Always a Wasp

Author Topic: More Signings to Come...?  (Read 4178 times)

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
More Signings to Come...?
« on: April 08, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »
Things have gone quite quiet on the rumour mill regarding Wasps, but also in general for other clubs. How many more signings do we feel are coming before the seasons starts and will we be seeing a quiet patch on recruitment until the end of the season.

I know it's a weird time to be talking signings, given the Jan/Feb rush is over and we're still a month away from the end of the season. But with Wade, Daly, Hughes and WLR all off, we must have some cap freed up given our recruitment to date (obviously some guess work on wages offered)... So are we going to use it to tie down our youngsters on long term deals, or will we be seeing some RWC players signing late on?

There are a few factors in my mind...

Are a number of players holding out until after RWC squads are announced to confirm their clubs next season? Will we see a wave of signing announcements following internation squads being finalised?
***Can imagine a number of players who are not core players within the thier international squad and thus not guaranteed a seat on the plan to Japan, will be waiting have that seat confirmed and then announce their final contract with a NH Club.
Didn't this backfire with Charles Piutau who announced his Ulster move, won MOTM in a RWC warm-up game but still didn't make the AB squad!

How many of the 6 players yet to re-sign are going to and how many are out the door?
***Garratt, Gaby, Myall, Rieder, Hampson, West

How many Snr Academy players will be promoted to our main squad?
I'm assuming there will be more player promotions this summer than we have had in recent years.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:24:14 AM by Rory87 »

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: More Signings to Come...?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 04:28:48 PM »
What I'd like to see is investment in our younger players and trying to give them as many games as possible. With players moving on, it might give that opportunity for bench places to be filled with players in the shape of Umaga/Porter/Sirker et al.
It's great seeing international players from other countries coming in but I have the impression that they will move on quicker and may all go at the same time, creating a bit of a squad churn - like what has happened in the past couple of seasons.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 04:29:25 PM »
My guess is that most of these slots will be filled with academy players. They tend to get signed later as the window for other clubs to talk to them is much later. Looking at the A Team 15 for tonight will give you a big clue as to who might be in the running.

Cameron Anderson - Full back or centre
Sam Spink - Center
Callum Sirker - Wing
Jacob Umaga - Fly Half
Will Porter - Scrum Half
Gabriel Oghre - Hooker
Tim Cardall - Lock
James Seabrook - Loosehead Flanker
Tom Willis - Number 8

I think they are all academy players?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »
Hampson strongly rumoured to be Ealing bound.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 05:01:07 PM »
We desperately need a coach or two.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 05:02:07 PM »
We desperately need a coach or two.

I have absoluitely no doubt at all that we will get one.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Green Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »
Only ones seen I've recently are Leyds and Will Homer. Kibirige was muted but re-signed with Newcastle last week. Young lad who plays on wing for Pirates (name escapes me) was mentioned in print but that was ages ago and heard nothing more. Could be a few moves from whichever side is relegated.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 07:36:36 PM »
Glad the Newc kid signed on...I didn't fancy that one.

I've seen nothing beyond those mentioned.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 08:16:01 PM »
I'm sure there'll be a few championship players picked up too.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
Rieder has already signed up for more.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 01:32:52 AM »
Academy wise Dai could in theory keep the majority in the academy and that might make more financial sense for player credits, think I’m right in saying that.

Spink, Simmonds, Anderson, Curran will all stay where they are as they are u19 this year, Sirker is about the same age I believe and will probably have another year in the academy, as well as the likes of Atta, Onyeama Christie, Seabrook, hunt and Jardine who are all at uni still.
The older members of the group are
Owain James and Cardall who would hope to get promoted, Langley is a few years older than them and it’s really make or break time for him, especially with us already having 4 new THs on board for next year. Thornton is already off to Glasgow.
Umaga, Oghre then come next and could be in with a chance of a senior contract and i hope they are as they’ll be snapped up by others if not.
Year below that comes Porter and Willis and possibly Sirker and then the u19 lot mentioned above.

Elsewhere Dai is still looking for another centre and winger I’m sure he mentioned in interviews gone by. Maybe depends on whether Gaby stays.

Up front we are surely set in the front and back row but the second row worries me but we have not been linked to anyone so wonder if Cardall, Myall and Garratt will all be retained to maximise options there for another year.

Mullan - Zhvania
TJ - Oghre - Barbeary
JCW - JT-A
Stuart - Alo/Daniels/Owlett
Thornton- Nearchou from U18?
Atkinson - T Willis
Hughes - Vailanu
Simpson - Vellacott
Hampson? - Homer? Porter
Daly - Fekitoa
Wade/Campagnaro - Minozzi
Curtis - James?
WLR - Leyds?

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 08:27:12 AM »

Very relieved to hear this! Couldn't find the announcement on the Wasps Instagram account so was worrying he still wasn't secured for next season.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
I think you're right Jonny, there may be more sense in keeping most of the younsters classed as senior academy players. Would assume thought that Oghre, Willis and Umaga will have to be promoted due to age, or is that not a factor?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »
Wonder how bad Oghre's injury is from last night. Carried off after 5 mins doesn't sound good.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 11:08:33 AM »

As much as I have looked, I cannot see one? The last one he signed was two years ago (in November 2017), with that contract starting 2018/19. His first contract was a three year contract ending in 2017/2018.

At the moment he is in the first year of either a two or three year contract, so I do not think he needs a new contract?