both fell in love with the club from the outset and enjoyed some fabulous away trips both home and abroad.

We hope the club survives and prospers and look forward to seeing them get back to the top.

For me - I?m unable to support another Premiership club or Cov but wish all our former players well.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2023, 01:35:37 PM »

[/quote]
Don?t think anyone is saying they are going to stop following wasps if the new ground is in Kent,

It looks suspiciously like those that have said "I'm done" do intend to stop following Wasps.

That of course is their prerogative but I think it's strange that there's lots of supporters from my town in North Oxfordshire who travel up
in their cars or on the train to watch Liverpool which is 30 miles further than the proposed ground and Manchester which is 20 miles further.

To put it into perspective I rode on a train to Amsterdam in June and last month rode down to Barcelona via Marseilles on a Vespa Scooter
so I'm hardly going to be put off by a 115 mile 2 hour ride/drive to Kent.

No I won't get a season ticket like I probably would if we had a ground in North Oxford but home games would be cherry picked and it would be special days out and the odd hotel stay.

Great news that the club has these ambitions and we will get to see the team again as looks likely.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2023, 02:46:49 PM »
I travelled from Kent to Loftus Road and then from Kent to High Wycombe.  I then travelled from Kent to virtually all the Coventry games where I had a season ticket throughout their stay there.  It meant so much to me I did this.  If they were back in Coventry or Worcester I would do the same again.  Where there's a will there's a way, I guess, although i sympathise with the guy from Yorkshire which might make it too much for him.  Come back anywhere for me, Wasps.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2023, 02:49:44 PM »
I travelled from Kent to Loftus Road and then from Kent to High Wycombe.  I then travelled from Kent to virtually all the Coventry games where I had a season ticket throughout their stay there.  It meant so much to me I did this.  If they were back in Coventry or Worcester I would do the same again.  Where there's a will there's a way, I guess, although i sympathise with the guy from Yorkshire which might make it too much for him.  Come back anywhere for me, Wasps.

NorthYorksWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2023, 03:17:15 PM »
I will always be a Wasps supporter, could not change even though Sale and Falcons are nearer than any other club. If Sixways happens for a few years then that is doable as it?s no worse than home to Cov was and we would make the trip regularly. Kent in 5/6 years time is simply unrealistic though. Still wouldn?t stop me supporting from afar and possibly making matches at Sale/Falcons if they happen. Once a Wasp always a Wasp.

DanJester

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2023, 03:54:31 PM »
This is so much nearer for me (West London) that actually being able to get to a Wasps game in a little over 90mins is a huge relief.

Coventry cut me off from the club in a lot of ways, as I was unwilling to spend the min. 7 hrs travel to get to a home game, and back again.

As a result, I totally sympathise with anyone who now feels that the reborn club will be too far for them to follow in person. Hopefully see some of you at away games where possible.

Equally, this is a very bold plan, and I would not be too shocked if it changes drastically between now and actual realisation. Wasps aren't back. Yet. But the intent does seem to be there, and the right noises are being made.

DanJester

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2023, 03:55:09 PM »
This is so much nearer for me (West London) that actually being able to get to a Wasps game in a little over 90mins is a huge relief.

Coventry cut me off from the club in a lot of ways, as I was unwilling to spend the min. 7 hrs travel to get to a home game, and back again.

As a result, I totally sympathise with anyone who now feels that the reborn club will be too far for them to follow in person. Hopefully see some of you at away games where possible.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2023, 03:55:43 PM »
IF Wasps was at Wuss for a few years  Mr WW and I could just about manage to get there, but after that age and  debility (or worse!) will kick in and probably any travelling anywhere at all will out of the question!!  But we could sit on a black and gold settee, and mutter and watch Wasps on TV, and say ''I remember when .............  etc''