Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Doesn't Sound Promising!  (Read 10623 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Doesn't Sound Promising!
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2019, 11:12:26 AM »
You have to remember when players signed their last contract and their status at that moment in time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes last contract signing was just before he became an England player so he may not have been on as much as everyone thinks.

If Brizz are paying him £500k then best of luck to him. You could probably get 2 or maybe 3 decent super 14 saffas for that amount.

Obviously that impacts on the EQP rule though for any club going down that route.

I'd like to know if Gopps is EQP though? JonnyD seems clued up on this type of thing.

If it wasn't for him being at Leinster for a short period then I'm guessing he would as he was at Newcastle before that and would qualify under residency rules

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
I'd like to know if Gopps is EQP though? JonnyD seems clued up on this type of thing.

If it wasn't for him being at Leinster for a short period then I'm guessing he would as he was at Newcastle before that and would qualify under residency rules

He played for the Junior All Blacks so I think is tied in to them, seem to remember this being discussed in the other place previously.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2019, 12:18:24 PM »
But that wouldn't be a full cap so would that count?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
I work with a number of South Africans and have done for some time, on speaking to them their motivation in coming to the UK is two-fold, the opportunity to earn more money and access to employment related benefits, and security in all forms in the broadest sense - the UK even with the current chaos is a millpond compared to the maelstrom in SA. Rugby players will be no different in their thinking, so tapping into that talent pool makes sense. The speed of acclimatisation for SA heritage players does seems quicker than NZ heritage players, it may be my poor memory but I seem to recall JdJ slotted straight in but WLR had a more torrid time in the earlier days, we all recall the dropped try against Leinster - that didn't help.
It was fine when I left it.....

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2019, 01:31:42 PM »

He played for the Junior All Blacks so I think is tied in to them, seem to remember this being discussed in the other place previously.

That’s pressure BG!!!! But I do find interesting the technicalities that make up a squad and impact recruitment and salary cap,
The rules have changed now of course due to mr Pichot and partly Nathan Hughes and a few Italian and French lads but Jimmy would only have needed to be in the country for 3 years to become eqp on residency and I imagine he probably gained this whilst at Newcastle and if not would definitely assume he has gained it since being at Wasps. Unsure if he player for the junior ABs or if it was their designated second team at the time or not, or if that even matters as he could have just applied for residency and citizenship, not in order to play for England, but to not be counted as an overseas player at a club.

Could all well change after Brexit of course but would assume Lima and JT-A have Pacific Islander passports (Samoan?), pretty sure that Fekitoa has a Tongan one as Vailanu would.Shields of course EQP and probably Jimmy, SA players all KOLPAK qualified too. Just leaves ZZ as a ‘foreign’ player unless any of the NZ guys have NZ passports - you’re allowed 2 foreign players in your match day squad so not EU or Kolpak.

The other thing to consider is we’d need an average of 15 Eqp players in a match day squad across a season to meet that quota moving forward.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2019, 01:32:30 PM »
Whatever the financial situation, with the news that Myall is off, we will definitely see at least 1 new lock arrive.

Of the list of leavers, I wouldn't be surprised if Daly and Simmo were the highest earners leaving, although, having said that, scrum half and outside centre are typically among the lower paid positions in premiership rugby. However, Daly is a Lion and an England regular. He will command a high salary (let's gloss over the saracens contract stuff). Simmo has been with us a long time and was our No1 for a lot of that. I've speculated before that those that followed us to Coventry may have had a bumper contract at one point, so it wouldn't surprise me if Simmo is paid more than a lot of other 9's.

Nathan is great, but at the time of his last contract probably wasn't the international regular that he is now so may not be on top dollar with us.
I expect Myall to be earning a fair salary though. He was fringe England Saxons when he came to us and 2nd row is one of the higher earning positions.

Fekitoa is reportedly on €500k with Toulon - Dai has previously said that no-one moves for less money. If that's true, then Fekitoa will be on a minimum of £450k, probably more.
That's probably more than any player that we have leaving, and probably double a few of them.
(it's a lot of money, but could be money well spent if it helps Lima settle better next season)

I would have thought that Mullan's money is already spent. The ruck.co.uk chart suggests that Looseheads are among the lowest paid positions in the game, so even if there is a bit left over, it might not be a huge amount.

My gut feel is that there is money in the kitty, but not ridiculous amounts of it.

One thing that I keep thinking about is how the salary cap remaining static changes this.
With the CVC money coming in, a lot of clubs are going to be tempted to push right up to the limit of the cap next season.
With no increase in the cap for the next couple of years, they're going to struggle to offer new contracts to their existing players (new contracts are surely always slight increases), or continue to strengthen further.
Is there a benefit to keeping below the cap next year so that we can offer suitable new contracts to our existing players and also be able to continue to strengthen?

The other thing to consider is that it's easy saying we've lost 5 players and have £1million to spend, let's go and get 2 £500k superstars.
However, we also need to be able to replace the numbers to retain some squad depth.... and we've been found lacking there a few times already this season.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2019, 05:06:38 PM »
Some Quins departures, any we fancy from this list? Obviously some are retiring, and Dave Lewis is probably unwelcome ;-)

Alofa Alofa, Lewis Boyce, Henry Cheeseman, Ben Glynn, James Horwill, Josh Ibuanokpe, Dave Lewis, Mat Luamanu, Josh McNulty, George Merrick, Stan South, Phil Swainston, Charlie Walker, Luke Wallace, Dave Ward and Calum Waters.

It was fine when I left it.....

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2019, 07:46:16 PM »
Gustard really cleaning house there but doubt many Quins fans will be disappointed to see many on that list go apart maybe Boyce.

Surprised Calum Waters has been let go, not seen him apart from at A League a while back in 15s but looked a class act in the 7s this year. Maybe worth a punt as 3/4 SH