Always a Wasp

Author Topic: WR and head contact  (Read 1507 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
WR and head contact
« on: November 03, 2023, 02:39:28 PM »
I had an interesting discussion with a couple of rugby pals this week - one a Kiwi, the other Welsh.

The discussion focused on the controversy surrounding contact to the head.

We all agreed that the current dictate from WR is ruining the game. The focus should be on intent and outcome. Accidental collisions are being interpreted in a ludicrous manner and the constant replays get the crowds at the game baying for red cards. The bunker system is a joke. The referee and the two ARs should have a discussion and guide the TMO accordingly.

If it continues in the current manner, then rugby as we know it, will be dead and buried in 10 years time.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: WR and head contact
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 05:21:31 PM »
Not sure the last sentence is the best choice of words given the potential long term effects of head contacts.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 06:02:45 PM »
I'm not sure you can sanction on the basis of intent. How do you determine intent?

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 07:04:00 PM »
I don't like the current protocol of identifying head contact as an automatic penalty. If a ball carrier runs into a stationary defender's head it should not even be a penalty.

Recklessness can be more easily identified than intent. Players have a duty to develop techniques to avoid head contact (tacklers and ball carriers). The taller you are the more relevant it becomes. If you display reasonable technique and there's indirect contact to head it is obviously an accident.

High force, direct contact with head and no lowering of tackle height should be a red card all day. If there's an attempt to lower height or ball carrier charges height suddenly then yellow.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 09:03:14 PM »
There was a match in the WC where head contact happened and it was not deemed foul play. Iirc Wales were in it, Dickson the ref Arg the opposition. Head contact, no foul play.
So I am not sure it automatically is foul play.....

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 02:52:22 PM »
Now you?ll struggle to find many fans of Owen Farrell on this board but I thought that the Bok forearm smashing him in the head that wasn?t even a penalty made a mockery of World Rugby?s so-called aim of protecting players. The guy was running at pace and made no attempt to make safe contact but apparently it?s ok because he was carrying a ball. Ludicrous. The only legal arm to head contact is supposed to be a hand-off which must be a straight arm and flat hand.

Yes, it?s ironic it was Farrell with his history of high tackles but it doesn?t make it acceptable.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2023, 05:25:01 PM »
Agree totally.