Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Why ring fencing won't help  (Read 3225 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Why ring fencing won't help
« on: April 07, 2019, 07:54:37 AM »

I think we're now going to see why ring fencing the premiership won't change anything.

The argument I keep reading is that without the threat of relegation, teams can bring through their younger players

However, we have now essentially confirmed that we'll stay up... But I don't see us take too many risks because we still have top 6 to play for.

I think that'll be the same for most teams most seasons.
I don't see ring fencing making any material difference

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Why ring fencing won't help
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:51:02 AM »
Next Friday's game, Falcons v Leicester, will be huge. With ring fencing, it would not have a lot of significance - young players or not.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
Yes, top six is a benchmark, but if you cannot compete it wouldn't really help momentum. A season in challenge cup could be used to give some of the up and coming players European experience.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »
Yes, top six is a benchmark, but if you cannot compete it wouldn't really help momentum. A season in challenge cup could be used to give some of the up and coming players European experience.

The challenge cup would help younger players in the same way that a season in the championship would.
Both would allow younger / academy players more game time

However the clubs all want the money from the higher tier competition.

"Settling" for challenge cup could also be seen as a lack of ambition.

However, my initial point is that even with ring fencing, there are significant rewards to be obtained by finishing higher in the league, so I'm not convinced too many extra academy players would be "risked" because of it

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »
Exe are 9 points ahead of the estate agents. How many 'junior' players are they giving a run out? BTW: I don't know the answer  :o
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 12:43:51 PM »
Definitely wouldn't hate a season of challenge cup. Umaga, porter etc could get some brilliant experience and gametime.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 02:06:39 PM »
Definitely wouldn't hate a season of challenge cup. Umaga, porter etc could get some brilliant experience and gametime.

That’s a plus one from me.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 02:10:35 PM »

Might be a good team building season. Certainly would welcome the change of places to visit. Team would have to well though to get to the TV stages of the competition.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 09:44:40 AM »

Might be a good team building season. Certainly would welcome the change of places to visit. Team would have to well though to get to the TV stages of the competition.

With how some of the teams are playing in other leagues I wouldn't bet on going somewhere new, could imagine us getting Toulon in the Challenge Cup.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »

With how some of the teams are playing in other leagues I wouldn't bet on going somewhere new, could imagine us getting Toulon in the Challenge Cup.

Isn't there normally a Russian and Romanian team that is involved in the Challenge Cup?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »
Yes usually Russian team and T Saracens from Romania.  Plus Zebre which was a nice trip a few years ago. Toulon is ok far better than another Toulouse trip.
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
I think Newcastle's failure to secure a losing bonus point does go slightly in our favour but we would be stupid to rely on putting our fate in the hands of others.