Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ugo racist abuse  (Read 1722 times)

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Ugo racist abuse
« on: November 20, 2023, 08:30:09 AM »
Just been reading about the abuse aimed at Ugo at Sandy Park yesterday, he posted the 2 things on Twitter.

Ugo Monye
@ugomonye

Leaving Sandy Park and one supporter running through crowd starts shouting ?Nigga, Nigga?? disgraceful.

Not a single person said a word, challenged or even reported it.

Ugo Monye
@ugomonye
He walks off after a mild scuffle and fans are now telling me ?We?re with you? BOLLOCKS you?re with me. You weren?t with me when you saw and heard the most blatant racism I?ve seen from a supporter at a live game. So fed up

The fact this still happens is unbelievable, Ugo also pretty unhappy that no-one reacted or said anything at the time, I can understand his frustration, but he does say after a scuffle, so did someone react, that bit was unclear for me.

If it was going to happen anywhere is anyone surprised it was at Chiefs?
Reading some of the comments and responses people still really don't get what racism is. Inevitably when Chiefs posted that they would investigate and this was unacceptable, with loads of fans saying the same, someone raised the 'tomahawk chop', followed by loads of Chiefs fans saying that's not racist! Having not watched any prem rugby since Wasps demise I have no idea if it's still sung regularly or not or if it's piped through the PA like it used to be, but it's not a great look.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ugo racist abuse
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 11:21:44 AM »
Not something you want to hear about at a rugby match.

Would like to know the full story though. We met Ugo away in Europe a couple times and he was very very opinionated (his now job?) and was not pleasant to try to chat to. Gave him a second chance and all our party agreed avoid in future. But as I said not the kind of language you would expect.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 12:52:30 PM »
Well, I've always thought that Ugo was a bit of a prat but that has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for racial abuse. What I find most disturbing is the claim that there were plenty of on lookers who did nothing. In the old days, rugby was always excellent at self regulating, one idiot has a few too many beers and starts abuse and he would be quickly and efficiently "dealt with" by other supporters regardless of which team they were following.

The online abuse that World Cup referees and apparently Owen Farrell have been receiving is shocking. I turned to rugby to get away from the moronic behaviour that I witnessed at soccer matches, now rugby is heading down the same path. You won't find many Farrell fans on here but if he feels that he has to step away from international rugby it's clearly gone way too far. Death threats? Seriously? I know these are pathetic keyboard warriors who wouldn't dream of saying this stuff to a persons face but it's inexcusable. Really hope that with present technology they can track the IP addresses of the computers used to post these vile messages and the perpetrators are named and shamed. Clearly they're that stupid they're not going to be smart enough to cover their on line tracks.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 03:30:27 PM »
Well, I've always thought that Ugo was a bit of a prat but that has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for racial abuse. What I find most disturbing is the claim that there were plenty of on lookers who did nothing. In the old days, rugby was always excellent at self regulating, one idiot has a few too many beers and starts abuse and he would be quickly and efficiently "dealt with" by other supporters regardless of which team they were following.

The online abuse that World Cup referees and apparently Owen Farrell have been receiving is shocking. I turned to rugby to get away from the moronic behaviour that I witnessed at soccer matches, now rugby is heading down the same path. You won't find many Farrell fans on here but if he feels that he has to step away from international rugby it's clearly gone way too far. Death threats? Seriously? I know these are pathetic keyboard warriors who wouldn't dream of saying this stuff to a persons face but it's inexcusable. Really hope that with present technology they can track the IP addresses of the computers used to post these vile messages and the perpetrators are named and shamed. Clearly they're that stupid they're not going to be smart enough to cover their on line tracks.
Some reports have referred to how shocking it was that Farrell was booed. Online abuse is not acceptable, but supporters should be entitled to boo.
McCall said that mainstream media have created a narrative, followed by a social media pile on.
It is garbage to suggest the media have it in for him. He played poorly for a couple of seasons, kept getting picked and the actions that were scrutinised was him almost getting away scot free with a clear and blatant red that WR had to step in and appeal. Of course the media will point to his previous high tackles.
Social media is a problem, but the interview yesterday seemed to be more about how the media should stop picking on him. In which case, bollocks.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 03:59:51 PM »
Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!