Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sops leaving?  (Read 8208 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sops leaving?
« on: April 03, 2019, 07:44:38 AM »
Apparently according to the Times he's asked to be released from his contract.  Does anyone have the ability to copy the full article as I'm not a subscriber...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Sops leaving?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 07:53:04 AM »
I am not a subscriber either, but it would not surprise me. Whilst we are without Billy, that would leave us short, but, from what I have seen, Umaga should already be in that 10 shirt anyway. Only fear, I suspect, has kept Dai from playing him (of needing points), but look how well our current lineup has delivered points anyway?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 08:00:27 AM »
It would be a very brave move to make Billy 1st choice and Umaga 2nd choice, and only look to bring in a 3rd choice fly half.

It would be a brave move to bring in someone to compete with all 3.

Both of these may have been a bit more possible if we'd had a good season, but seeing as we haven't, I suspect we'll go for a proven NH fly half. There is talk about Anscombe leaving Wales.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 08:04:58 AM »
Brave choices are the ones that make the difference. Safe choices are what other teams do. We can't do any worse than we have all season making 'brave' choices.

Green Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 08:10:26 AM »
Maybe adds to earlier rumblings about Max Malins. Would be unlike Dai to entrust such a key position to young player(s) but it doesn't worry me. Gopps will be about next season too.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »
Brave choices are the ones that make the difference. Safe choices are what other teams do. We can't do any worse than we have all season making 'brave' choices.

We could easily have done a lot worse...

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 08:42:43 AM »
It doesn't really line up to a very recent interview that he has given.  I did see something about him potentially leaving if we are relegated on another forum mind.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
It would be a very brave move to make Billy 1st choice and Umaga 2nd choice, and only look to bring in a 3rd choice fly half.

Both of these may have been a bit more possible if we'd had a good season, but seeing as we haven't, I suspect we'll go for a proven NH fly half. There is talk about Anscombe leaving Wales.

Hasn't he signed for Bath?

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »

Hasn't he signed for Bath?

Aren't Bath trying to keep Priestland now?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 09:24:04 AM »
Gopps will be about next season too.

No guarantees on that. He's not back yet.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 09:25:39 AM »
Anscombe had been rumoured to be off to Bristol, but that was denied yesterday. If Sops had asked to be released, it would have been weeks ago, and so Dai would have been hunting Cips (and he has now signed for Glaws).

If Sops wants off, there is no way Dai can justify keeping him, contract or not. His wages in the salary bill are too high to keep someone who wants out and would potentially be demotivated. best do it now rather than try to hold on to him like we did with Wade and then be left with no-one in place. It has to be said, it is way too late to pick up anyone of 'fame' at this point.

Plan B is to look in the Championship. Plan C is to use Miller. Plan C is to use Umaga until Searle is back, and the use Searle or Umaga.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 09:51:16 AM »
Regarding the flyhalf choice - I suppose it depends upon the overall style of play (I don't mean aesthetically) we want to carry out. The most successful Prem club play very successfully with a limited 10 and an ageing if robust 12, with all their flair in the 13 to 15 channels plus 11

We don't have to have our Barry John at 10 especially if there are several second receivers in the team, especially at 15,so if Sops is off, which I would be sad about, then with appropriate back three selection and a tweaked game plan, we can decide on a more "solid" option at 10

I loved watching Danny and others play and I'd hope Jacob gets game time - but like Smith at Quins, however good you are, its a hard step up, especially if you are young and first choice 10. I'd hope we'd have a pool of FHs, we would need someone for next season with some time under their belt.

Any ideas?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 10:24:58 AM »

We could easily have done a lot worse...
I would wait till end of season before making such pronouncements, Raggs. I hope you are right.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 10:40:54 AM »
Blimey! This isn't news I was expecting to read today.

I'd be suprised if this was true as a recent interview with him suggested how was loving living in Europe as it gave him the opportunity to travel and was looking forward to next season after experiencing an 'adjustment period' to the GP game and it's physicality.

If he were to leave then I would want and expect Dai to replace him with a genuine starter. I know Billy hasn't let us down this season but the bar has been pretty low. I think he's a good player and a great back-up but I don't think he's the 10 to lead us to any silverware. Umaga looks class when ever i've seen him play. However, I still thinks he needs to be eased in and not just thrown in as starting 10.

Would be gutted if Sops does decide to move on, but fully expect Dai and Derek to replace him with a big name 10.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 10:48:54 AM »
If true and, as yet, it has not been reported elsewhere, then I am sure that Lima would have broached this with Dai some time ago. There was this article on Rugbypass dated March 28th https://www.rugbypass.com/news/i-get-a-lot-of-questions-on-how-life-on-this-side-of-the-world-is-wasps-lima-sopoaga-on-his-chats-with-old-kiwi-teammates posted here. It's quite a long piece so I have made one or two extracts:

"There are no regrets whatsoever nearing the end of year one of a two-and-a-half year deal."

“I’d say after this year I will be evaluating the year that it has been. I’d say I will make a few adjustments heading into next season."

I recommend reading the entire article. It doesn't give the impression of a player who wants to be released from his contract. However, it may not be him who hasn't settled but his family and family always comes first.

I was in the middle of typing this when you posted, Rory.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!