Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 4G pitches  (Read 2177 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
4G pitches
« on: April 12, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »
I'm not sure if there was a thread for this already  - I think its been discussed before but perhaps in another topic (perhaps another forum?)

Haskell and Tindall on their latest podcast  (link below for those who haven't seen it) discuss (amongst other things) suitability of 4g pitches. Tinds admitted his experience of them was limited but didn't enjoy playing on them and Hask hasn't met a player yet (obviously not a massive survey) that enjoys or looks forward to the prospect of playing on them.

The host for the show this week (Vernon - Alex Payne was away skiing) quoted  that there was no evidence of there being more injurires but what injuries there were, were more severe.

So does that imply there has been a limited study?

Hask also pointed out that players at no time had been asked about having to play on 4G pitches. Do you think more research will take place before another club installs one?

They also questioned the argument of lower maintenance costs and whether they do actualy get used that much by external community clubs (another reason for having them). Both Hask and Tinds were fine with the hybrid pitches as they offer the best of both worlds.

The section starts at about 20 mins but feel free to watch Hask rant on about other things and also have another sly dig at Wasps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTzrxOy_iY8

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 4G pitches
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
There are endless article - a sample...

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/staggering-amount-of-injuries-on-4g-pitches-compared-to-grass-1.3641369

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/rfu-artificial-grass-pitch-programme-agp-questions-injuries-burns-mrsa-saracens-newcastle-worcester-a8570401.html

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/do-artificial-football-pitches-cause-more-injuries-than/1prtyjo6rv5jh13jpf7fvb0jfz

This one had this quote....relevant to Mr Willis?

After a study on American footballers in 2012, it was suggested that players can get too good a grip on the surface.

"What the problem is, we think, is the shoe-surface interface," Dr. James Bradley, the chief orthopaedic surgeon for the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL franchise told Reuters Health. “You can change the moulding patterns on the shoe to decrease friction.”

Dr. Jason Dragoo, who led the study which showed an increased incidence of knee injuries in the sport, added: “If you are in the wrong position, because your leg doesn't give way as it does on grass, it can distribute that force to your knee and cause an injury.

“The way that you move and the way that you pivot and change direction will determine your risk of having an ACL tear. So even if we do have increased risk on the turf with the shoes, we can modify that by making sure that the athletes are moving right.”

My knees are buggered from playing too much cricket on grass....as a fast bowler - really wouldn't have fancied my rugby chances on a plastic pitch.

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »
The lad dislocated a shoulder whilst playing - what is currently his last game - 6 years ago.  I asked the host club if they had an "accident book" or equivalent  to record the details, as it was a brand new pitch. I presumed the RFU would be keeping an eye on relevant statistics of injuries compared to grass.

Subsequently mentioned the event to an old mate who researched and then pointed to a form on either WR or RFU website. I completed and sent it to RFU through an employee of theirs that I worked with in the community. They made sure it got to the relevant person.

The outcome? I was given the brush off. There were always going to be more injuries on these pitches - because many more games were played on them!

In terms of current players using them. Look at the abundance of (thinks it's) Micropore on elbows and knees when they play on 4G just to avoid skin burn?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »
Micropore is a bit flimsy. I'd prefer kevlar.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
Issue with the research is that there is none...

Especially at professional level.

Only stuff I’ve seen is that the types of injuries change (ie football has more ankle injuries on artificial compared to grass) but no more prevalent.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 04:33:16 PM »
Presumably I'll be playing on it again next season in Portsmouth, will definitely be looking to cover up if I can.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 05:15:10 PM »
Hate the things. Composite pitches are the best solution.