Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Youngs banned for 3 weeks  (Read 2977 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Youngs banned for 3 weeks
« on: April 10, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47867111

Yet again the ban was halved because he pretended to be contrite.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Youngs banned for 3 weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »
I think he is extremely lucky, IMO it was intended not mistimed, and the whip on the Chiefs players neck could have been a lot worse. Tigers have had to issue a statement tonight regarding internet/social media abuse from so called fans. A very sorry state all round in Leicester. Youngs knew they had a mountain to climb, his actions could cost the club dearer than him missing 3 games. Not very captain like.
It was fine when I left it.....

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 09:51:28 PM »
What doesn't seem fair to me is that it is similar to the sort of 'clearing out' that Exeter have been dishing out for a few seasons, but it is a Tigers player that gets the ban, admittedly the Exeter player hadn't managed to get back on his feet.

Interesting to hear Ugo on the Five Live pod suggesting if rucking players out of the way were still allowed that people wouldn't lie on the wrong side so much and there would be less people flying into rucks. I can see the argument that whilst painful, the forces involved are less likely to cause serious injury.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:37:47 PM »
To the head all season...not sure about that, flying in clearing is fine..to the head when he isn't really still part of a ruck is a red.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 08:18:58 AM »
Yes, good point, I guess not directly to the head all season.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »
Yes, good point, I guess not directly to the head all season.

By luck rather than judgement, I fancy.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 10:03:11 AM »
I'm not sure about the automatic halving of the ban if you appear contrite and plead guilty. It almost pushes a player to say they are guilty even if they think they are not (i.e. Gaby's ban for a tackle against an Exeter player and Hughes reacting to being throttled on the ground).

The Youngs incident was clearly red as the player in question was trying to roll out of the tackle area and Youngs lead with his shoulder flying in like a torpedo.

I do have some sympathy for players coming into rucks trying to ensure quick ball from the ruck when they find an opposition player doubled over the ball .. not really trying to rip it from the tackled player but generally slowing the ball down.

This "jackalling" position is relatively modern and I certainly would have never attempted it when I played for fear of having my neck broken. Players are putting their head/neck/spine in a vunerable position knowing that old school rucking has left the game.

Apparently there have been dscussions about banning the jackal position but how the law would be worded is beyond me as technically its a contest for the ball.. banning that leads us to a different form of rugby.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 10:19:27 AM »
Sorry but it seems systemic in this country - 8 years for murder out in under 4 years. The rugby authorities must realise that people are playing with the guilty option just to reduce the time. All goes well with tea and biscuits until some past texts during the process. It is time in all walks of life that a sentence period is what it means.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »
How about the ref pings the player on the floor as soon as someone on their feet trys to pick the ball up.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 10:53:28 AM »
How about the ref pings the player on the floor as soon as someone on their feet trys to pick the ball up.

You mean like in Sevens? What it means is that the ball is turned over a lot in the tackle, and a lot of penalties are given. In time, that leads to encourage a lot of off loading in the tackles, and a much faster game. I wonder where rugby is played like that .... ? Same set of rules, different interpretations by referees.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 11:12:50 AM »
Sorry but it seems systemic in this country - 8 years for murder out in under 4 years. The rugby authorities must realise that people are playing with the guilty option just to reduce the time. All goes well with tea and biscuits until some past texts during the process. It is time in all walks of life that a sentence period is what it means.
This is what drives me mad with the RFU, there is almost a lack of consistency by design. Pleading guilty implies clear intent or abject carelessness, and no regard for the wellbeing of the other player, therefore why should the ban be reduced? It is almost that the panels reduce the ban, based on they get to sit in the hearing for less time if someone coughs up 'sorry' and 'guilty'. The challenge from Youngs could have been life changing for the Chiefs player, he was on the ground and hit full on by Youngs shoulder on the head - both were lucky people that day. Tom Youngs is 16 and a 1/2 stone, the impact is going to be felt, regardless of that the RFU need to define a consistent approach to use as a bedrock moving forward.
It was fine when I left it.....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 11:47:44 AM »
The other interesting aspect to this is whether Youngs woud have been pinged if the Exeter player hadn't stayed down.

The ref and TMO normally follow the play and where the ball is but I'm guessing the attention of the TMO is drawn to someone lying prone away from the action.

The case in point is the high tackle TT received from a Leicester player, where TT got back to his feet straight away.

After the match Murphy's ill advised comment was that TT got back to his feet so the tackle didn't warrant a red card

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »
The other interesting aspect to this is whether Youngs woud have been pinged if the Exeter player hadn't stayed down.

The ref and TMO normally follow the play and where the ball is but I'm guessing the attention of the TMO is drawn to someone lying prone away from the action.

The case in point is the high tackle TT received from a Leicester player, where TT got back to his feet straight away.

After the match Murphy's ill advised comment was that TT got back to his feet so the tackle didn't warrant a red card

I think this is where Tadgh Beirne's playacting may come into it slightly because you are proving that a player who stays down - or exaggerates something - will generally get an offence noticed more than if they got straight up (like TT did) or carried on as normal. I'm not saying the Exe player cheated - because he certainly didn't. But what I am saying is that I am hoping that this isn't the start of something bad.