Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Worcester Update  (Read 2724 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Worcester Update
« on: February 14, 2024, 09:01:21 AM »
No Wasps update but an interesting read, would imagine some of the issues are the same, having a facility seems to have allowed more continuity of sorts.

https://www.wwst.co.uk/post/sixways-needs-worcester-warriors-worcester-warriors-need-sixways?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=blog.post-promoter&utm_campaign=87b0b59e-c4a6-4909-8207-78a7797e3b24

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester Update
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 09:54:41 AM »
Thanks Chunky. It sounds encouraging for Worcester Rugby supporters.

The game really needs Wuss, Wasps, London Irish (and Jersey).

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 11:47:18 AM »
It's very good to hear positive news about Wuss and, hopefully, their future.  Good luck to you Wuss  May it all turn out well for you.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 03:59:38 PM »
Whilst all very positive there's nothing really of substance in there. It all revolves around Prem 2 which has not progressed past the squabbling stages.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 05:56:41 PM »
Thanks Chunky. It sounds encouraging for Worcester Rugby supporters.

The game really needs Wuss, Wasps, London Irish (and Jersey).
The attitude of most remaining club fans is that it doesn't.
Moreover, stronger squads and 6n break all for the better, and a feeling that new clubs need to be formed and work their way up.

There is also a feeling that Wasps very much got what they deserved because we lack supporters- monumentally thick I know to assume that more fans through the gate could have wiped off the debts, and that it is fan engagement rather than debts/income/saleable assets that dictate survivability.
In short, by and large we are not wanted by fans of the more successful clubs.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 06:11:27 PM »
Fans of other clubs which I have spoken to have sympathy (the more intelligent understand that their club might be next!) but don't see why Wasps, of the others, should get any kind of special treatment, especially if it means established Champ clubs get relegated because they don't fit the franchise system, or don't want to. No one wants a franchise system where clubs get promoted or relegated on anything other than playing performance.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 06:17:31 PM »
Well our playing performance certainly didn't warrant relegation by 10 divisions.
Neither did Saracens' performance after they got (lightly) penalised for cheating.
Clearly playing performance on field doesn't just come into it, the four clubs that went bust did so for off field issues, not on field playing performance.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2024, 10:53:11 AM »
I think what fans of a lot of the other clubs don?t comprehend is that we?re not really calling for a leg up for Wasps, Irish or Wuss. What we?re saying is the game is in real peril. It?s beyond the parochial nuances of what?s right. It?s about the future of the game.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2024, 12:43:53 PM »
I think, especially with Tigers fans, there is an attitude that they don't mind two back, but not Wasps. The reaction when we went but was to talk about uncontested scrums, which says it all. There is a romantic notion that bankrupt clubs should start all over.
There is an even more blinkered view that they have done and Irish will be back having started at the bottom.
It is bullshit.

I am not just talking about venomous cretins who have been on at us for years on various message boards, either. The supposedly more moderate ones very much do not understand that Wasps had very large viewing figures, a result of the diaspora, which is why we had good coverage on TV.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 04:29:39 PM »
So how will Wuss get into Tier 2? Surely Wasps could groundshare - Chris effectively owns both clubs.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 09:47:16 AM »
Criteria for entry of any club into Prem 2, should it ever come off, are not entirely known at this point. (not exactly a surprise I know!)
Assume that any club will need finance of some description, with proof thats its real & agreed for a set period of time, a team & ground to play in. I think it will be safe to assume "Rugby Creditors" will be quietly forgotten about.
If Warriors can agree all of that, then I guess they will assured entry, just like Wasps & Irish, the noises coming from the RFU & PRL would seem to indicate that.
Prem 2 is not being welcomed by anyone so far so not sure how this is really going to pan out.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 10:55:19 PM »
Prem clubs have no interest in more competition, or in having the threat of relegation over them. But they do want more money.
Championship clubs don't want to commit money to be second fiddle to old pro clubs. But they too want money.
The rfu don't know what they want besides a bigger trough for themselves. And if they did know they wouldn't know how to get it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 07:15:50 AM by westwaleswasp »