Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Wasps players whose futures are still to be confirmed  (Read 5040 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Wasps players whose futures are still to be confirmed
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »
Hampson is off to Ealing according to last weekends TRP.

Surprised about Miller and Reider as I thought they had another year - don't know why I think that. Dai seems to rate both though.

TJ - I thought he was rumoured to be off.

West again I thought he had another year.

Myall has been good for us most of the time so would be sad to see him go plus we would have to replace him or upgrade somebody. With Launch off with England we need cover.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 04:51:25 PM »
Hampson is off to Ealing according to last weekends TRP.

Surprised about Miller and Reider as I thought they had another year - don't know why I think that. Dai seems to rate both though.

TJ - I thought he was rumoured to be off.

West again I thought he had another year.

Myall has been good for us most of the time so would be sad to see him go plus we would have to replace him or upgrade somebody. With Launch off with England we need cover.

Bobby's caveat: CoventryLive understands around nine current squad members have contracts that expire this summer and have yet to put pen to paper on a new deal or secure a move elsewhere.

Due to Wasps not publicly revealing contract lengths when players extend their stays or when they first sign, we've trawled through the archives and gleaned information where it presents itself to deliver a list of players that we think have question marks against their name.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 06:31:32 PM »
Hampson to Ealing i'm fine with. I'd certainly like to retain Miller but I'm on the fence about Reider, he has been out so long and i'm not sure what version will be back on the pitch. I like him and he's a fine player but we have a few decent back row options these days, comes down to money and play time for the likes of Tom Willis.

TJ has looked decent when he has appeared but at 25 he'll want gametime beyond his 3rd/4th choice. I'd be happy for him to stay tho.

Myall is a def keeper, penalties aside he's a good operator.

West - no opinion.

maire23

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:20:06 PM »
I guess given the precarious state that Carnegie are in that TJ’s previously  proposed move is off.
If West can get a chance elsewhere then hopefully someone will snap him up. Woefully underused at Wasps because he’s just stuck behind too many other players (and barely gets a chance even when he isn’t!!)
I’m not too sure any other half decent looseheads would willingly become 4th choice at Wasps so if he does go then I guess Thornton will be promoted.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 10:14:35 PM »
Rieder has that ability to stay on his feet after being ‘tackled’ and in doing so means he pulls in more defenders and making the defence narrower. Because of that I say we keep him, he breaks the gainline and carries hard, not a lot of our 8s do that.

On top of his recent injury record and not being a starting 8, he will be cheaper and he’s EQP. We should give him a 1yr deal to see if he can replicate his pre injury form.

West should be signed up, we’ve got 5 quality TH and only 3 LH signed up for next year including an injured Mac and an international ZZ, one injury and we look bare.

Miller should be signed up for his versatility and EQP.

The main question mark would be around Watson, his ability to play wing and FB would make me lean towards renewing his contract, but it’ll depend on his desire to stay at the club amongst new signings and whether he can prove that he’s beginning to get over his injuries. He’s got talent that’s obvious.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:19:00 PM »
this article is remarkably similar to a post I made on DW very recently but I’ll let Bobby off.
Miller I would assume is on another year but Cruse re-signing does confuse this a little.
I would get rid of most of these guys to be honest, a little cut throat and I’d much prefer squad retention but some just don’t add much.

Garratt- hardly played in three years due to bulking up season and then injuries.
Myall- one of the best line out operatives and has a few years left in the tank but now seemingly 5th choice.
- instead I’d sign a lump of a South African or a big Fijian lock who could offload and push for a starting spot, think we’ve been lacking at 2nd row this year.

TJ- clearly not trusted by Dai, let Oghre come through and then Barbeary giving them the A league and cup game time.

Hampson- Homer or giving Porter a shot would be a much better option IMO

Watson- scores some belters but just not consistent enough and often injured. With Ambrose Curtis gone as well I’d rather have Owain James on a senior contract and then him and the likes of Sirker given the game time in the cup etc.
Hopefully the Wade size whole that is still evident in the squad Leyds can fill. Him and Minozzi can still create the fleet of foot magic that Watson has.

Gaby- getting old, doesn’t like passing and often injured. With Jimmy back, Fekitoa and the likes of Neal Spjnk and Simmonds coming through I’d rather others got a chance.

West, Miller and Rieder must stay IMO

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 12:25:57 AM »
Much I agree with there. Sorry to say Watson and Gaby just don't convince. Hampson is fine- for a third choice without a great deal of likelihood that he will be more than that, and realistically a younger option might make more sense.....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:56:59 PM by westwaleswasp »

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 01:44:15 PM »
I'd keep Rob and Tom but I would cut Gaby, Waston and Garratt loose. I don't know if I'd keep Hampson, we have Vellacott coming in and I'd like to see Will Porter getting a bit more time.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »
I would like to keep Marcus. He's had more than his fair share of injuries but when he's played he has a smile on his face and he's managed a few tries recently.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 08:28:54 PM »
I'd keep Rob and Tom but I would cut Gaby, Waston and Garratt loose. I don't know if I'd keep Hampson, we have Vellacott coming in and I'd like to see Will Porter getting a bit more time.

We have to remember that Dan's blood clots might end up being career ending. We won't know for a few months yet, so it might be a bit premature to let Hampson go before we know what's happening about Dan.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 10:06:21 PM »

We have to remember that Dan's blood clots might end up being career ending. We won't know for a few months yet, so it might be a bit premature to let Hampson go before we know what's happening about Dan.

If Dan is done we'd need another #1..Hampson isn't that.

I'd be happy with Porter, Vel and the guy from the red's

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 10:26:17 PM »

I did forget that Dan may well need to hang his boots up

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 10:31:50 PM »

I did forget that Dan may well need to hang his boots up

Very difficult for Dai and of course for Dobby. Unlike a break or a ligament injury, as yet nobody knows the prognosis.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 08:55:03 AM »
The uncertainty about Robson is a bit of a head scratcher for Dai and it must also be worrying for Dan and his family himself.

That being said, its almost the perfect time to be signing quality players given that a lot of players might like to try pastures new after the WC.

I still don't think we've heard the last of the WRU debacle and there could be a number of players that leave the 4 regions

Of the players listed earlier in this post I'd be tempted to offer Watson and Myall extensions but I'm guessng their value (worth) would be currently less than when they last signed contracts