Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sale Match Thread  (Read 8086 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Sale Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2019, 05:46:13 PM »
Just to be clear, it is far more over there than here that Hampson gets a kicking, as with most threads here there is much less hyperbolic and vituperative discussion generally (let us drink to that).

I did say more there than here, but at the top of the post indicated it applies to both sites, which it probably doesn't, I am sure there has been the odd negative comment about him here (one poster, who I often agree with and whose posts I value highly said after the Bath game that "Hampson has got worse, didn't think it was possible" or similar, which was perhaps a tad unfair) but those are not really the ones that annoy me, the odd comnent after a loss like that is to be expected, and nothing like the slaughtering he gets over there.

Mea culpa, I should gave read that one through before posting.

I do stand by the content of the post, that aside, I do feel he gets a rough ride over there, and at times has performed not much worse than Simpson.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:55:33 PM by westwaleswasp »

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2019, 08:10:08 PM »
Just to be clear, it is far more over there than here that Hampson gets a kicking, as with most threads here there is much less hyperbolic and vituperative discussion generally (let us drink to that).

I did say more there than here, but at the top of the post indicated it applies to both sites, which it probably doesn't, I am sure there has been the odd negative comment about him here (one poster, who I often agree with and whose posts I value highly said after the Bath game that "Hampson has got worse, didn't think it was possible" or similar, which was perhaps a tad unfair) but those are not really the ones that annoy me, the odd comnent after a loss like that is to be expected, and nothing like the slaughtering he gets over there.

Mea culpa, I should gave read that one through before posting.

I do stand by the content of the post, that aside, I do feel he gets a rough ride over there, and at times has performed not much worse than Simpson.

You're right in that he's not been much worse than Simmo, but he has plenty of credit in the bank and still has a lot of fans.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »
Understandably so. Joe is a superb Wasp who stuck with us when he could have f***d off to France and when we were  performing at a poor AP/GP level. He was a super player for us, and stuck with us.

To be honest, I would love to have pulled on a Wasp shirt and been "just" a Craig Hampson or Rory Pitman, so I always feel when those guys get a slagging for being a bit out of their depth. Who wouldn't be? Bottom line is, the third choice  scrum half is the third choice. To expect them to be Robson (the best scrum half in the country with ball in hand) is just too much. I think Hampson has performed at a level I would expect, and had he performed with
"Simpson"on his back would  have been cut a bit more slack. And yes, I understand that Porter may well be a better bet long term, and my knowledge of good 9s is limited.

The label does so much damage, we all gave expectations. Lima the marquee Danny replacement? Poor. Lima the up and coming young ten? Let us have more. Works for everyone really, context is all.

From what I hear Hampson is a nice guy and decent  fellow (doing some coaching with Jimmy iirc) and I would like to think that when he leaves us he does so with thanks for his efforts, which as it stands probably won't set him up for life, unlike a soccer equivalent on 50 grand a week for being third choice at Man Utd.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:18:01 PM by westwaleswasp »

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2019, 08:45:31 AM »
I can only just bring myself to post anything after a miserable weekend of rugby.  I do take heart in our second half fight back even though it wasn't quite enough, two marginal decisions for trys both went the way of Sale and gave us far too much to do.  That said the first half performance was so flat we allowed those decisions to make the difference.

For me the biggest problem we had was that the rugby was so static passes were all played and received at a standstill.  Which in that last minute or so, whilst there was little regard for offside, we would receive the ball and immediately get pushed back.  Even balls out wide were passed into the body taking any forward momentum away.  I'm not sure if that is all part of a more conservative playing style or poor implementation of what Dai and his team are asking for.

In terms of players, they all show ability however are not clicking as a unit.  I think we've got a big job on to try and rebuild and develop the club onto better things.  Whilst I'm sure in our financial position the CVC money is handy, it has also meant that the competition has also stepped up markedly.  Those that have simply ploughed that cash into players will soon find it depleted however and I hope that we've got a sufficient long game in plan to come out stronger.

Leicester will be tough next week after their loss at Wuss, although I'd hope a bonus point will be available.  I wonder if TY will play? Might have a back row of

Willis - Nemo - Young
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:49:57 AM by Dgwasp »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2019, 10:08:22 AM »
I expect Nathan will be back with us next weekend, Dan, who needs game time (and how), as well. I expect Jones will keep Launch and Brad as, with Lawes out, he can't risk injuries to those two.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
Anyone else think the penalty just before half time didn't go between the posts. On the day I saw Ashley ask for a review and just watched it and it looks wide.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2019, 06:45:19 PM »
Looked wide from my seat, but I am down at the halfway line so the judges should have a better view, but then the line judge on my side in the first half did seem to be struggling.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »
Anyone else think the penalty just before half time didn't go between the posts. On the day I saw Ashley ask for a review and just watched it and it looks wide.

Sale fans I was near thought it wide.
I was directly behind the posts. I posted on DW that there was apoplexy in front of me over it. Looked like it missed by two feet, min. May just have been an optical illusion. The booing at ht was aimed not at the team but the touch officials.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:36:02 PM by westwaleswasp »

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2019, 08:57:50 PM »
Sat on the halfway line.. .. almost behind the kick my initial reaction was that it went wide..