Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Players converted to coaching  (Read 1582 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Players converted to coaching
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:45:48 AM »
Many hope that Gopps transitions to being a coach at Wasps.

I believe he'd make a good coach but I've possibly said it on this and the other forum before that I don't think is a productive thing for a player to become a coach at the same club.

In my mind there's too much familiarity with current players and staff, systems, idealogy. I think a good coach probably has a background in various different environments.

I always quote Tigers and Quins of internal promotion not being a healthy process whereas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48610056

ROG is really doing his apprenticeship.. different countries, different clubs, different styles. I think he was at Racing as well for a while before going to the Crusaders.

There are a number of young (ish) English coaches in France earning their corn as well (I think)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Players converted to coaching
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »
I too think he'd make a great coach

Its always hard going from poacher to be being gamekeeper and I'd expect he'd look to getting experience away from Wasps. We might get him back, or not...

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 05:41:54 PM »
"I always quote Tigers and Quins of internal promotion not being a healthy process"

Dean Richards

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 06:41:39 PM »
I think academy could be perfect. Andrea Masi seems to be doing well. Recent enough that a lot of the kids will know him, but removed from his mates etc. If he moves to seniors in a few seasons they'll have been sufficient separation.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 09:28:38 PM »
The thing is, a lot of the Tiggers/Quins coaches spent a serious amount of time (the bulk, if not all) of their careers at the one club.

Masi, Gopperth, Everard etc... have all been around multiple clubs. So are in good stead from the theory (which I agree with - certainly good to have insight/learnings from other Clubs and Methods).