Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps update February 2024  (Read 8587 times)

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps update February 2024
« on: February 26, 2024, 09:16:26 AM »
OUR JOURNEY UPDATE ? FEBRUARY 2024

Wasps continues its substantial efforts to return the men's and women's teams to the highest level possible of performance rugby. In October 2023 we outlined the 3 pillars that define our intent and our direction of travel. They are:

A competition entity
One that is fit for purpose and reflects the values that WASPS and others adhere to.

Sustainable finance
The cornerstone of our recovery relies on sustainable finance and a robust business plan that avoids a single point of failure.

A stadium in which to play
We have made substantial progress in the establishment of a suitable ground in which to play as we progress the planning for our new stadium.

What has changed?

We can now inform you that we have secured the core Sustainable finance and a Stadium in which to play. All we are waiting for is a competition to join that will allow us to compete at the highest level - and one that shares our values.

As we navigate through our most challenging period, this is a call to all of you who have shared this journey with us. Whatever entity we join will want to know the level of support we enjoy. By signing up to our new database, you're not just showing support; you're becoming a foundational part of our return.

Every sign-up is a step towards revival, a testament to the enduring legacy and the future potential of our club - your club. Be part of our story.

Please take two minutes to sign the pledge and share with your friends and family.

https://pledge.wasps.co.uk/

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:56:09 AM by COYW15 »

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps update February 2024
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 09:43:50 AM »
Three of us pledged.   Good luck and success to you Wasps.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 09:49:52 AM »
How'd you manage that Wonky? I click the button and it just directs to the same homepage, nothing happens.

Tried on Chrome and IE, both same.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 09:54:12 AM »
How'd you manage that Wonky? I click the button and it just directs to the same homepage, nothing happens.

Tried on Chrome and IE, both same.

+1 same.

Interesting that funding is in place. Assume the stadium in question is Sixways.

Remaining question is whether the revamped "Championship" is a suitable competition which would tick the boxes.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 10:03:03 AM »
Form was available on Phone web browser, so maybe something wrong with their webpage.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 10:26:48 AM »
I went in on Wasps Twitter,  Mr W used (I  think)   DWs, and daughter used Wasps  Twitter. Good luck gentlemen.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 10:29:21 AM »
So if that is to be taken at face value we have a stadium, and a way of financing a club that doesn't rely on Chris Holland but no competition to play in.

This raises a few questions.

Do we have a team?  Players? Coaches? Support staff?

Why do we not have a competition to play in?  Are we trying to force our way back to the top table and being told no?  If so why?

What competition options are there?

I guess if we keep the faith we'll find out in a couple more years.  ::)
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Hickmania23

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 11:08:56 AM »
I spoke to a person I know who has contacts inside at Worcester. He told me two separate people at Worcester said in past month URC is Wasps first choice, potentially taking a Welsh Franchise but RFU is fighting it to keep in new Prem structure. However some old friends in the Championship are fighting Wasps return there!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 12:10:29 PM »
It just told be I'd already signed the pledge.

Depending on your screen size you might have to scroll down if you follow the link in the email.

https://pledge.wasps.co.uk/?utm_source=pledgepage&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WASPS_Pledge

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 01:27:02 PM »
I spoke to a person I know who has contacts inside at Worcester. He told me two separate people at Worcester said in past month URC is Wasps first choice, potentially taking a Welsh Franchise but RFU is fighting it to keep in new Prem structure. However some old friends in the Championship are fighting Wasps return there!

Very good news that a stadium and finances are in place.

So the RFU want us in a newly formed Prem 2 but a significant number of Championship clubs will fight that and Wasps want to join the URC but the RFU are fighting that.

Interesting times.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 01:27:48 PM »
Win 10. Brave browser. Went straight to pledge which I signed.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 01:31:41 PM »
Had no problem signing pledge. However, if new stadium is in Kent the likelihood of me attending home matches is virtually nil.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 02:16:38 PM »
Pledge signed. However, as above, it said I'd already signed. Odd.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2024, 02:21:23 PM »
Same here, Garruda, but it might help keep Wasps alive .....  and kicking.  I'll probably have popped my clogs by then, but until then  maybe not.  So I'll just join the many far flung fans who love the club but can't get to see live matches.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2024, 04:09:54 PM »
Same here, Garruda, but it might help keep Wasps alive .....  and kicking.  I'll probably have popped my clogs by then, but until then  maybe not.  So I'll just join the many far flung fans who love the club but can't get to see live matches.

Wonky, a (probably apocryphal) story about Leopold Stokowski, the great conductor. His contract came up for renewal and he insisted on a 20 year extension - he was 95 :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!