General Category > Wasps Rugby Discussion

2023/24 season

(1/4) > >>

andermt:
Was surprised there was no season thread but as none of us are really interested it probably makes sense.

I happened to look on the BBC site this morning and there was the report on Falcons losing again, so wondered what the table was, and the league is 8 matches in, so almost at the halfway point of the season already, whilst everyone understands there are 3 missing clubs and what it meant for a reduced league this year it was definitely interesting to realise just how reduced.
In 2021/22 we were 10 rounds in at this point out of 26.

As for Falcons, 8 matches played, 8 losses, and only 4 bonus points, it's almost like the London Welsh year. Looking on Wiki it mentions a Prem vs Championship playoff (depending on Champ club eligibility) is this right, that had passed me by if it is?
But assume anyone winning the Champ will be rejected anyway, as usual.

RogerE:
Yes the Premiership are keeping to their 10K ground capacity rule - which is a joke as the far more popular Premier League only require a 5.5K capacity ground.

Rossm:
This thread prompted me to look at the table for the first time this season. Already looking grim for Falcons. Glos not a lot better. Poll on Shedweb (600+ votes), a coin toss whether Skivington should go or stay. Is relegation still on hold this season?

DGP Wasp:
Just had a look at the table, and spotted a remarkable stat. Only 3 out of 10 teams with negative points difference: the bottom 2 and, bizarrely the league leaders.

NellyWellyWaspy:

--- Quote from: andermt on December 04, 2023, 07:48:27 AM ---As for Falcons, 8 matches played, 8 losses, and only 4 bonus points, it's almost like the London Welsh year. Looking on Wiki it mentions a Prem vs Championship playoff (depending on Champ club eligibility) is this right, that had passed me by if it is?

--- End quote ---

Grim reading for Falcons, and not much better for Glaws. There was a rumour last season that Falcons had asked to voluntarily be allowed to be relegated, but were refused. It was officially denied at the time.

At the end of this season, let's assume that they remain at the bottom, and let's assume (still far from a certainty) that Ealing top the Championship, and in the playoffs Ealing win, will the PRL waive its rules, or force Falcons to stay in the Premiership? At some point, the wheels will come off that bus, leaving only one club in the Premiership in the 'North'. What then of the 'national' game?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version