Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up  (Read 3550 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Teams Up
« on: February 14, 2019, 12:02:28 PM »
15 Willie Le Roux (46)
14 Michele Campagnaro (6)
13 Juan de Jongh (39)
12 Gaby Lovobalavu (25)
11 Josh Bassett (95)
10 Billy Searle (12)
9 Dan Robson (95)
1 Zurabi Zhvania (16)
2 Tom Cruse (53)
3 Will Stuart (26)
4 Will Rowlands (66)
5 James Gaskell (100)
6 Ashley Johnson (c) (177)
7 Thomas Young (102)
8 Nizaam Carr (27)

Replacements
16 Tommy Taylor (42)
17 Ben Harris (38)
18 Simon McIntyre (153)
19 Kearnan Myall (131)
20 Ben Morris (12)
21 Joe Simpson (248)
22 Lima Sopoaga (18)
23 Rob Miller (95)

Dan Robson, Thomas Young and Michele Campagnaro have all returned from international duty to feature for Wasps in their Round 13 Gallagher Premiership clash with Bristol Bears at Ashton Gate on Friday (kick-off 7.45pm).

Robson, who made his Test debut off the bench for England in Sunday’s win over France, starts at scrum half while Young, who impressed in Wales’ win over Italy, starts in the back row.

Campagnaro returns from Italy duty to feature on the wing, with Wasps top try-scorer Josh Bassett on the opposite flank, as he looks to build on his impressive ten tries so far in this campaign.

Springbok Willie Le Roux starts at full back while Juan de Jongh is joined by Gaby Lovobalavu in the centres. Billy Searle joins Robson in the half-back combination.

The pack sees Will Stuart starting at tighthead after a wrist injury keeps Jake Cooper-Woolley sidelined, and the young prop is joined by Georgia international Zurabi Zhvania and Tom Cruse in the front row.

Will Rowlands and James Gaskell occupy the second row while Ashley Johnson skippers the side from the back row next to Young and Nizaam Carr.

Simon McIntyre returns after three months out with concussion and is named as tighthead replacement.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “There’s been lots of positive talk around the place recently and the way the boys have trained has been excellent.

“We know where we are, the same as nine other teams in the league. We know these upcoming four games will take a big bearing on where we are come the end of the season.

“It’s about accumulating how many points you can in these four games, so then in the next block you have a chance at fighting for the top four.

“Everyone is looking forward to the Bristol game. It’s going to be a tough game and we know that they are a dangerous team.”
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »
Billy starts against his old club! Dan, Thomas Young and Campo all start. Lima on the bench.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 12:17:58 PM »
And the oppo:  15. Luke Daniels; 14. Ryan Edwards, 13. Piers O’Conor, 12. Siale Piutau (co-capt), 11. Alapati Leiua; 10. Ian Madigan, 9. Harry Randall; 1. Yann Thomas, 2. Harry Thacker, 3. John Afoa, 4. John Hawkins, 5. Chris Vui, 6. Steve Luatua, 7. Dan Thomas, 8. Jordan Crane (co-capt).

Replacements: 16. Nick Fenton-Wells, 17. Jake Woolmore, 18. Lewis Thiede, 19. Nick Haining, 20. Jack Lam, 21. Andy Uren, 22. Callum Sheedy, 23. Charles Piutau.

Their board suggests that they are light in the 2nd row.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:13:29 PM »
Really hopeful for this.
Nice to see the returnees.

Jac A

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 02:53:04 PM »
Very happy with this team. The pack looks good, nice balance to the backrow.

Hopefully Willie will be back to his best after a decent rest.

I thought that Bristol would put out a 'better' team, I'm guessing they've got some injuries, glad not to see the likes of Hurrell and as Ross says, Hawkins and Vui seems a but lightweight in the engine room - hopefully Rowlands can have a great game. Nice to see five (by my count) former Wasps in their team, I sure we won't underestimate them, I think it will be a tricky game but I'm more confident having seen the two teams.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 03:44:05 PM »
Searle at 10 worries me.  I know Lima hasn't been setting the world on fire for us, but Searle seems to get better the longer he doesn't play for.  He's like Lima but without the ocassional flashes of brilliance.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »
Searle at 10 worries me.  I know Lima hasn't been setting the world on fire for us, but Searle seems to get better the longer he doesn't play for.  He's like Lima but without the ocassional flashes of brilliance.

Maybe he has a point to prove with Madigan?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 04:23:26 PM »
Glad to see no Mohrihan (spelt wrong), Hurell and Smith with CP on the bench...could be the little extra we need.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:09 PM »

Maybe he has a point to prove with Madigan?

I hope so.  My feeling is that he'll be fairly solid with no stand out moments, and one or two f**k ups.  We really need Lima to hit his stride if we're going to pull out of the nosedive we're in, how that happens I have no idea, but I'm gonna be crossing all my fingers and hoping!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »
Looks like we have a decent squad of 23 for this one, to be fair our 2nd row isn't a area of strength either without Big Joe. I'm trying to talk myself into riding down after work as it's supposed to be spring like conditions tomorrow and the game isn't televised.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 05:45:44 PM »
Didn't Lima have hamstring problems during his last game (Wuss PRC) and came off at half time? Perhaps Dai is being cautious with his return?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 07:31:48 PM »
Looks like we have a decent squad of 23 for this one, to be fair our 2nd row isn't a area of strength either without Big Joe. I'm trying to talk myself into riding down after work as it's supposed to be spring like conditions tomorrow and the game isn't televised.

Offset the petrol and spend 40 quid to get NBC sports gold...catch every game for the rest of the season

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 07:45:35 PM »
Jac A: Is Thiede the fifth ex-Wasp?

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 07:50:10 PM »
Decent team thankfully, hoping for a good result to make the drive to Bristol on a Friday night worthwhile