Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Squad 2019/20  (Read 7475 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Squad 2019/20
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
Theres nothing very odd about players arranging their own specific training. Remember Wasps players getting speed training with Margot Wells back in the day?

Robson, Daly & both Marcus & ANthony Watson are at a clinic being run by Speedworks

Sirker may be there, he's instagram shows he's in Loughborough Uni but no other evidence I can see

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »
Yes looks like training the players had organised off their own backs.

Sirker was there originally with the Watson brothers and there was a post from the organiser saying he’d worked with Sirker for years.
Now it seems Daly, Ford and Robson are doing some work there.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 01:00:36 PM »
I can't see Sirker making himself available for Eng 7's have just been promoted to the senior squad.. maybe whoever said he was there was mistaken.. but the same person said Marcus was there as well. Doesn't the 3rd Watson brother play for Loughborough Uni.. maybe they all know each other via the 7's scene?

Over to Andermt to see if he can confirm who he's seen there or not.

Sirker has posted a picture of himself at Loughborough, nothing showing him with the others but an assumption could be made. As none of them are in any club branded kit I took it as something the players have put together themselves

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 03:23:12 PM »
I did engineering, so haunted the pubs more than anything!

I played cricket with many of the engineers - some of whom I am still in contact with in India! I did a Management MSc. - the Rec Man MSc which was popular in the day - and was interesting until I realised I didn't like the public much!

I enjoyed the pubs and got a free pass to the post grad ones - which was nice - the one I used to go to on the canal has been built on now!

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 04:06:32 PM »
Ahh, The Albion!  That was the only pub serving when the snow caused all the power in the town to go down for a few days.  Their Christmas Noggin was legendary!

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
I didn’t go to Loughborough but my brother in law did economics there, played golf for Loughborough (a decent 4 handicap) and also was in the ultimate Frisbee team! I don’t know they had a frisbee team.  :)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 06:00:49 PM »
I have to confess to being a little lost with our signings now. Can anyone do a like for like comparison (i.e. Daly out, replaced with Fekiota etc)?

Thanks, WallyWasp by name...

I don't think there is such a clear comparison. Dai has put together a bigger squad with lots of younger players and less superstars. I doubt anyone can (yet) kick like Daly or pull off a WLR type of tap on under pressure.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 06:19:12 PM »
I fancy that every member of the squad will be challenged to take their game to the next level. Competition for shirts will be intense, especially from the younger guys in the squad.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 06:35:39 PM »
Ahh, The Albion!  That was the only pub serving when the snow caused all the power in the town to go down for a few days.  Their Christmas Noggin was legendary!

Yep - that's the one - brain fart my end. The engineers took me there! It was an odd place but nice vinyl furniture from memory!

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 09:42:57 AM »

I don't think there is such a clear comparison. Dai has put together a bigger squad with lots of younger players and less superstars. I doubt anyone can (yet) kick like Daly or pull off a WLR type of tap on under pressure.

I appreciate it probably isn't as clear cut as that, but roughly speaking do we think that core areas that we have lost due to transfers/retirements/attempts to play NFL have been accounted for? Not knowing enough about some of our signings it would be good to see roughly how it has shaped up in the in vs the out in terms of positions and "like for like" players as it were.

As I said in my original post... I'm confused!

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »
I have to confess to being a little lost with our signings now. Can anyone do a like for like comparison (i.e. Daly out, replaced with Fekiota etc)?

Thanks, WallyWasp by name...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2019–20_Premiership_Rugby_transfers

Can’t get the link to load properly from my phone. Google it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:04:19 AM by Chilham »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »
My overall feeling is that we have a better squad this coming season than we did the season just gone. There's a couple of positions that might need a bit of attention but we have a much larger squad than we've had in seasons.

A few players found form and fitness towards the end of this season, some will have gained another invaluable 12 months extra fitness, experience, and then we have a posse of eager young blood to add a bit of vitality and competition back into the squad.

We've lost 3 internationals and one former international .. but if you weren't aware of that fact beforehand, from watching their input, leadership and effect on team performance through the season.. would anyone have guessed?

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2019, 11:40:07 AM »
Because of the academy input to the list, I like the balance of EQP and foreign flags against the incomers. Not quite as good as Bath, but certainly the right way round to my mind. 1 or 2 external hires to bring in "proven quality" is fine, but we really want to see a production line of talent in the years to come.

As an aside, interesting to see Tom Varndell off to HK to play in the Global Rapid Rugby series. Yet another comp to keep an eye on. His best days may be behind him, but can't blame him for jumping at the chance to experience something new before it ends.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2019, 01:08:41 PM »

Yep - that's the one - brain fart my end. The engineers took me there! It was an odd place but nice vinyl furniture from memory!

I was an engineer, that is probably be why I liked the place.  When were you there?