Always a Wasp

Author Topic: So what do we think is happening?  (Read 1134 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
So what do we think is happening?
« on: April 03, 2024, 09:40:34 PM »
I applaud what those trying to save the club are doing and support the mantra in play that only concrete news will be passed on. But just as an indulgence by uninformed fans for uninformed fans , what do you think the outcome to this period of uncertainty and inactivity will be. Options in play for me appear to be 1) Nothing at all. 2) As a founder member of prem 2 or 3) As a radical new entrant to the URC. What do others think?

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: So what do we think is happening?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 12:12:14 AM »
Option 2 or 3.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 07:41:19 AM »
Wearing my cynic's hat ...  No. 1.     Living in hope,  2.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 08:50:58 AM »
No. 1

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 09:41:26 AM »
Can't see prem 2 going anywhere.
Can't see 28k stadium.
Might just see a Kent based Wasps team in the URC.
Looking most like 1, slight hint of 3.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 10:14:23 AM »
3 hopefully but still think 1 is most likely.  The RFU have no ability in anything.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 10:33:50 AM »
Preference would be for #3. New games, new opponents, new grounds to visit. Two fingers up to the RFU.

Without getting into the whole "what is Prem 2" thing (especially around P-shares for current Prem clubs etc) and whether the RFU want to emulate the successful French Top 14 / Pro D2 model (difference being they all have an equal say across all 30 clubs) and *if* it can be made to work then option #2 would be agreeable.

Realistically though? #1

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 12:13:02 PM »
I think the club has put too much time and effort for option 1 to happen.

I'd guess the RFU will put a big enough carrot or stick to the current championship sides to make option 2 happen

I think option 3 is less likely than option 2

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 02:33:16 PM »
I would rather 1 than 2, unless 2 actually has promotion, ensured, regardless of stadium.
It won't.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 04:23:52 PM »
I think a franchised prem 2 will happen, with or without all the Champ clubs being involved.
No idea whether that will have promotion to prem 1 or promotion from whatever is below prem 2, nor whether any promotion comes with non playing requirements like un-realistic stadia or other nonsense like how many social media followers you have!
When? can't see anything being in place for the 24-25 season given the current massive gulf between the PRL & Champonship.
Not sure I would want to actually be part of such a competition, but that will depend on the details which don't exist at the moment.
Equally I don't think I would want to be part of the URC either (no salary cap, no relegation/promotion, pretty unrealistsic away days, dubious quality & no England players in the team) and I am not sure that would ever happen anyway either.
As for a 28k stadium in Kent & sustainable finance etc, sorry, but in the absence of a competition to play in I can't believe any of that is going to happen either.
So option 1 seems the likeliest outcome IMO.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 04:45:20 PM »
In any scenario I reckon that a 28k stadium is more than a bit optimistic. 18k more like.  On a good day.  With no rain.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 05:06:26 PM »
In any scenario I reckon that a 28k stadium is more than a bit optimistic. 18k more like.  On a good day.  With no rain.

It was rare at the Ricoh if they got over 20k, even with all the free tix. If not in the actual Prem 1, I can't see anything more than about 15k being needed.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2024, 09:17:33 PM »
The only way Prem 2 is going to come about is if they are guaranteed unrestricted promotion rights, who in their right mights would take the financial risk otherwise.

With all the Prem clubs losing money already does anyone believe they?ll vote for a Prem 2 that not only has unrestricted promotion rights but whose members are treated as equals when it comes to organising the professional game?

Unless some serious banging of heads together takes place the slow motion car crash that is top tier rugby in England will continue and probably accelerate.

For that reason I see 1 most likely, a glimmer of hope in 3 and approaching zero chance of 2.