Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Alledged illegal clearout at a ruck by Eng  (Read 1537 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Alledged illegal clearout at a ruck by Eng
« on: March 10, 2024, 05:41:10 PM »
Irish on SM incensed by alledged illegal clearout by Eng that they claim should have been a straight red?

I watched the whole game quite closely. I did not see it neither did the Ref, ARef and the TMO.

Views of others on this?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Alledged illegal clearout at a ruck by Eng
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 05:58:55 PM »
Irish on SM incensed by alledged illegal clearout by Eng that they claim should have been a straight red?

I watched the whole game quite closely. I did not see it neither did the Ref, ARef and the TMO.

Views of others on this?

It was Genge on Furlong just over halfway through the first half. It should have been a red. At speed, shoulder directly to head, no attempt to bind.

Video here:

https://twitter.com/aj_d___/status/1766514145334100073

Commentators see what the ref 'sees', after being instructed by the TV bosses to never contradict the ref. For example, if the ref says it wasn't forward, the commentators will say 'That was just about a flat pass,' or some such nonsense.

I can sort of see why the commentators are overlooking so much, and why the TV execs don't replay. Money. And they don't want to discourage the refs. Let's face it, we have all played in games where the ref has made some howlers, but its the game.

EDIT: The video was taken down.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:02:18 AM by NellyWellyWaspy »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 11:17:50 PM »
If true it evens up the bullshit red England had in the reverse fixture last year that ruined the game. Last I looked trying to regather a ball that you have knocked on you had no right to be touching and running into a static defender wasn't a red, but hey ho, bad decisions happen.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 10:29:26 AM »
Commentators see what the ref 'sees', after being instructed by the TV bosses to never contradict the ref. For example, if the ref says it wasn't forward, the commentators will say 'That was just about a flat pass,' or some such nonsense.

You need to watch more rugby Nelly, the endless replaying of supposed "incidents" and questioning of the referee is getting tedious IMO

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 11:42:01 AM »
A few keyboard warriors have analysed the alledged incident frame by frame. Their view is that point of contact was shoulder to shoulder. Furlong came out of the ruck so fast that they reckoned he would get 9.5/10 for artistic impression!!!!

No case to answer. And that presumably that is how the TMO, with everything at their disposal, saw it.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 12:47:22 PM »
Got to be honest - looked like a red to me.

Regardless of whether it was or wasn't contact to head, charging in no-arms like that its still a really silly thing to do.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 04:33:23 PM by Garuda »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 07:48:47 AM »
Shoulder to shoulder for me. And let?s be honest Irish teams with O?Mahony in have got away with plenty in the recent past

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 08:01:23 AM »
Do they still use citing commissioners? If he hasn't raised it by now its a fair bet it was legal.

Didn't Genge do something similar in the last match but that was in to the back of one of his own players (Cole IIRC)?