Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Gleeson Signs  (Read 3760 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
It was fine when I left it.....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Gleeson Signs
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 12:38:55 PM »
Good I suppose but please a defence coach!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 12:57:38 PM »
Glad we're expanding the coaching team.

The defence coach will come. This just shows the club are commited to recruiting in the coaching department.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »
Out of the 2 areas Gleeson could possibly bring something new to I'd much prefer him to be involved in attack rather than defense.

Attack requires ideas
Defense requires effort (fitness?).

Is Costello in charge of defence? If so, its not his fault some players fall off tackles by going too high  or without committment, or finding themselves out of position  in the defnsive line.

Is Blackett in charge of the backs. If so, he's been in that position for quite some time so might have gone a bit stale with ideas.

I hope Gleeson can join us for pre-season... maybe get him involved in the 7's squad alongside Gopps as well.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
Anyone any idea if Costello is walking yet after his OP.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 01:21:56 PM »
Interesting in that there is no mention of Matt Everard being in the coaching group.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 02:59:31 PM »
Matt looks more to help youngsters coming up and integrate rather than focusing on defence attack etc. More personable one on one is the impression i get.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 06:52:30 PM »
Hmmm, two attack coaches! Is two heads better than one or will there be conflict?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 08:29:11 PM »
Don't know anything about him but for me it's the right area to recruit in. Much was made of our frailty in defence last year but the bigger issue was our attack. For me the defensive issues were as much about mindset as organisation and we occasionally defended well whereas we were coherent in attack far less often.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 09:44:53 PM »
He looks a very uncompromising individual from his playing clips. This may represent a change of the guard on the attack side. Dai has yet to dispense with a coach IIRC - they have all left him.

"Our current coaches have done an excellent job," said Young. "I'm really pleased with how they have developed in their first Premiership coaching roles."

That is a v strange comment. The coaching team are not there to gain experience and move on to a better job.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:52:27 PM by backdoc »

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »
He looks a very uncompromising individual from his playing clips. This may represent a change of the guard on the attack side. Dai has yet to dispense with a coach IIRC - they have all left him.

"Our current coaches have done an excellent job," said Young. "I'm really pleased with how they have developed in their first Premiership coaching roles."

That is a v strange comment. The coaching team are not there to gain experience and move on to a better job.

Blake was definitely dispensed of...

As for the comment, I'd say he's just complementing coaches on doing well. You can't be sure if a coach will make the step up, and ours seem to have.

People moaning about bringing in attack, rather than defence, should perhaps look at where the largest swing in our points difference has come from in the last few seasons.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 07:32:45 AM »
Which coaches "have developed in their first Premiership coaching roles"??

Is this Costello's first year? It certainly isn't Blackett's or Titterall's?

Leaking tries, giving silly penalties aways is most likely a side effect of other things happening in the game and a defensive coach can only do so much on the training paddock. Defense is about fitness, comittment and positioning. How much coaching does that actually need? I still think our lack of competition at the breakdown gives the opposition too much "free" phase ball to the point it sometimes looks like the opposition is doing a training run against us.

If a player needs to be taught how to tackle or know where to stand in a defensive line then they shouldn't be earning a living as a rugby professional.

All sports rely on finishing the game with more points than the opposition (or getting to the line first), and that should always be the first goal (no pun intended).

If our attack improves, no doubt our defensive performances will as well, as teams tend to tire more quickly spending more time defending than they do attacking, which proably explains why we've leaked so many points in the last 20 mins this last season.

I wonder what is going to happen to Blackett though. He's been at the club for a long time, is it time to move him elsewhere. Will he view Gleeson's arrival as a sign to move on to pastures new?

The creativity of pre-planned moves in the backs off 1st phase (or 2nd or 3rd) has been woefull and these are things that can be planned and practised on the training paddock but it appears very little of that is taking place.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 07:39:17 AM »

It's worth noting that he's in as "assistant" attack coach, so presumably learning from Blackett, potentially to allow Lee to focus on backs stuff so gleeson can work on an all round attack plan of he works out

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 07:51:06 AM »
Which coaches "have developed in their first Premiership coaching roles"??

Is this Costello's first year? It certainly isn't Blackett's or Titterall's?

Leaking tries, giving silly penalties aways is most likely a side effect of other things happening in the game and a defensive coach can only do so much on the training paddock. Defense is about fitness, comittment and positioning. How much coaching does that actually need? I still think our lack of competition at the breakdown gives the opposition too much "free" phase ball to the point it sometimes looks like the opposition is doing a training run against us.

If a player needs to be taught how to tackle or know where to stand in a defensive line then they shouldn't be earning a living as a rugby professional.

All sports rely on finishing the game with more points than the opposition (or getting to the line first), and that should always be the first goal (no pun intended).

If our attack improves, no doubt our defensive performances will as well, as teams tend to tire more quickly spending more time defending than they do attacking, which proably explains why we've leaked so many points in the last 20 mins this last season.

I wonder what is going to happen to Blackett though. He's been at the club for a long time, is it time to move him elsewhere. Will he view Gleeson's arrival as a sign to move on to pastures new?

The creativity of pre-planned moves in the backs off 1st phase (or 2nd or 3rd) has been woefull and these are things that can be planned and practised on the training paddock but it appears very little of that is taking place.

You quote dai saying role and then say year yourself. In terms of role, yes, it's Costellos, Tittrrals and Blacketts.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 08:03:26 AM »
Ah. I mis-read it.. I read it as first year (season) of coaching in the premiership not first coaching role in the premiership