Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps update February 2024  (Read 8574 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps update February 2024
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2024, 07:42:18 PM »
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the URC.  Although I could easily get to some away games if they were back in the Prem (Chiefs & Bath) I like the idea of the variety of the URC if I?m mainly watching on subscription TV.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2024, 08:48:14 PM »
All in favour of URC entry. However as I understand it it either needs a team to drop out or two new teams to wish to join.
Wasps would undoubtedly have a restraint of trade battle with the arrfyou if offered a place. Bring it on.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2024, 11:03:58 PM »
If a second team is needed, perhaps there?s an opportunity for Worcester, LI or even Jersey. Or perhaps all four of us.

As for grounds, I?m not sure the Den is in the right sort of area to host rugby matches. Perhaps Charlton is a better option if looking for alternatives along the railway lines heading out to Kent. They?ve even had a nomadic period in the not too distant past, so might be a kindred spirit.

Of course, there are other grounds in Greater London that have hosted rugby teams in the past.  The Stoop (over most of our dead bodies) and dear old (?) Loftus Road.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 11:06:16 PM by Skippy »

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2024, 05:26:59 AM »
If we have a new group of players, new coaches, new owners, a new stadium, new training facilities, and we play in a new competition what exactly is it that makes us Wasps?

We will have finally become exactly what the lovely folk in Coventry accused us of (wrongly) all those times.

Trigger's broom?
We had a period as a republic, but most of us don't think any less of the monarchy because of it and even republicans don't claim that break as their objection to the monarchy.

As I've said before, we do need some link to the previous incarnation. Lol appears to be involved but it would be nice to have a number of people on the coaching & playing side, but until they know which league they're in its hard to start building the squad.

I'd like to see the likes of Jimmy Gopperth, Joe Launchbury and Josh Bassett involved as they embody the Wasps spirit, as well as some of the former academy players if they can get hold of them.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2024, 10:13:54 AM »
While I understand the dislike of the prem I can't see why anyone would get excited by the URC. Wasps would be down the bottom of the table with the Welsh sides getting pumped every week plus away games will be a pain in the a*rse once the novelty has worn off.
For me, prem 2 or championship is where wasps should be.
I share the concern that is a wasps team with no wasp connections other than a badge actually wasps? But I will cross that bridge when /if we get there

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2024, 10:21:19 AM »
I agree with baldpaul101.

I just do not see the attraction of the URC, particularly as the alternative would seem to be Prem2 (not the Prem - at least not for a good few years).

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2024, 01:13:55 PM »
If we have a new group of players, new coaches, new owners, a new stadium, new training facilities, and we play in a new competition what exactly is it that makes us Wasps?

We will have finally become exactly what the lovely folk in Coventry accused us of (wrongly) all those times.

Trigger's broom?
We had a period as a republic, but most of us don't think any less of the monarchy because of it and even republicans don't claim that break as their objection to the monarchy.

As I've said before, we do need some link to the previous incarnation. Lol appears to be involved but it would be nice to have a number of people on the coaching & playing side, but until they know which league they're in its hard to start building the squad.

I'd like to see the likes of Jimmy Gopperth, Joe Launchbury and Josh Bassett involved as they embody the Wasps spirit, as well as some of the former academy players if they can get hold of them.

I was being a tad flippant, apologies. Even Trigger's broom had Trigger as a link to the past. The Wasps that recently folded had mostly only memories and the supporters as links to the Wasps of the early 2000s (different players, coaches and ground) yet it was somehow still the same team and worthy of a season ticket subscription and wandering around the country to watch too.

Sadly Kent might be too far for a lot of home matches with family considerations, won't stop us going to more-local away matches and having a viewing subscription if available.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2024, 03:08:13 PM »
WTF is Trigger's broom? I've heard of Occam's razor, Planck's constant, Pascal's wager and Pythagoras' theorem,  but just what has Roy Rogers and Trigger got to do with it?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2024, 03:32:35 PM »
Not an Only Fools and Horses fan then?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2024, 03:37:48 PM »
WTF is Trigger's broom? I've heard of Occam's razor, Planck's constant, Pascal's wager and Pythagoras' theorem,  but just what has Roy Rogers and Trigger got to do with it?
It?s like the apocryphal axe grandad had for years. It had only had 3 new handles and 2 new heads and was a great example of old school craftsmanship.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2024, 04:05:10 PM »
 :)   

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2024, 09:29:58 PM »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2024, 03:16:24 PM »
So if that is to be taken at face value we have a stadium, and a way of financing a club that doesn't rely on Chris Holland but no competition to play in.

This raises a few questions.

Do we have a team?  Players? Coaches? Support staff?

Why do we not have a competition to play in?  Are we trying to force our way back to the top table and being told no?  If so why?

What competition options are there?

I guess if we keep the faith we'll find out in a couple more years.  ::)

A few months there was a statement from within the new entity saying that there 237 players and 37 players avaiable.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2024, 03:18:10 PM »
Not forgetting Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, under which we all seem to be labouring at the moment.

Incidentally, Blaise Pascal - he of the first hand-held calculator fame - was a tax collector in, of all places, Castres.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 03:26:15 PM by St Bruno »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2024, 03:20:53 PM »